need a plan

Help Support CattleToday:

rebelbull69

Reaction score
Not new but have been hobby rancher for 20 years now running 20 head of black Angus limo cross. On weekends in north Texas. Have finally moved up to the place. Have been doing stuff wrong just spending money buying hay over grazing and keeping calves for three year or so before selling. I need a plan to start saving/making a little bit. Ok I know you have to raise your own feed working on getting a baler I got a sprayer last year and has saved quit a bit already on hay from the extra Bermuda not having to fight weeds. From prices it seems to me that you should sell your steers at about 700 for most money to feed ratio is this true? Basically right at weaning. We band all bullcalves right when they hit the ground. When do most people sale? I know that we're sure not making any profit letting them grow for three years and then getting less per pound. Just need a little help here and any advice to get me going in right direction thank you so much.

if you want to make money....get your cattle resources and your land resousces in balance and make the cows do the work and graze them year round....

you didn't say how much land and I don't know a thing about Texas geography or productivity....but I know it is not as cold as Virginia and we have people here grazing year round....

the easiest money to make is money you don't spend....use the cows to manage the grass.....

pdfangus":cgaechbf said:
if you want to make money....get your cattle resources and your land resousces in balance and make the cows do the work and graze them year round....

you didn't say how much land and I don't know a thing about Texas geography or productivity....but I know it is not as cold as Virginia and we have people here grazing year round....

the easiest money to make is money you don't spend....use the cows to manage the grass.....

+bajillion

The lower your inputs, the easier it is to make money when the market goes against you.

Also, iron will never give you a calf. Hire someone else to do that sorta stuff for you -- reinvest the capital in your animals (more and better), fencing and water -- you'll be further down the road as a result.

Its 150 acres got four running creeks and a acre pond twenty acres is across the road fenced off on which I was going to use for hay meadow

Latest posts