Names

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2s5t47y2 said:
msscamp":2s5t47y2 said:
dun":2s5t47y2 said:
BUTTHEAD (yes, I was shouting) seems to crop up frequently!

dun

That one crops up a lot here, too, although it's usually phrased in more colorful terms. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, there is usually a prefix or suffix to that name.

dun

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep! Prefix seems to be more popular around here - just seems to flow better.

OK, True story.

Around the ranch I am know as "cow whisperer" because I'm always talking to the animals.
I call the bulls and steers "my boys" and the cows are "my girls".
All calves are known as "my kids". Special names are only given to those with distinguishing features or personalities.
I had one kid who never learned the rules.
Rule 1. No kicking.
If I said to him "no kicking" the little SOB would kick at me. If I said kick me, he would not kick.
Rule 2. The 6 foot rule. I will not get within 6 foot of you and you are not allowed to get with in 6 foot of me, unless I tell you to.
Well, he constantly violated that one also.

And the boy was an absolute idiot. When you tried to drive him you always had to be on the wrong side of him, from all other calves, to make him turn. If you wanted him to go through a gate you had to herd him towards the fence. If you herded him towards the gate he would go through the fence.

So with that learning disability I named him "short bus".

SL

MS,
Re:
but you're scaring me!
Like that's the first time I heard that!
I could tell you stories you simply would not believe.

Be fore I was known as "cow whisperer" I was know as sirloin.
When I first started helping out here, after retiring I was told there was a crazy steer in the field with the herd and to watch out for him, he will get you. He was two years old and at every roundup since he was weaned and castrated they could not catch him. So I worked with him for about 6 months and while I was doing a roundup, alone, and knowing as soon as I got the calves in the barn all I needed to do was call for the trailer so I proceeded to sort the calves from the bulls and cows.
I got the whole herd in the coral, most of the calves went through the creep feeder gate to their own lot and I proceeded to turn the cows and bull back out to pasture, one at a time, to retain the remaining few calves.

Now picture this. I'm sitting on an upside down 5 gal bucket with a gate in my right hand to let the cows and bulls back out to pasture and a gate in my left hand to let the calves in their lot.
After 10 or so cows, of the 150 a bull comes up to me and as I start to open the gate to the pasture I notice he doesn't have his jewelry so I say, "hold on a minute son" and closed one gate and opened the other and he walked in with the calves.
I then walked him into the barn and put him in the holding pen to be loaded.
I then called for the trailer and got a full minute of silence when I asked the boss if he wanted to load the 1,500 lb steer first or last.
Then all I got was "we will be right there".
And when they got there he walked right up on the trailer.
Now for the fun part.
Of course right from the beginning I called him "Sir Loin".
Well they put him in a holding pen until auction day, which was 3 days away. "BY HIS SELF".

The next morning I get a call.
Come over and look at SIR LOIN and say good bye to him before I shoot that SOB.
I went over and he had all but totally destroyed ever holding pen and gate in the building, which is why all the pens are now made of welded guardrail, instead of 2 x 6 oak boards.

So I talked to him, got him calmed down and into the only pen he didn't totally destroy, gave him a 5 gal bucket of water and went to my truck and came back with a bottle of aspirins and put 10 in his water.
Tossed the rest of the bottle to the boss and told him to give him 10 more in the morning and he will be just fine. He had a headache from the ride over here.
And one more thing put a radio on in here so he has company. He likes country western.
And we had no more problems out of Sir Loin.

:lol: :lol: No offense intended, but either you have a knack for cattle like I've never seen except for my Dad, or your eyes should be brown if they are not! I'm not even going to venture a guess as to which it is, because I honestly don't know. Is that the story behind your user name?

I usually name the cattle according to character or looks, things like Alaska if one has a patch that looks like the state of Alaska, Spunk if the steer's always high-tailing it (that particular steer was stupid enough to slam head-long into a gate on a determined run to escape his handlers. Lucky the gate held). Had one named Whiskeyjack, another one called 'Lasker, and another one Blackie. There was also another SOB steer I called Trouble, 'cause he was nothing but.

And many more...

Mostly, I name the calves starting with the year letter - this year T. Anytime I see a word that will make a good name, I write it down, & put it on a list on the computer. So calving time, I just print out the T words/names and pick from the list.

MS,
Re:
Is that the story behind your user name?
Yep. It's in memory of old Sir Loin who holds the record for damage done around here and lived to go to market.

Some other names I use are:
Mickey D, Big Mac, for your hamburger. Or you're going to the Golden Arch Steakhouse.
Boots, for you're going to be boots soon.

Then there is Spooky who won't come within 50 ft of me. She just stands back with that deer in the headlights look and watches everything I do. It's like someone is staring at you but you don't see anyone.
Her first calf was a runt so I called him "peanut". He didn't weigh 25 lbs when I found him after looking for him for two weeks.

Then there is "Socks" who has white on all 4 ankles.
Then there are my 3 rescue kids for this year.
Scooter, t-bone and little one.

The wife or grankids usually name the cows/calves. Wife can remmeber who Flash is but for the life of her she can't remember that it's M1. But I did name a black half Simmenthal heifer Jeanne this year.

dun

We have a few named: Martina, Precious, Fluffy, Crazy, Tinkerbell, Frosty, Blue Bell, Spot, Gigi, Dollie, Cheyenne. We've had an Annie, Junior, Hamburger, T-Bone, and Flato who are all gone now.

Latest posts