need advice please

Help Support CattleToday:

mjbreitkreuz

Reaction score
I have a 2 week old bull calf that seems listless, has a swollen stomach, and is having the runs. She seems to be eating ok. she just doesnt look right...any advice would be greatly appreciated. thankyou

mjbreitkreuz":oxcihjlt said:
I have a 2 week old bull calf that seems listless, has a swollen stomach, and is having the runs. She seems to be eating ok. she just doesnt look right...any advice would be greatly appreciated. thankyou

i dont have the answer to your question, just some more questions or considerations that can cause this... what condition is the cow in, and how much milk is she giving.. the calf scours could be from rich milk, which they will usually get over ok... the listlessness could be a result of his/her stomach hurting..

the part that i am wondering about it the swollen stomach... pot guttedness in calves results usually from lack of nutrition, but at 2 weeks, i am not sure it would be showing up yet... you might be better off to let a vet examine this calf... or find someone in your area with expericence to advise you...

maybe some others will add to this for you..

jt

Brokenmouth,
I was thinking the exact same thing.

It reminds me of when people say a calf can be "out of" such and such a bull.....

the swollen stomach could be from the virus causing the runs, i used electroytes & some med the vet gave me to put down their throat

mjbreitkreuz, is the calf's stomach painful? Does she/he kick at it or if you manipulate the belly is there discomfort? Which came first the runs or the swelling?

No, the calfs stomach seems not to be painful to him. His runs came first. before the swelling. Doesnt seem to be painful to the stomach due to manipulation. thanks for all comments and suggestions.

mbreitkreuz

Are the runs whitish? I am wondering about scours, a scour tablet can help with that if the calf seems dehydrated then maybe try some electrolytes.
It's hard to say without seeing the calf. My best suggestion, call the vet. It might cost a little but it's more money out of your pocket if the calf dies.
Let us know what happens.

Thanyou everyone for your expertise and responses. It is greatly appreciated. My husband stopped at the vets. The Vet figured by the sounds of the symptoms it could be one of two things in his opinion. the calf may have a infection caused by the umbilical cord, or possibly have a twisted gut. he gave my husband a drug name BORGAL. 3 CC 2xDAY. We gave one dose, and the calf seemed better the next day. But today he seemed lethargic again. The mother doesnt have a very big bag and we are wondering if the calf is getting enough milk. Should we try to bottle feed? Your opinions are grteatly appreciated. thankyou.

mBreitkreuz

I would try to supplement the calf until you know it is getting enough to eat. Is there somewhere you can put the mom & calf & really watch to see how many times and how long it is nursing? Also if it is nursing all quarters. At least by giving it a bottle - it has the chance to eat if it is hungry. Some will just refuse to take a bottle even if it is hungry so watch for dehydration. Also keep in mind that giving the calf milk replacer is a change of diet from mom so it could make scours worse. I would give it some probiotics for a few dayst too.

Latest posts