Need Help Now!

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
A brangus heifer in our chapter is trying to calf. It has been 2.5 hours since her water broke. She hasn't made any progress from this point. What should he try next? Does he need to give it more time? He called a vet, but they haven't called him back.

ffamom":2ofurqbs said:
A brangus heifer in our chapter is trying to calf. It has been 2.5 hours since her water broke. She hasn't made any progress from this point. What should he try next? Does he need to give it more time? He called a vet, but they haven't called him back.

I would get her in a chute, glove up and find out how that calf is presented.

Well...is she down and straining with no progress? Or has she not started pushing yet?

Could always don a sleeve and check it out.

We tried that. Once you get up to your elbows, she goes ballistic. You can't feel anything up to that point.

She is down and having contractions. Her labor doesn't seem as intense as the heifers I have observed in the past.

Need a better chute.

'Course...if you folks are checking on this heifer every 10 minutes and she keeps jumping to her feet, I wouldn't wonder that she hasn't made progress. Let her do her job.

milkmaid":36valj2g said:
Need a better chute.

'Course...if you folks are checking on this heifer every 10 minutes and she keeps jumping to her feet, I wouldn't wonder that she hasn't made progress. Let her do her job.

Can't argue with logic like that!

milkmaid":3cg8mjeu said:
Need a better chute.

I would take milkmaids advice I believe. :)

We are city folks that are lucky enough to have an ag barn. If the heifer is going to have problems, she has to have them before 10:00 pm. After that point, the vet will not help. To complicate matters it is a 45 minute drive to get there. One minute after 10, and the vet doesn't care if your heifer dies or her calf dies. I wish we had the liberty to walk away and know that help is not far. This is the only help we are going to get.

If you sleeved her and are Sure you can't feel a calf then nothing you can do but wait. Don't get over excited around her you will just do the same to the heifer.

ffamom":3hkkthej said:
We are city folks that are lucky enough to have an ag barn. If the heifer is going to have problems, she has to have them before 10:00 pm. After that point, the vet will not help. To complicate matters it is a 45 minute drive to get there. One minute after 10, and the vet doesn't care if your heifer dies or her calf dies. I wish we had the liberty to walk away and know that help is not far. This is the only help we are going to get.

Back off and leave her alone Dang she doesn't know whats going on and you wantabeees are stressing the holy crapola out of her. It is amazing cows are able to calf around the world ever day without people.

Just got word. The heifer died. I guess in the city, they just don't calf like they do in the country.

ffamom":1teoovnr said:
Just got word. The heifer died. I guess in the city, they just don't calf like they do in the country.

NO, they calve the same way every time. Better luck next time. Be sure your chapter learns from this.

Scotty

Scotty":2yguqygb said:
ffamom":2yguqygb said:

NO, they calve the same way every time. Better luck next time. Be sure your chapter learns from this.

Scotty

Something smells here Scotty I have seen as well as you even on breech heifers live for days . They couldn't feel the calf when they gloved her, even on breech they should of been able to feel the calf.

ffamom":zeg6ee1g said:

Uh huh. She just laid down and died.

What's the rest of the story?

ffamom":1t0uxz86 said:

Heifer's calve the same the world over - complete with all the possible complications and potential problems. Methinks there is a little more to this story than is being presented on this board.

ffamom":3mc44x91 said:
ffamom, where are ya'll at.

msscamp":3aqu7rot said:
ffamom":3aqu7rot said:

Heifer's calve the same the world over - complete with all the possible complications and potential problems. Methinks there is a little more to this story than is being presented on this board.

Methinks meagree. Shoot her straight.

Scotty

cowboy13":2w0rlnnb said:
la4angus":2w0rlnnb said:
ffamom":2w0rlnnb said:
ffamom, where are ya'll at.

They are in one of the big cities of Texas because her son won something at San Antonio.

You talking out of your mouth or what?

Scotty

Latest posts