Nasal vaccines?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
We have been using Nasalgen and sometimes TSV2 on some bottle calves we buy. Speaking with the vet at the salebarn today and he says the they sometimes can make calves sick. Anybody ever heard that before?

Thought we were doing the right thing by doing this.

tom4018":1egeqadw said:
We have been using Nasalgen and sometimes TSV2 on some bottle calves we buy. Speaking with the vet at the salebarn today and he says the they sometimes can make calves sick. Anybody ever heard that before?

Thought we were doing the right thing by doing this.

We do the same thing with TSV2...the minute they come in from the sale barn. So far so good...and I intend to continue doing so.

Alice

We use the Nasalgen / TSV2 also. But at same time we will give Vira shield 6 or Cattle Master also, for the upper respiratory. The Nasalgen is great in that it provides immediate protection but it wears off over 4 to 6 week period. The other vaccine given with it continues where the Nasalgen leaves off. We will boost that 30 days later with a Pasturella combo. We started this many years back with the 4-H calves on the Vets advise. We started with the Nasalgen and Cattle Master when calves were first purchased before they were loaded, then boosted 30 days later. We have continued the practice on all our calves and have had extremely good luck with it.

I USED A MLV VACCINE FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR AND MY CALVES HAVE HAD SNOTTY NOSES ALL SUMMER

I'm not a big fan of nasal vaccines, when I give something a shot I know it went where it needed to, vaccinations aren't something that I want to take a chance on. What happens if they sneeze right after you release them? Not being sarcastic, I'm serious.

The good thing about Nasalgen or TSV2 is there an immediate response to the drug. Given in conjunction with an injectable vaccine it will start work right away, while the injectable is building immunity in the calves system.

Latest posts