Mystery Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
PREFACE:
1. Mature Content
2. I have confirmed the veracity of the man's criminal record.

Clint watches after my farm when I ask. He does a great job and loves my cattle. Thursday he called me as I was on my way back to Kentucky and informed me that I had a "mystery calf" in my herd. The week old bull calf was nursing a heifer that had a month old calf. The black calf still had the navel thread attached.

When I got home late Wednesday, I called my neighbor thinking it might be his calf. Johnny shares a long fence line with me. The fence between us is high tensile woven wire with a strand of barbed wire on top. It is so tight, Blue has to run along it to find a spot to crawl under. Therefore, I doubted that the calf came from Johnny's herd. Johnny checked his herd and drove over to look at the calf. It was not his. Johnny and I tried unsuccessfully to bottle feed the calf so while Johnny held the calf, I used an esophageal tube and tubed 2 quarts of milk replacer into the calf's stomach.

Yesterday morning in the light of day, I began to sort out the "mystery calf". Tom owns a large farm that abuts against the end of the farm farthest from the infrastructure. He leases his pasture to an out-of-state guy named Jim. Tom sent me a text with Jim's phone number. The area code was 417 (Missouri). I called Jim. I left a message that I had a calf in my herd that may belong to him. In less than 20 minutes, I received a call from a man named Randy. He informed me that he and his brother manage Jim's cattle in Kentucky. I informed him that I had a week-old black calf that might belong in the herd he manages. He said that he and his brother would be over in 10 minutes.

The two brother pulled up to the shop pulling a red trailer. They claimed the calf. The older brother commented that I must be an honest man. The brother stated, "There is not two men in this country that would not have taken that calf to the stockyards." He said, "That is $500 to $600 standing there." They each shook my hand and before they left, I felt rewarded that I had helped two hard working shepherds find their lost lamb.

I called my friend Clint and told him the story. I was telling him what fine men they were. Clint said, "Ron, if I had known that those two guys were going to get that calf, I would have taken it home to my boys to bottle feed and I would never have told you." I said why. He proceeded to tell me that those two brothers were his dad's brother's boys. Randy had just gotten out of prison after serving 9 years of a 20 year sentence for second degree rape and second degree sodomy of his 7 year old daughter. He currently has an incestuous living arrangement with his cousin's teenage daughter.

If I had any doubt about the veracity of what Clint was telling me, it was dashed when he sent me a text including the mug shot of his cousin and his criminal record. Add to this that his brother who was with him is an alcoholic and dope head. Clint said his dad had 6 brothers. The brother who spawned these two men was dysfunctional and had been charged a number of times for molestation of two of his 7 daughters. Clint said that what went on in that family was disgusting. He speculated that these two brothers had probably been molested as youngsters.

All day yesterday, I thought about the fact that I had shaken hands with a human being that could commit these heinous acts.

Did the calf even belong to them? Or did they just claim the calf in order to steal it? There's a lot of things I don't understand about humans but up near the top is incest with one's own daughter.

I understand your feelings about having to deal with those pos , but you did the right thing. The calf wasn't yours .You might make sure the owner of the cattle is aware of the local opinion of his employee's

Sounds like you better watch your backside, and your barn. A bullet is to good for some people.

Wow, I have no words Ron. No words at all. :(
Those are not men. They are not even good enough to call animals.

Sounds just like the show Justified and the roughneck people of Eastern KY. I'm so proud I'm in the Western side of the state. Yeah I wonder if the calf actually was from that herd.

M y dad taught me that the way you respond to other people is a result of what you are and not what they are.
You did the right thing.
It has been my experience that in the end those two will get the end they richly deserve. Call it Karma, fate, or divine retribution, they will end up where they deserve. One calf is not enough to worry about. You knew it was not yours.
Bill

lavacarancher":ozgk9o75 said:
Did the calf even belong to them? Or did they just claim the calf in order to steal it? There's a lot of things I don't understand about humans but up near the top is incest with one's own daughter.

I think the calf came from the herd they manage.

FlyingLSimmentals":1p9a6wqf said:
Sounds just like the show Justified and the roughneck people of Eastern KY. I'm so proud I'm in the Western side of the state. Yeah I wonder if the calf actually was from that herd.

Mike, Eastern Kentucky has a unique culture as a result of its history. Maybe no other culture in America has had more written about it. Much of it negative due to widespread poverty. That culture has produced some roughnecks but it has also produced some of Kentucky's best. I would not favor directing this at the people of Eastern Kentucky. Bad character and human dysfunction is not geographical, it originates in the human mind.

BTW: The man who owns those cattle called me yesterday. His area code is 419 not 417. He lives in Mansfield, Ohio and operates a large grain farm up there and has his cattle operation in Kentucky. He thanked me for my honesty. He sounded like an older gentleman and was very gracious.

I wish he was more concerned about the type of people he employs but I did not address my wishes with him.

I am visiting the man who owns the farm today. I think he deserves to know what kind of people have access to his farm!

Yes I know it could happen anywhere, there is plenty of bad people everywhere. Just thought I would poke the tiger or do a little picking on just for fun. I will say I've enjoyed each time I've been to that end of the state. Ron I'm proud of ya, that you were honest so many now are not. We had a calf found several years ago on the farm, roaming the pastures bawling and not being claimed by any cow. He was several hrs. old maybe a day or two, don't recall exactly well now. Anyway our herd was a good distance away from anyone else's or at least far enough that a new born wouldn't get that far on his own. We had a cow that had given birth a day earlier than we found this calf. It looked a lot like her calf and her calf wasn't real big that we assumed she had twins and that she had our mystery calf first and then moved off 100-200 yards and had a 2nd calf and never went back for number 1. Ended up having a bottle fed calf. Anyway good luck with your cattle and fellow cattlemen.

TennesseeTuxedo":nb02w713 said:
Not saying you shouldn't but have you considered the repercussions?
I believe a man would not let fear stop him from doing what should be done. You would want someone to tell you if someone like that was working on your land. I am always very careful about who I employ. You can do the best work in the world. But if you send hoodlums to do it. Your business will suffer.The two are most likely cowards anyway.

fenceman":2akr5vqf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2akr5vqf said:
Not saying you shouldn't but have you considered the repercussions?
I believe a man would not let fear stop him from doing what should be done. You would want someone to tell you if someone like that was working on your land. I am always very careful about who I employ. You can do the best work in the world. But if you send hoodlums to do it. Your business will suffer.The two are most likely cowards anyway.
If it was me I would sure want to know who I had employed.

Latest posts