Need answers on Beefmaster bull bloodlines

Help Support CattleToday:

stelg

Reaction score
We recently looked at two beefmaster bulls. One has Rushman bloodlines. He is mostly a chocolate color with a few patches of white on his underline. Extremely clean bull with a good top line. The other has Soulman bloodlines. He is solid black. We had beefmaster cattle about 5 years ago. I think I remember Rushman, but I do not know anything about Soulman. When we sold our beefmasters, I remember alot of breeders trying to breed in to black colors. I don't know if I want to get a black beefmaster bull. Something about a black beefmaster just doesn't seem right. Any advice would be appreciated.

stelg":34fdkg2b said:
We recently looked at two beefmaster bulls. One has Rushman bloodlines. He is mostly a chocolate color with a few patches of white on his underline. Extremely clean bull with a good top line. The other has Soulman bloodlines. He is solid black. We had beefmaster cattle about 5 years ago. I think I remember Rushman, but I do not know anything about Soulman. When we sold our beefmasters, I remember alot of breeders trying to breed in to black colors. I don't know if I want to get a black beefmaster bull. Something about a black beefmaster just doesn't seem right. Any advice would be appreciated.
well i dont know anything about the rushman bloodlines.but as for soulman he is 1 of the hottest bulls in the beefmaster breed.if you had some more info on the rushman bloodlines i might could help.i dont know.but if you dont want black calves dont buy the soulman son.

stelg":2sl15xbu said:
Is Soulman from the Black Magic bloodlines?
im thinking that he is from black magic bloodlines.but i cant sware to it.i know this black magic is just as hot as soulman.like you i dont really care for black beefmasters.but id buy a son or daughter of those 2 bulls no question.

I sent an email to the Beefmaster Breeders Union (BBU) after we had been to the FW Stock show. Both the Grand and Reserve Champions heifers were black and this bothered me. With the 3 breeds crossed to get a beefmaster, it seemed very unlikely you would wind up with a black animal. (My bull is paint, my momma cows are red.) I jokingly asked if there had been an Angus slipped in on them. Two days later, I got a PHONE CALL from the BBU. The gentleman was very nice and explained that more than likely the black animals come from their "Upgrade" program. You take a registered animal and breed to another breed and the re-breed back until you wind up with a "full blood" animal. I think this is mis-leading since you never truly get a full blood animal back. I think this is beefmasters answer to the black hide frenzy the market has seen the last several years.

I will never upgrade any of my animals and try to "pass" them off. I think that is cheating.

Anyway, just thought I would share. You might want to question the breeder with the black bull and see if this is the case.

If I were you I would steer away from anything out of soulman. It was proven in court that he had angus blood in him. Here is a letter we recieved from BBU concerning Soulman.
lastscan4.jpg

even black magic goes back to brangus I will say this bulls like black magic and black cavalier are probably 95% beefmaster cause the only thing they really inherited was the color but they look like beefmasters but i stick to red i would try something from havanna,rangers pride,cherokees appeal ,commando oh and I'll tell you the next bull thats about to explode on to the scene over the next couple of the months and that jungle tiger I would but semen on him now if I were you just to get a head start he dang good and harrod farms just 2000 dollars this month on his advertisement
ans he's a U 1/1 cleans up any hang down and adds conformation and disposition to anything I've got picture if his calves so if you want I can email them if you would like to see them

The way I read that letter, they can register offspring until 6-07. So any calves born from those bulls can be registered and their offspring registered as well, which will keep the black gene going.

Still sounds fishy to me.

i hope i dont make anyone madd here.but yall are right the black beefmasters came from an angus in the woodpile.ive got a friend thats a bigwigg in the beefmasters.an i asked him about the linage of the black beefmasters.an he dodged the question.all though i have friends with reg beefmasters an they dont mind buying the black beefmasters.

As long as they are allowed to register those black animals, people will continue to buy them. I don't know who came up with the "Upgrade" program, but IMO it make the whole association look bad, those who did it and those who made it legal.

BTRANCH":3dps3q3m said:
As long as they are allowed to register those black animals, people will continue to buy them. I don't know who came up with the "Upgrade" program, but IMO it make the whole association look bad, those who did it and those who made it legal.
ive got a beefmaster bull running with crossbred cows.but i will not be putting them in the upgrade program.im going to buy top quality reg beefmaster cows an heifers to start my herd with.selling the grade up animales is great in BBU E6 program sales.

I look at all breeds of cattle and realize that there is no such thing as pure bloods....But with modern Breed ie.(Brangus, Murry Greys, Gerts, Beef masters and so on) I see composits made for there location..Usually hot dry areas...So it is funny to me that such breeds open Reg. would be a problem..and how the word full blood applies.

I have crossbred cows that I plan on submitting the best heifers for the E-6 program, which I think is a great idea. Past that, I don't agree with the other philosophy. We have made a commitment to the breed and will stick with it for now.

BTRANCH":1v41yx9q said:
I have crossbred cows that I plan on submitting the best heifers for the E-6 program, which I think is a great idea. Past that, I don't agree with the other philosophy. We have made a commitment to the breed and will stick with it for now.
Hey bt ranch you wouldn't happen to have anything for sale if so email me with some prices and such

BTRANCH":1a5oji2p said:
Thats what we are doing also. It took us awhile to find the beefmasters that we bought. They are purebred and some of the original bloodline. I do have my bulls with some half beefmaster heifers that I raised and crossbred cows. Out of those heifers borned I will, like you pick the best ones for the E-6 program.
As hot as the black beefmasters are at this moment. We have decided not to purchase any cows or bulls. Solids and paints sell well at the shows ,So we have decided to keep going with what we have. I over heard 2 oldtimers at the last show we went to. Both have been in the BBU since it first started. And they were talking about the black beefmaster. They were both highly upset that BBU reg.these animal. They decided amoung themselves it's a phase. Maybe so ......

i remember the first information i got on beefmasters in the 70's (when i was just a boy) they were breeding regardless of color or horns and had a breed type they were after. they were painted and solid and white faced, i don't remember any thing black at all. they had to pass inspection for body confirmation and other criteria.

Joy in Texas":7z9xeav0 said:
BTRANCH":7z9xeav0 said:
Thats what we are doing also. It took us awhile to find the beefmasters that we bought. They are purebred and some of the original bloodline. I do have my bulls with some half beefmaster heifers that I raised and crossbred cows. Out of those heifers borned I will, like you pick the best ones for the E-6 program.
As hot as the black beefmasters are at this moment. We have decided not to purchase any cows or bulls. Solids and paints sell well at the shows ,So we have decided to keep going with what we have. I over heard 2 oldtimers at the last show we went to. Both have been in the BBU since it first started. And they were talking about the black beefmaster. They were both highly upset that BBU reg.these animal. They decided amoung themselves it's a phase. Maybe so ......
joy i doubt the black beefmaster are a phase.i think they are here to stay.like you id rather have the reds or paint beefmasters.but ive made my mind up that im going to build a top herd of beefmaster cows no matter the color.the black beefmasters are pricey.

Color was not one of the essentials that Mr. Lasater built the breed on. But, since the black color is generally dominant over red, once you get it into the breed, it will be hard to get it out.

Frankie":2ewdmopv said:
Color was not one of the essentials that Mr. Lasater built the breed on. But, since the black color is generally dominant over red, once you get it into the breed, it will be hard to get it out.
well Frankie at least they're not that many of them

manaftergodsheart413":3ratn49x said:
Frankie":3ratn49x said:
well Frankie at least they're not that many of them

Are you sure?

Latest posts