Need advice on what to raise and how to do it

Help Support CattleToday:

SMiller

Reaction score
I live in North Central Indiana. I have 10 acres rented for $30 a month, it is fenced in and comes with a small open faced shed. I have to pay the electric bill every month for it as well (has own meter box) The pasture is 10 miles from my house. I have raised Hoistein steers before but on a small level, they were very gentle cattle and gained weight nicely, but sold cheap compared to everything else. The pasture has had cows on it for years but hasn't had anything on it this year, I have bushhoged it twice and have it looking decent. There is 24 acres fenced in thats in corn that is attached to the pasture that I could probally turn the cows out on after harvest with a little work. I am thinking of using some harvest money to buy cows and put them on the pasture yet this fall. I am not sure what kind of cows to get and what weight to buy them and sell them, I don't know how many the 10 acres will support, and if it's stupid to get them this fall instead of waiting till spring. Any and all help would be great. I hate to sound stupid but want to put all the facts out there so I can get better ideas. Would it be best for me to buy them at 400lbs and grass feed them out to 800lbs and resell them? I am very good about making sure my cows ALWAYS have plenty of food and water and that they get there shots and a protein\dewormer block. Thanks again!

We bought yearlings at about 400-500 lbs Held them for sround 7 mo and sold them at 850-900. They didn't gain like I thought they would and it was really expensive. We bought in the fall and had to feed hay plus the range cubes and corn. Learned my lesson--I wait for early spring and sell about Nov. They graze and the grain and cubes go farther. Hope this helps a little. :)

And yet another post on stockers! At least that's what I took from your term of "cows"....

What kinda grass do you have? Of only 10 acres in Indiana that sounds like you could put on half a dozen stockers (most popular breed seems to be black angus) for the grazing season. Split the ten acres into 2.5 acres to better control your grazing, and get a more evenly grazed pasture. In the summer you could use temperary electric fencing for their paddocks, and control them thataway. And buy your stockers at 500 to 600 lbs, 400 is too small IMHO. By the end of the summer those stockers'll weigh about 800 lbs, no need to really graze them in the corn stalks unless you have a nice dry summer with scant grass. Unless you want to feed them over winter (buying hay bales for them), it's probably best to wait 'til spring to purchase a few head then sell them/butcher them in the fall.

Lets see what other folks have to say. ;-)

I started on 10 acres. I tried everything from stockers to finishing to cow/calf. The most profit I ever got off 10 acres was fall calving a 6 head cow / calf arrangement. Fall calving was key though. It allowed me to get a good bull for less money and bring the calves from weanlings through feedlot on grass. Calves hit in August giving momma fall grass and sold the following June when the spring grass was all ate up. That would also allow you to use those corn stalks for wintering and increase your profitability more. I would also be VERY VERY selective about my cows and breeding. Wean weight and yearling weight can vary by 100 - 200 lbs per calf depending on the bull and cows. That's all the profit. It also made a big difference when I broke the pasture up as mentioned in a previous post.

I still operate that way, but my acreage has increased and I've gone to seedstock which has pushed me to spring calving.

I am still looking for all the help I can get, I don't want to get into breeding or bottle calfs, would like to keep it simple. I am trying to get my pasture to snuff right now waiting on more advice, I am grateful for all advice!

If you don't have a hard time accessing that acerage in the winter (can you get a tractor with hay to them, can you provide a source of water to them), then look at getting weaned steer calves yet this fall. In the fall they are down in price from spring. Figure the cost of buying hay, your time, rent and elec. Having that corn feild will help. Buy a beef breed ~ they will hold better through the winter. Don't give them their shots if they have not already had them. I would for sure worm them. If you are going to sell in the spring as opposed to finishing, maybe look to buying black (ouch). If you are going to finish them out, buy any color. Looks the same when the hide comes off. They can grow through the winter, you finish next spring/summer and butcher in the fall ~ sell in halves and quarters. Just another idea. Protien blocks yes if your hay is not sufficient ~ if it is, cut that cost as well.

Latest posts