need a donkey to protect cows from dogs..any suggestions..have 1 neighbor close..has young male, should i castrate him

Help Support CattleToday:

We have had a couple of cows that would run down a dog if they could...

My longhorn cow ... my pasture ornament... is very quiet and easy going... does not use her horns on anyone and will only shake her head if someone is crowding her space... BUT she HATES dogs... and I am assuming coyotes, since we NEVER see any in that pasture....she raises her calf right along with the others, and this is where I calve out my first calf heifers.... but there are no dogs running through the cattle...

Texas dog law.

You are correct on they can be eliminated.
Best policy is always SSS!
People are funny about dogs and its never their dog that causes a problem.
You have to remember a 25 cent dog can cost you big $ quick in hay or gut shot cattle.

That's why I like my donkey.
Anybody who shoots a man's cows over a dog ought to be real careful when they walk to their deer stand. Lot of accidents happen.

We were given a pair of jennies about 15 years ago and they've been great at keeping wild critters and dogs away. They almost put me over the fence when I got a new black coat for Christmas one year. They were accustomed to me wearing the brown Carhartt. I then gave the black one to my mother-in-law.

I had to put one down last summer. If anyone needs to know how much red oak firewood, diesel and old tires it takes to burn a donkey, send a message.

We were given a pair of jennies about 15 years ago and they've been great at keeping wild critters and dogs away. They almost put me over the fence when I got a new black coat for Christmas one year. They were accustomed to me wearing the brown Carhartt. I then gave the black one to my mother-in-law.

I had to put one down last summer. If anyone needs to know how much red oak firewood, diesel and old tires it takes to burn a donkey, send a message.
Was burying not an option?

I have had problems with dogs on two of my properties, one the hog doggers during deer season, another just the neighbors dog's ruining our deer hunting, this one has been the most difficult, I asked him several times to keep his dogs off, and he was a smart azz about it, so I called game warden 5 times now, the other just running hogs while we were hunting, I didn't see any chasing cattle so far, and I'm not just going to shoot them, having hunting dogs myself when I was young, I'm a dog lover.
One of the biggest butt chewings we ever got from our daddy was coon hunting during deer season, we waited from then on.

Was burying not an option?
It was August last year, 110 degrees during the drought. My FEL wouldn't dig a hole to properly bury. I managed a pit to lay her in. It was a Saturday and couldn't get any equipment out that day except the RVFD with the water truck on stand-by (Those guys can drink a lot of beer at a donkey roast)

It was August last year, 110 degrees during the drought. My FEL wouldn't dig a hole to properly bury. I managed a pit to lay her in. It was a Saturday and couldn't get any equipment out that day except the RVFD with the water truck on stand-by (Those guys can drink a lot of beer at a donkey roast)
How did it smell?

Latest posts