My Vacation

Help Support CattleToday:

Gale Seddon

Reaction score
It has been about 15 years since I've been anywhere other than the grocery store. So when my brother and his wife asked me to join them on a trip to Costa Rica, I said yes, if there's anyway I can manage it, I will go!

I did, and now I'm back. It was magnificent, absolutely magnificent! I don't think we could have packed anything else into this 10-stay to Quepos. We did the zipline thing in the rainforest canopy (and I'm afraid to climb a 4' ladder in the barn), we went offshore fishing, horseback riding, night-time and day-time guided trail walks (we even saw an eyelash viper draped on a branch!), ate like kings, drank like fishes, slept like logs, woke to the tune of howler monkeys. Oh, and there was an earthquake at 5 AM one morning (just what I did not want to experirence). I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. Here are some photos:

I grew up on horses but have not ridden in many years. They roach the manes and trim tails there because of the tick problem; no bits used; horses are well trained to the trail. I was sore for a day or so, probably less so than my horse. He deserved a medal for toting my fat butt around.
DSCN0087.jpg

We went fishing for two days (my brother is part-fish) in a 31' Bertram, one day off-shore when we caught SEVEN sailfish (Hook, you would have loved this!) and once in-shore; all fish were released after they brought them on-board INTO YOUR LAP for photos. Here's my sailfish:
100_1807.jpg

And my jack, caught the day we fished in-shore; I also caught a needlefish!
DSCN0216.jpg

Not to dwell on fish, but here's what remained of just one of the many Red Snapper that were consumed during this trip! I didn't take a picture of the empty wine bottles. OMG, the wine!!!
DSCN0106.jpg

We saw cattle as well, all Brahman I think. The pastured cattle appeared to be a bit thin, but it's the dry season there, and everything alongside the dirt roads was covered in dust. We didn't see one drop of rain the entire time. Hard to get photos from vehicles as we were passing by, but I did get the driver to stop so I could take this photo of oxen pulling a wagon that will haul palm fruit.
DSCN0304.jpg

I would highly recommend Costa Rica to anyone who needs a complete change. The Costa Ricans were delightful. The wildlife, the birds, the flora and fauna -- all entirely different from what we have here. And I came home with a renewed appreciation for our own birds and animals. I think that's what vacations are all about.

That looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Its good to take time to change your batteries now and again. Sounds like you were long overdue.

I have an odd question but I have to ask it if you don't mind. Did you notice many people with wrist watches on?

Gale, that looks like a great time. Costa Rica has always been a place I have wanted to visit. I am glad you got to experience it and thanks for sharing the pictures!

THAT explains why you haven't been around!

Gale, FABULOUS pictures!! My husband's boss, my ex-stepmother (we get along beautifully) and my sister and her husband have been there and each has reported a similar experience to yours. The pictures they took were also fabulous! My sister took a morning swim one time only to discover a frog in her swimsuit! LOL

You should post the ox pic over at Rural Heritage, it would be appreciated over there as well.

So glad you had such a good time. Maybe someday. I love Red Snapper, yummy. Beautiful Sailfish. When I was a kid our family dentist had one hanging in his office.

So glad you had that opportunity and took it.

Katherine

Looks like a blast gale! I've got friends with a house in quepos. I just haven't been able to get down the yet with the wife.
That's a nice sail and a nice jack in the pics. Thise jacks fight harder than any other fish pound for pound. Did you get any rooster fish?

Glad you had a good time, Gale, and thanks for the pictures. I'm due for something like that myself. Maybe you'll motivate me to just get out there and do it.

hooknline":227c8b5f said:
Looks like a blast gale! I've got friends with a house in quepos. I just haven't been able to get down the yet with the wife.
That's a nice sail and a nice jack in the pics. Thise jacks fight harder than any other fish pound for pound. Did you get any rooster fish?

Hook, do anything you can to take that trip. I promise you will not regret it. I think my round trip airfare (Dulles Airport to Panama City to San Jose, then a puddle jumper to Quepos -- best flight of the trip -- was a little over $400).

Neophyte that I am, it took me about 30 minutes to get the sailfish in. Got a major blister on my thumb after about 15 minutes and that hindered my ability to "reel, reel, reel" (yes, I know, some excuse is better than none and you can see how delicate I am, ha ha!). Yes, it seemed to me that the little jack was solid muscle and was not inclined to come into the boat. My brother got several sailfish on a small rod with 30# test line (did I say that right?). He was absolutely thrilled; he paid extra to fly the rod down there, so we were happy he was successful with the sailfish.

We went after roosterfish, but nothing stayed on the hook. Even caught live baitfish for this and watched as many were lost, half-eaten, or lines broken. I understand the roosterfish will put up quite a fight. My thumb was secretly glad not to catch any.

Jogee, is that a trick question about the watches? I didn't notice, to be truthful. I stopped wearing a watch several years ago. But I noticed that all the taxis had clocks. The sun set there between 5:45 and 6 PM there, and I knew what time it was when we woke in the mornings because my brother and SIL seem to wake at 4:30 AM no matter what, even here at home. And although Happy Hour officially began at 4, we got happy when we felt like it, usually after a short nap and a swim in the afternoons. I do recall and am somewhat ashamed to admit going to bed one night at 7:30 PM. That's downright pitiful.

Katherine, if I had found a frog in my bathing suit, I'd have passed out! On a night-time guided trail walk, a gladiator frog jumped onto someone's shoulder. I took a photo of it. I admired the girl's self-control as she didn't screech, scream, cry or faint, all of which I'd have done had it landed on me.

"Neophyte that I am, it took me about 30 minutes to get the sailfish in. Got a major blister on my thumb after about 15 minutes and that hindered my ability to "reel, reel, reel" (yes, I know, some excuse is better than none and you can see how delicate I am, ha ha!). Yes, it seemed to me that the little jack was solid muscle and was not inclined to come into the boat. My brother got several sailfish on a small rod with 30# test line (did I say that right?). He was absolutely thrilled; he paid extra to fly the rod down there, so we were happy he was successful with the sailfish."

You did good on that sail. They are a blast. Just keep you thumb off the spool when they run. ;)

Gale, it wasn't really a trick question I just wondered. My wife and I have a favorite get-away spot outside of the USA and the second thing we noticed was no one wore watches. It was like time didn't mean that much to them. Pace was really laid back. First thing I noticed - before I ever got there - was there were three people from my hometown that went there and never came home. Its a small world when you leave the country and bump into people you went to high school with. We have plans to see them again. We may even stay longer.

I went to Costa Rica on a study aborad trip through the college to tour agriculture there. It was the best trip of my life. I would highly suggest going if you have the chance. I plan on returning there someday to spend more time there. The people there are great and it is a very nice country to visit. The fresh fruits there are amazing you will never think of pineapple the same. It's an amazing country and the scenery is breath taking.

Gale I am glad you had such a nice trip. I enjoyed your post and pictures.
I'll bet the whole thing was very refreshing for you. :clap:

Do you have a picture of the viper you killed? You did kill it, didn't you? :roll:

Thanks for sharing Gale, it sounds like you had a great experience....I wondered where you had disappeared to :D

thanks for sharing Gale.....

I too am preparing for my first real vacation ever.....
then next winter my riding buddy and I are planning on going on a real adventure....don't want to jinx it by talking about it now....that is my luck....plan something and look forward to it and talk about it and then something happens and I can't go.

Gale looks like you had a blast...glad to hear you could go. I would like to go to any of the South Americas. Haven't been abroad for a few years now, I feel I need a vacation away, even if it is within the British Isles, there is still a lot of it I haven't seen. Maybe this year.

Latest posts