Need help fattening a few bulls in Pakistan!

Help Support CattleToday:

Haha well now you know another Daniyal :p. But I'm not him. I have his book "In Other Rooms, Other Wonders" and have read the first few short stories. I really liked them.

I just noticed the pictures I posted have automatically been cropped.

@Deepsouth thanks for the tip

@M-5 Yes they are definitely much slower to mature. I just hope their feed conversion isn't bad.

Now that I've insulted you making fun of your order buyer :oops: I still got to say that's funny. I have a few questions. What where they eating before you bought them? Their toes may be long from not walking around IDK, but one certainly looks like it's getting ski footed. Are they tied constantly like that?

I am fascinated by the tieing too. Please tell more about that.

They sure don't look stunted. but the weight age proportion would sure make you think they should be. How much does a full grown cow weigh?

The Arabics I sell to over here do not like any fat cover on their meat. So I have to be real careful and feed slow and let the calves frame grow. If those calves are done growing frame you are very limited in the lbs you can put on them.

PS- I have never met an Arab over here that I did not like.
I know several from Pakistan and once you get them past the idea of "wheelin and dealin" with you I enjoy having them as customers. I know its in their culture to enjoy dickering over price but, I hate it. Also thought there might be issues with me being a woman dealing with Arabs, but theres not. the Arabs(that I have met so far) actually tend to be better with it than half the American men(that I have met).

Howdyjabo":2alnfb90 said:
I know several from Pakistan and once you get them past the idea of "wheelin and dealin" with you I enjoy having them as customers. I know its in their culture to enjoy dickering over price but, I hate it. Also thought there might be issues with me being a woman dealing with Arabs, but theres not. the Arabs(that I have met so far) actually tend to be better with it than half the American men(that I have met).

You just ain't met the right American man :lol2:

JMJ Farms":8gi63tfl said:
Howdyjabo":8gi63tfl said:

You just ain't met the right American man :lol2:

I'll play chuck woolery is this a love connection happening here on C.T. ? :pretty: :pretty: :pretty: :pretty: :pretty:

DanMan":3m6ssd2p said:
Haha well now you know another Daniyal :p. But I'm not him. I have his book "In Other Rooms, Other Wonders" and have read the first few short stories. I really liked them.

I just noticed the pictures I posted have automatically been cropped.

I have that book too. Wonderful writer, one of my favorites of the past few years.

Hook em! Just curious what's usually in those empy feed troughs? What do you grow/buy there for feed? Why do you tie em up? What sort of degree did you get in Austin? Why did you move back "home?"

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting to see that part of the world. Hope they work out well for you. Is there any pasture there? This is random, but is that a water buffalo in the background in the last photo?

Bigfoot":k0rmccn2 said:
Now that I've insulted you making fun of your order buyer :oops: I still got to say that's funny. I have a few questions. What where they eating before you bought them? Their toes may be long from not walking around IDK, but one certainly looks like it's getting ski footed. Are they tied constantly like that?

When did I make fun of my gardener? He has been with us for quite some time. They have been tied for the past 2-3 weeks, since we are constructing a small shed for them.

Howdyjabo":k0rmccn2 said:
I am fascinated by the tieing too. Please tell more about that.

They sure don't look stunted. but the weight age proportion would sure make you think they should be. How much does a full grown cow weigh?

The Arabics I sell to over here do not like any fat cover on their meat. So I have to be real careful and feed slow and let the calves frame grow. If those calves are done growing frame you are very limited in the lbs you can put on them.

What would you like to know about the tieing?
Unfortunately the market over here isn't very scientific or accurate. People here do not know the exact weights etc. They just have their own metrics for analyzing (mostly visual). I've mostly seen 1 y/o Sahiwals to be around the 200 kg mark (440 lbs), however I have very limited experience. The lack of weight gain might be attributed to lack of proper nutrition though.

Howdyjabo":k0rmccn2 said:

Haha Pakistanis and Arabs are completely different people/race. And it's not really in our culture to haggle, but many people do. Americans would too, if their GPD per capita was less than US$ 2,000. And most Pakistanis are very nice people. There are exceptions everywhere in the world though.

Kingfisher":k0rmccn2 said:
Hook em! Just curious what's usually in those empy feed troughs? What do you grow/buy there for feed? Why do you tie em up? What sort of degree did you get in Austin? Why did you move back "home?"

Hook em' Horns. In fact I was wearing my UT T-Shirt on my last visit to the farm :p.

The feed has only two things I believe. Wheat straw and Berseem fodder. I am going to post a picture of an empty trough so you can gauge the % composition of the two components.
In different seasons the fodder changes. I think we do Maize and Jowar (Sorghum). My lack of information is primarily due to the fact that I returned recently. Plus we do not live on the farm. We live in the city. We have workers for all the farmwork.
They are tied right now because a space is being constructed for them. Plus my farm manager said they will fight with each other if not tied.

I did my bachelors in Biomedical Engineering. Moved back home because that's where I always wanted to live. Although I do really like the United States :)

A.J.":k0rmccn2 said:
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting to see that part of the world. Hope they work out well for you. Is there any pasture there? This is random, but is that a water buffalo in the background in the last photo?

Yes water buffalos are extremely common in Pakistan and India, especially in the Punjab region. In fact most village folk prefer their meat (higher fat content) and milk over cows. They are very gentle and docile as compared to cows. And bigger than Bos Indicus.

This is the best breed for milk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niliravi

Posting all pictures from last post. Resized properly this time. Mod please allow me access to edit previous posts, so that I can put these images there.

14wrsiw.jpg

f19ta8.jpg

Random new dog in the background.
125nqyw.jpg

This guy is the biggest I think. Old lab chilling in the background.
2505zzt.jpg

263es9i.jpg

2lbyopl.jpg

Hybrid corn seed being dried in the sun. We are primarily a Seed Research farm.
20ix6c1.jpg

1fad5s.jpg

Our buffalo that just gave birth a day ago (with respect to the picture taking date)
6igrb5.jpg

Artificial insemination being performed.
2rc4mty.jpg

Many people feed on pasture, but we primarily use our land for cash-crops and research.

I think I'm being suckered in on this one but just in case I'm not the quickest thing you can do to make them put on a few pounds is to cut them. Your straw contains little to no nutrients and therefore will not cause them to gain weight very fast. If you have access to corn put them on that along with the straw. Let them eat all they want if you've only got 7 months before sale. Don't know what you have for food over there.

Not sure why a lot of people are suspicious on this board, but I assure you this forum can be accessed from everywhere in the world.

As for feed, we have pretty much everything available. The land here is very fertile and is cultivated year round. I think I will go with corn grain and wheat straw then.

Would adding forage to the mix impede corn digestion?

DANMAN, Over the years here some characters have developed a second persona just to have a little fun. I would say you are the first to my knowledge from that part of the world that has actually been active in the forum.

I would suggest looking at some the post on feed topics that Texasbred has made over the years

Latest posts