Name That Critter

Help Support CattleToday:

mountain lion/cougar--whatever name they go by in your neck of the woods. They frequent my nearest neighbor's place pretty often-he had a permit and used to keep several in a big chain link kennel. Their favorite food was dead chickens from his big henhouse.
I guess the wild ones still come around sniffing for the scent his caged ones used to give off.

Deepsouth":10tbbxk0 said:
Looks like a cat to me slick. Are you just sitting the camera on the ground? Raise it up to 4 feet and it'll take much better pictures.

That's where I originally had it and was missing shots that took place underneath it. (It's mounted to chain link on another pen.)

greybeard":10tbbxk0 said:
mountain lion/cougar--whatever name they go by in your neck of the woods. They frequent my nearest neighbor's place pretty often-he had a permit and used to keep several in a big chain link kennel. Their favorite food was dead chickens from his big henhouse.
I guess the wild ones still come around sniffing for the scent his caged ones used to give off.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Been a lot of sightings around but no one has produced any pictures. I think it's young and in a stalking position.

I've seen lots of them up close--both here on my place and in my neighbor's pen. They have a very pronounced & bulging forehead, and their tracks normally do not show any claw marks unless they are about to jump or spring at something.
The only thing that doesn't look like a lion is the lower jaw--it almost looks like a snout.
Copy the picture into Paint or another image editor. In paint, chose the select tool (rectangle shape) and draw a box around the critter.
Right click on the critter and an option box opens--select "invert color".
This turns the critter into a clearer black silhouette. (hope this works)

critter_zpsf56793e3.jpg

I enlarged the pic and it's definitely a clump of grass that looks like a snout. Also looks more likea bobcat when I dI'd that.

That looks too heavy in the body to be a bobcat. The bobcats here are mostly leg with ears that are more pointy than the one in the photo. I have seen a mountain lion roaming the cliffs at our place about 2 or 3 years ago, so they are in the area.

I used a different editor to change the hue-color a bit and change the overexposed--yes, the "snout" is definitely something in the background as it didn't show up in the new editing. my bad. (I'm out of space in my photobucket account tho so I can't post it right now)
Look around your area if you think it is hanging around and not just passing thru. You should find little piles of leaves, twigs and some dirt piled up and pretty smelly if it's a male. His way of marking his area.

This one is turned 180, but it shows the back end pretty good. Same contour as your critter.
2789_53_Yellowstone_Mountain_Lions_md.jpg

mountain_lion_rhop.jpg

Deffinatly your run of the mill house cat, its to deep in thechest to be a lion or bobcat and the body isn't long enough for a lion.

Latest posts