need help picking ai bull

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for a bull to AI my Hereford cow to. This will be her 2nd calf.
I'm torn between going Hereford or going Angus, but these are what I'd like:

Good feet
good temperament
blocky, shorter in stature, with good muscle
If she has a steer it'll be for beef for us, heifer, maybe sell?? That's why I'd like a shorter cow, we're on only 4 acres, and docility is important also.
Guess I could ask about what MG he has in his tank too, oh decisions, decisions...

Her first calf was easily popped out, a 66 pound Murray Gray, so could go bigger, but don't want a trainwreck either.
My AI guy is with ABS, so it would help if suggestions are for common bulls---
Gotta decide before tonight :) so of course I;m at work now... so I can't agonaize too much over it.
Thanks!
Susie

We've used H119 and really like the claves, thick and chunky about 80-85 lbs but are born easy.
Haven't had many heifers from him in 3-4 years. Retained one from last year and probably one from this year, the only 2 heifers we've gotten from him. The older heifer is a lot like her mother was almost too calm. The heifer this year is curious and just kind of hangs around, not flighty at all. Her mother is a complete lunatic this year so obviously she doesn;t take after her mother. But until this year her mother was calm and easy going too, just not friendly.

dun

Susie,

I would go 878 he is an abs bull easy to find good all around bull. Hybrid vigor is one of the few things in life that is close to free. The steer will grow great and sell better. While the Black and white faced heifer will be easy to sell as a replacement.

878 isnt perfect the cross should more than make up for your problems.
All this coming from a red guy (angus and hereford)
When I am going to sell or eat the progeny this is the cross I use.

MD

dun":3eir1x5c said:
We've used H119 and really like the claves, thick and chunky about 80-85 lbs but are born easy.
Haven't had many heifers from him in 3-4 years. Retained one from last year and probably one from this year, the only 2 heifers we've gotten from him. The older heifer is a lot like her mother was almost too calm. The heifer this year is curious and just kind of hangs around, not flighty at all. Her mother is a complete lunatic this year so obviously she doesn;t take after her mother. But until this year her mother was calm and easy going too, just not friendly.

dun

I thought H119 was a pretty dern long...but I could be thinking about a different bull...who knows

Heritage_Farmboy":186vaii7 said:
dun":186vaii7 said:

dun

I thought H119 was a pretty dern long...but I could be thinking about a different bull...who knows

Haven't noticed the length but the width and depth are sure noticable

dun

dun":25n09p2a said:
Heritage_Farmboy":25n09p2a said:
dun":25n09p2a said:

dun

Haven't noticed the length but the width and depth are sure noticable

dun

maybe im thinking about a different bull...my memory aint what it used to be...I was just wondering because she said she wanted something short ...maybe she was talking about short in height...not in length

Take care

Hill Creek Farm":eb7emppe said:
Use DR World Class 517 10H or SHF Red Oak M326 R96. Take and look them up at http://www.hereford.org. :cboy:

She needs an ABS bull, unless they are alittle different out west (possible) ABS selection of hereford bulls is slim, better horned than polled in my opinion but not really that good either way. I think lagrande reload is their top selling hereford (at least around here)
For only a couple straws not worth the shipping, for the result.

MD

Heritage_FarmboyHaven't noticed the length but the width and depth are sure noticable dun[/quote said:
maybe im thinking about a different bull...my memory aint what it used to be...I was just wondering because she said she wanted something short ...maybe she was talking about short in height...not in length

Take care

I was thinking stature when I mentioned him not body length

dun

dun":1ycpautf said:
Heritage_FarmboyHaven't noticed the length but the width and depth are sure noticable dun[/quote:1ycpautf said:

Take care

I was thinking stature when I mentioned him not body length

dun

I read it again and it does say shorter in stature...you were right...sorry about the mix-up dun :)

Take care and have a good day

An ABS bull that we've had success with is Ironwood New Level. His calves were the most gentle natured Angus sired calves last year, and grew well with adequate muscling.

Another bull that seems to fit your criteria, but is available through Select Sires is Rito 6I6: easy calving, good growth, good disposition, and smaller in frame.

Try this one:

thumbsup2.jpg

We have used him & are very pleased with the results....
both heifers and bulls. Loads of muscle/(beef).

SAF Connection (ABS Bull) Great Dispositions good depth and length, adequate muscling with a very low Mature Wt EPD (reduced stature). Good luck everyone has given you some good options.

My suggestion for Angus would be Rito 6I6 (12530601) He is one of the top bulls for disposition and is a med frame (6.2) and has lots of muscle, great female producer too.

OCC Magnitude, Woodhill Foresight, or N Bar Prime Time would all be good choices from ABS.

susie":3kn1j1gx said:
I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for a bull to AI my Hereford cow to. This will be her 2nd calf.
I'm torn between going Hereford or going Angus, but these are what I'd like:

Good feet
good temperament
blocky, shorter in stature, with good muscle
If she has a steer it'll be for beef for us, heifer, maybe sell?? That's why I'd like a shorter cow, we're on only 4 acres, and docility is important also.
Guess I could ask about what MG he has in his tank too, oh decisions, decisions...

Her first calf was easily popped out, a 66 pound Murray Gray, so could go bigger, but don't want a trainwreck either.
My AI guy is with ABS, so it would help if suggestions are for common bulls---
Gotta decide before tonight :) so of course I;m at work now... so I can't agonaize too much over it.
Thanks!
Susie

I say take at look at Bon View New Design 878, too. He's moderately priced, ABS has him, thousands birth weights reported. Our experience has been moderate frame and good disposition, plus good gain on feed test and good ultrasound data. We also used their Woodhill Foresight bull this year, but no calves on the ground yet. Good luck...

Thanks for all the suggestions!
So I couldn't get off work before the AI guy showed up, and for some reason he couldn't get through to my extension at work, so I asked my hubby to pass my request on to the AI guy, what I'd like in a bull.
So I got there and they had decided on Rito Rito , so we'll be getting a black baldy. I think it'll be fine, our cow has plenty of length, and the bull appears to be stocky. I want a more moderate frame also.
I just couldn't get passed that comment on hybrid vigor, and I think black baldies make good mommas too. Not that I can complain about my Hereford at all.

Any comments or experience with this bull?
Thanks!

Susie

Latest posts