Need a recommendation on a bull for my herd...

Help Support CattleToday:

rkaiser":3j72me5w said:
Terminal is usually a term meant for all offspring to be hung on the hook. However, it sounds to me that you don't have any interest in that part of the chain. If you are simply looking to raise a big calf and sell it through the auction, move toward your exotic cross, but make sure he shows thickness up through the forerib: cattle buyers will reward you for thickness.

Excellant advice. You beat me to this post. I think you should focus on an exotic bull to increase the frame of your calves and their ability to wean out at advanced weights. Charolais and Limousin are the two top performance breeds while Charolais and Simmental both excel in growth. My experience is that the Gelbvieh bulls tend to throw consistent calves (in general) and have good muscle. All these breeds would make a good sire so you can choose which the one you like based on your preferences. A simangus or balancer bull would probably put alot of uniformity in your calves and give you alot of flexibility in what you decide to do with the calves. Gelbvieh and simmental are good maternal breeds and charolais and limousin are terminal breeds. I hope this helps.

On this topic there has been some good suggestions and advice. Each breed offers something different. Find the direction that you want to go with your calf crop and that will help you decide which breed to use for selecting a bull.

but you could get a little beefier in the front end.
No matter what breed you choose, IMO I would never pick a bull with a heavy front end. You are asking for calving difficulties with heavy front ends. Even if your present cows can handle it, your future kept heifers out of this bull might pass the heavy front end on the calves they are carrying. Remember calving difficulties are a two way steet - cows can cause calves that are difficult calving.
The best advice is to pick absolutely the best phenotype (how he looks), pedigreed bull you can AFFORD. He will be the future of your cowherd.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1fwr33ym said:
No matter what breed you choose, IMO I would never pick a bull with a heavy front end. You are asking for calving difficulties with heavy front ends. Even if your present cows can handle it, your future kept heifers out of this bull might pass the heavy front end on the calves they are carrying.

I'd actually only intended the heavier front end recommendation with respect to a terminal sire in which there were no plans to keep offspring.

Rod

Sorry to jump on the heavy front end so "heavy", but that is like an ugly stick/flag to me. Just hate heavy front ended cattle of any breed, any sex. Just a problem waiting to happen IMO. Just my personal preference/concern.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":m0zuobmo said:
Sorry to jump on the heavy front end so "heavy", but that is like an ugly stick/flag to me. Just hate heavy front ended cattle of any breed, any sex. Just a problem waiting to happen IMO. Just my personal preference/concern.

I understand. You certainly have to police yourself well and ensure that you never keep a heifer back from a terminal cross. I prefer lighter fronts with the bulls I use on my commercial herd because every once in awhile, I'll get a real crackerjack of a heifer that ends up sticking around. But if I was NEVER going to keep one back, I'd certainly go coarser on the front.

Rod

A good rule to follow ALACOWMAN I agree. But then I would. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In my opinion, I would suggest Hereford 1st as that would give lots of options with the calves and provide more heterosis than an Angus or sim influenced bull in your situation, also your calves will most likely be black hided. As far as marketing someone will want your those F1 heifers and the steers should be as easy to sell. You could also run a charolais bull but i would suggest that as terminal only. The third option i would think about is AI followed by a clean up bullthat way you could AI angus and take your replacements out of that then clean up with a terminal sire. This would be more expensive due to your herd being under one breeding group in size but it really is your call not mine. Good Luck

Beef11":3iut10yd said:
In my opinion, I would suggest Hereford 1st as that would give lots of options with the calves and provide more heterosis than an Angus or sim influenced bull in your situation, also your calves will most likely be black hided. As far as marketing someone will want your those F1 heifers and the steers should be as easy to sell. You could also run a charolais bull but i would suggest that as terminal only. The third option i would think about is AI followed by a clean up bullthat way you could AI angus and take your replacements out of that then clean up with a terminal sire. This would be more expensive due to your herd being under one breeding group in size but it really is your call not mine. Good Luck
Unless I missed something, why do you think he should use a Hereford for natural service but an Angus for AI. Another thing, with 10 hd of cows and getting just 70% of them settled AI wouldn't it be a little expensive to buy a Char. bull to breed 3 cows naturally. Maybe MikeC would lend him one for a couple of months. :lol: :lol: Huh MikeC.

It seems like he wants to keep his brood herd black and predomitaly angus. The hereford would provide other marketing outlets. The Charolais i would suggest as terminal. Its his program so he could mix and match any of the breeds in any place. Yes buying a bull for 3 cows is expensive but i think i mentioned that before he might have a neighbor that has a "spare bull" that time of year.

One thing I can say for the folks on this forum, you will reply! I have been on other forums and asked a question and not get very many replies at all.

I should have made a clarification on what I planned to do with my calf crop. Right now, I plan to market every calf I raise, whether heifers or steers. I have a relatively young herd but when I do need to replace cows I plan on buying my replacements just like I bought the ones in my present herd. I bought young cow/calf pairs and bred heifers. Every animal I bought is going to have me a calf I can market by late summer or fall. One reply to my post turned my thoughts in a direction I have not even considered. That is a polled hereford. With all my black cows I should stand a chance of some really nice black baldies, which are really popular around here. Just a thought.

Whichever way I go, ya'll have given me some good guidelines to go by. I do appreciate it. You folks seem like a great bunch of guys and gals. :D Thanks!

la4angus":150zdyhw said:
Beef11":150zdyhw said:
Unless I missed something, why do you think he should use a Hereford for natural service but an Angus for AI. Another thing, with 10 hd of cows and getting just 70% of them settled AI wouldn't it be a little expensive to buy a Char. bull to breed 3 cows naturally. Maybe MikeC would lend him one for a couple of months. :lol: :lol: Huh MikeC.

I think he would be better off going to La. and pick up an angus from you. ;-)

MikeC":3lb4j6jx said:
I think he would be better off going to La. and pick up an angus from you. ;-)
Nah. He is already gonna AI to an Angus, now he needs a Char. terminal sire to clean up the 3 yhat the AI guy misses. Now If he would use an Angus bull for natural service to start, then he could have dun to come clean up afterwards doing AI using a Char. :lol:

Cuz Pat,
There is a sale in Hackelburg, AL tomorrow. Ray Angus is having a bull sale there tomorrow. That might be a good place to stop by and have a look. No reason to buy one right away but it might give you an idea about where to go to find a good bull. See the Cattle sales page on this web site or pm me for more information.

Talking about bulls (Angus, Sim Angus, and Simmental), you will find more Quantity of Angus bulls in Alabama. It SHOULD be easier for you to find an Angus bull that you will be happy with. Good luck in your search.