Need help with Cattle prices in 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

CabinetMaker

Reaction score
Hi all.
I was wondering if someone could help me find a website, where I can find slaughter calf prices for the weeks of April 16th and 23rd, in Central Florida. I believe I was ripped off, but I don't know where to find evidence. I appreciate all your help.
Thanks a bunch.

CabinetMaker":cvzqym75 said:
Hi all.
I was wondering if someone could help me find a website, where I can find slaughter calf prices for the weeks of April 16th and 23rd, in Central Florida. I believe I was ripped off, but I don't know where to find evidence. I appreciate all your help.
Thanks a bunch.

A little late to worry about that now.

I haven't had to pay for it yet. Long, unbelievable story.
I need to find what prices were for a new born, 200lb steer for the weeks in April. Where do you guys get your prices? Can anyone please, point me to a specific website that would have that information?
Are the prices different for different ages and breed of cattle? I'm not personally a rancher, so I don't know. I wasn't given any information, other than that.
I figured I would come to this website and ask you nice ranchers for help. I wish I would have thought of this a long time ago.
The person is claiming market price of 3.00 lb.
Thanks so much for your help.

Sounds pretty close to me for a 200lb calf in April depending on the calf and where you are. I'll admit though I never seen a 200lb newborn steer calf.

CabinetMaker":1dkfid9l said:
I haven't had to pay for it yet. Long, unbelievable story.
I need to find what prices were for a new born, 200lb steer for the weeks in April. Where do you guys get your prices? Can anyone please, point me to a specific website that would have that information?
Are the prices different for different ages and breed of cattle? I'm not personally a rancher, so I don't know. I wasn't given any information, other than that.
I figured I would come to this website and ask you nice ranchers for help. I wish I would have thought of this a long time ago.
The person is claiming market price of 3.00 lb.
Thanks so much for your help.

$3.00 a pound could have been the value. Where is the calf now and how much does it weigh?

A market report wouldn't tell you much. Something like that could have a huge range in value. The paticular calf, could very well have been worth that the time. The right place, the right time, the right buyer.

Thank you for your responses.
The calf is dead. I don't know what it was killed by, but it was some sort of predator. The people are claiming it was killed by a specific predator and ONLY by that predator, no other.
I admit, I have no idea what I'm looking at, when I look at those market reports. I have no idea who, or where they sell their cattle. I have no idea what kind of cattle they have and it seems they don't have to produce any of this information.
The calf wasn't tagged, (It was a newborn,) and they just, 'believe,' the calf was 200lb, by their, 'expert eyes,' to weigh a calf by looking at the carcass. They are a hobby farm.
I am forced to take their word and they have lied about everything, so I needed some sort of evidence.
Thank you for your advice.

New born? Did they ever see it up alive? Sounds like it was possibly dead on arrival.

Trying to figure out the jist of this thread , from the cryptic dialogue I assume you bought a calf for 500.00 and at weaning you get the calf. It's dead now and they are still wanting you to pay for it.

callmefence":3s8fo05r said:
M-5":3s8fo05r said:
Trying to figure out the jist of this thread , from the cryptic dialogue I assume you bought a calf for 500.00 and at weaning you get the calf. It's dead now and they are still wanting you to pay for it.

Where did you get the 500.00?

He don't know what prices were I sure as heII don't I just guessed

callmefence":3afwmec7 said:
:2cents: If your dog killed a calf you are responsible for the value of that calf weaning..imo :2cents:
I think you might have figured it out! This thread didn't make any sense tell you said that

Mat Man is right. Newborn calves are in the 50-125 lb range. I have seen a very few holsteins in the 150 lb range but they are not common. And a newborn is not a steer until they band or castrate it. Most calves that are in the 200 lb range arr 1-3 months old. What breed? The "long story" you are referring to needs to be explained for anyone to give you a fair opinion. And if this was a case of a dog killing, then it must have been documented by a sheriff or some type of law enforcement officer? We have had to have animal control for the times we had sheep killed or harrassed to the point of dying from exhaustion or aborting their lambs.... in order to put a claim against a dog owner. Every state is different.... sounds like you need to look into this more.

If your dog killed a calf the farmer really lost the value of the calf at weaning. If you pay for what a newborn calf would sell for the farmer will loose money. He will have to pay upkeep on a cow for a year that isn't producing anything.

Latest posts