Nasel Vac ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Our vet gives a nasal vaccine but I don't know what brand. He's been giving it the last several years.. even the jersey heifers are doing quite well in the cold and rain with no building - just a tarp - and have not gotten sick. They get their 3rd dose this week (we vaccinate at a few weeks old and then at weaning and a booster and again at yearling)
Valerie

I've probably only used it on 300 calves. I see it as something to use in place of Nasalagen or TSV 2, but I really don't see it as a replacement for Bovi-Shield 5 and other similar products with the BVD already in it. JMHO

Larry

All evidence I've seen from clinical trials suggest that it's a superior product to Nasalgen or TSV-2. Has only been on the market for a year or so, so long-term use reports just aren't out there.

We're using it in our pre-weaning vacc. program. We give the Inforce-3 intranasal and a Pasteurella-Mannheimia bacterin/toxoid, then come back in 7-10 days and booster with Bovi-Shield Gold.

The BVD component of Bovi-Shield(and any other MLV vaccine) will impede immune response to most bacterins(blackleg, Haemophilus, Pasteurella/Mannheimia, etc.), so I prefer to give the bacterins at the same time as the intranasal so that the calves will have a chance to respond adequately, and booster with an injectible MLV product containing BVD.

Lucky_P":339zkbi4 said:
All evidence I've seen from clinical trials suggest that it's a superior product to Nasalgen or TSV-2. Has only been on the market for a year or so, so long-term use reports just aren't out there.

We're using it in our pre-weaning vacc. program. We give the Inforce-3 intranasal and a Pasteurella-Mannheimia bacterin/toxoid, then come back in 7-10 days and booster with Bovi-Shield Gold.

The BVD component of Bovi-Shield(and any other MLV vaccine) will impede immune response to most bacterins(blackleg, Haemophilus, Pasteurella/Mannheimia, etc.), so I prefer to give the bacterins at the same time as the intranasal so that the calves will have a chance to respond adequately, and booster with an injectible MLV product containing BVD.

Do killed vaccines such as Virashield affect the response to bacterins?

I have used it twice now- and felt that it really helped get the calves going better both times.

Lucky_P said:
All evidence I've seen from clinical trials suggest that it's a superior product to Nasalgen or TSV-2. Has only been on the market for a year or so, so long-term use reports just aren't out there. quote]

Why do they recommend 2 doses of 1 ml each at the same time, rather than just 1 dose?

I have very good results with it. This is our second season using it on all stocker cattle as they come in. It is used along with bovishield gold not instead of. The way the intranasal works is to deliver the protection for the first 7 days. It can take 7-10 days to realize full protection from bov gold. Enforce is working within 24-48 hours. The whole idea in our program is for the Enforce to provide the protection for those stressful first few days then let the bovishield go to work. Implementing this strategy we have seen our respiratory treatments drop considerably.

Latest posts