Need advice on getting a calf to lead

Help Support CattleToday:

FFAgal

Reaction score
My daughter has a red angus heifer calf that she had showed at a local fair on Labor Day. It was 4 months old at that time. The calf did beautifully that day, but ever since then my daughter has had problems getting it to lead. The calf plants its feet and won't budge. She wants to show the calf as a open heifer for a fair in the spring. It seems the bigger this animal is getting, the more stubborn it is becoming. Any ideas on what we can do to get it to lead better?

Might try leaving the water out of the pen and lead her to water once or twice a day. Others on here such as Bez or Cert or Jeanne can help you more than I can but that works for me.
They will probably need more info, and you need to have the daughter do it and not you. cows know the difference and sometimes will lead for the parents but not the child, speaking from experience here.

JHH

Thanks! I will have her try the water. My daughter is the only one to handle this calf, as the little critter won't let anyone else near it, usually. My daughter has bottle fed it from birth and I think it's a little spoiled.

FFAgal":wrnwtja4 said:
My daughter has a red angus heifer calf that she had showed at a local fair on Labor Day. It was 4 months old at that time. The calf did beautifully that day, but ever since then my daughter has had problems getting it to lead. The calf plants its feet and won't budge. She wants to show the calf as a open heifer for a fair in the spring. It seems the bigger this animal is getting, the more stubborn it is becoming. Any ideas on what we can do to get it to lead better?

Tie it to a bigger animal that leads well - then walk the bejumpins out of them - little one will come - it has no choice.

Bez!

Have you tried taking a long lead and stand behind the calf and give it a good yank? It'll nearly knock her off her feet and she'll come to understand that she must walk when the lead rope is tugged on. Bez! offers an excellent suggestion. Haltering a calf to a donkey works well. My son had a Brangus heifer that wouldn't lead for love nor money. I tied her to the back of the tractor and pulled her in LOW gear. My son walked next to her, holding the lead rope and had his show stick. I would stop the tractor, he would lift her head and set her up. She got the message and as an old working momma cow, I can still halter her and lead her even though her show career is long past! Good luck and keep us posted!

If you have a small horse power tractor tie the animal to the tractor and make your little girl hold the halter while your pulling the animal. Have someone get behind her and twist her tail a slapping her on the butt. If you use a donkey to me it seems you have to have really mean on to get the job done. The water trick works to but try the tractor first and see what happens. Some calves tend to fall over because they get tired of pulling make her get back up a pull somemore. How did the animal place maybe you could post a pic of her.

IMHO, there are two common reasons a calf won't lead: One is they aren't used to the halter, and won't give to it. The other is they are scared of the person pulling on the halter and want to get away from them. Spending some time around the calf's head while tied might resolve the second.

I would NOT use a tractor. You have a halter broke calf - she's just spoiled. Go back to basics. Walk her to things she wants to go to - REWARDS. Tie her, brush her, than walk her to her FEED. Than walk her outdoors & turn her loose at night. In morning, repeat, tie her up, brush her, walk her to FEED. Make it a rigid ROUTINE. Cattle do much better when they know what to expect. NEVER let her eat/drink anything, unless you lead her to it for now.
After walking her to feed for about a week, if you have another animal that is halter broke. Lead off with the experienced one, & let your daughter FOLLOW with her heifer. Most don't like to be left behind.
If she needs coaxing, hook a second lead to a larger - WELL BROKE animal, with your daughter leading her calf. When she balks, let the other animal drag her forward, then release pressure - REWARD!
We have done the tractor bit, or my big husband dragged them around with brute force - don't believe in doing it that way. My husband doesn't believe in it anymore either. REWARD - REWARD. If she takes one step, you stop, release pressure & scratch her. Than ask for another step with short tugs of the lead. NEVER PLAY TUG OF WAR - YOU WILL ALWAYS LOSE!!! (except when hooked to another animal.)

I just happened to find this board the other day when I was trying find info on leading. You guys are the best! I will have her try some of the great suggestions you gave!
THANKS SOOO MUCH!

What has worked for me is when they plant their feet, pull her to the side instead of straight forward. It will unbalance her, and she'll have to move forward to regain her balance. As SOON as she moves one foot... praise her and scratch her.. It takes time, but she'll figure it out.

shorthorn cowgirl":10ckqlgp said:
leave the halter on at all time and every day go out there and tie her up high for about an hour. And every night walk her around for about ten mins.
Take the halter off every time you get through working with the animal and catch your animal and rehalter each time you work with it.

We use the nylon halter's with the chains and they stay on 24/7 and compared to alot of the animals on the show circuit they are some of the most gentle and behaved.

Never pull a heifer that is balking with any kind of motorized vehicle. You could break their legs.

While your daughter is walking the heifer, someone walk behind the heifer and when she stops and balks, push her with the handle end of the show stick (not the sharp end). It will take several days of walking, but, she should get to where she will follow you daughter anywhere.

mom

i use a donkey with those who dont and wont lead.ty the heifer to a neck strap on the donkey with a large swivel clip and let them go in a small yard first, always works.our donkey is retiered now but have seen her put a 2 year old charolais bull on the ground anyway good luck,better find a donkey first! :lol: