Need a Good Grass Fed Black Angus Bull in Eastern KS

Help Support CattleToday:

303GH

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

It seems our bull is too short for our cows and does not seem to be able to mount them. Measuring from the tip of their rear-end the bull seems to be about 6 inches shorter. Every time he tries to mount a cow they simply walk away and that's the end of it.

Can someone please point me in the direction of where I can find a black angus bull here in eastern Kansas that comes from a reputable grass fed farm?

Also, will two bulls live in harmony if they were placed together in a herd of cows?

Thank you

Are you just looking for a grass fed bull because you dont intend to feed him any grain and want him used to it or what? I assume you are planning a grass fed beef operation, but that wont prohibit you from supplemental feeding of your bull as required.

I have several young grass fed Angus bulls, but they wont be breeding age until next season.

303GH":8xwom2up said:
Hello Everyone,

It seems our bull is too short for our cows and does not seem to be able to mount them. Measuring from the tip of their rear-end the bull seems to be about 6 inches shorter. Every time he tries to mount a cow they simply walk away and that's the end of it.

Can someone please point me in the direction of where I can find a black angus bull here in eastern Kansas that comes from a reputable grass fed farm?

Also, will two bulls live in harmony if they were placed together in a herd of cows?

Thank you

Don't be so quick to judge. What you are witnessing is NORMAL!! When a cow is coming into heat or is just coming out of heat they tease the bull like that. A good bull always wants to breed. They let him sniff, stand there, and then take three or four steps forward when he trys to mount. Keep watching (if she is coming in) in about 2 to 6 hours she will stand there like a rock while he paws all over her if she has to.

If they are worth a hoot they will both want to assert dominance. That means a fight. They'll push and shove, bellar and butt, and come to a meeting of the minds. This may take a few minutes or they may go at it, on and off for several days. One of them WILL be dominant and one of them will be the #2 guy. Now if you're lucky they'll fight in the middle of the field and not tear up too much although they'll paw a few spots in the ground. If you're not so lucky they'll have their fight next to a something important, say a bad fence or your truck. Sometimes the loser starts looking for a hole in the fence so he can go be dominant at the next location, this is especially true if it's the new guy. Normally things will settle down and they will co-exist, but I don't know how much harmony there is.

At least that's been my experience.

Good luck
Cuz

I've seen yearling bulls jump two feet to get the job done :shock:
Really :roll: on cows that seem way to tall for a young bull.

6 inches shorter won't prohibit him from breeding the cows when the time is right. I'd give him more time before get another bull. I've only run two bulls together one time, and it was a disaster. The older bull was dominant, but even after fighting for dominance, he managed to get hurt while they were "playing". They are also likely to tear up something fighting.

Thanks for all the replies. The reason why I ask for a grass fed bull is because that is the direction we're headed in and was hoping to get a bull with the genetics to correspond to our program. But aside from that it seems our bull may not be too small and may be just a matter of time am I correct?

Yeah, I dont think your bull is to small.

Also, grass fed is more a science than genetics within a particular breed. Certain breeds are supposed to do better than others in a grass feeding operation. Angus isnt really one of them, but thats not to say you cant do grass fed with Angus, you may just not get the results you would with another breed. CAB marketing has more than made up for that though and your income will probably testify to that.

Something to think about with grass fed though is its a niche market. Have you or your parents thought about how you are going to market your animals. Your not going to want to send them to the local sale barn.

Are you wanting 2 bulls for 20 cows or 2 bulls for 50 cows.

They will fight, there is a good chance one will get hurt, and if you are going for the 2 for 20 deal the less dominant will go looking for greener pastures.

If you are doing the 2 for 50 deal all of the above will be less but still could happen.

We have several Bulls in one pasture and over the years some have gotten hurt. Nothing you can really do about it but fire up the pit.

I also prefer grass raised bull. These ones that are grown off of feed their whole life are like people on welfare. When you put them out in the world to do a job they can't survive with out it.

Diamond 'D' Angus have wonderful 'grass fed' bulls. I have my hefier bred to a bull from there.

We definitely don't want to risk any damages to the property or the bull so I guess we'll stick with one for now and give this bull more time as it sounds like he should be able to do the job. 3MR what other breeds do well on grass?

I have two 16-month-old bulls in with my 40 cows. They are related and grew up together and they get along just fine. One is dominant but they don't fight much as they are quite busy right now. :) Once they're all bred, though, I may have a problem.

Murray Grey are known for finishing pretty good on grass. Black pays better though right now. Honestly, I wouldnt go chasing stars while you are still getting set up. Id run what you got.

303GH,
Finding the right genetics is the key to making this grass fed deal work. Actually it is one of the keys. As already mentioned you need to identify your market and determine how you can meet their demands (hormone free?, antibiotic free?, organic?, all natural?, etc....). Second remember that you are trying to raise cattle STRICTLY on grass for them to be grass fed. So make sure your forage systems are up to a high quality. You will have a hard time finishing cattle on prairy grass. I would strongly consider marketing them as pasture finished beef. This leaves you the option of supplementing with some grains. And finally you need the right genetics you need early maturing cattle that are close to the small end on frame. there should be some great research coming out on grass fed in the next few years that will look at every thing from genetics to finishing.

3MR":rn7n6htt said:
Honestly, I wouldnt go chasing stars while you are still getting set up. Id run what you got.

That be some a the best advice I ever heard be given on this board.

Latest posts