Cattle names

Help Support CattleToday:

blacksnake

Reaction score
Does any one know what the letters after some of the registration names mean. The one I am most interested in is Twin Valley Precision E161 (FR). What does the (FR) mean? I've seen (F) after a few names, don't know what it means either, but E161 is the only one that has (FR) after the name.
Thanks

I don't know about the FR either. Some producers use letters of the alphabet to designate sires. Like Rito 1I1 and 1I2 are from rito 6I6. I being the sire, the first 1 is the year born, and the second 1 and the 2 designate the order in which the calve was born to that sire. 1I1 was born befor 1I2. E might be the sire reference to GAR Precision 1680. This is how Wearhman and some do it anyway.

Scotty

blacksnake":36us07sb said:
Does any one know what the letters after some of the registration names mean. The one I am most interested in is Twin Valley Precision E161 (FR). What does the (FR) mean? I've seen (F) after a few names, don't know what it means either, but E161 is the only one that has (FR) after the name.
Thanks

R means the bull possibly carries a gene for Red color. FR means the bull has been tested and is free (F) of the red (R) gene. If you look at an Angus reg cert, there's a box on the lower right hand side with codes for defects and what they mean.

E161 = E was probably the year code @ Twin Valley for that years calves. I know they did not use letters every year so maybe it was just for embryo calves. I would be willing to bet that he was the 161st calf born @ Twin Valley that year. The reason he was tested for the Red Gene is his dam WCC Blackcap C9 was a known carrier of the red gene. She was a great cow to see in person though. Probably the most massive cow I have ever seen, she moved really well for a cow that size though.

Some use a letter code for the year. In our association the year 2005 is R. Some letters aren't used because they could be mistaken for numbers, such as I or O.
Some producers also have a herd prefix that they use. As an example one of our calves would be RVLM 112R. RVLM is the herd prefix, 112 is the calf number and R means the calf was born in 2005.
Unfortunately there are as many numbering systems as people. :)

Jennifer