My Start In The Angus Business

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom":1e3nainc said:
Ok now tell us more! Looks like a very good start.

gizmom

Got them at the Duck River Classic. #9 is from Turrentine Angus and her calf is out of a CC&7 bull. #24 is from Charrob Farms and her calf is out of CTS Thunder a full brother to CTS Remedy. #56 and #60 both are from Tottys Bend Angus. #56 is out of HARB Pendleton and her calf is out of V D A R Cedar Wind. #60 has some Leachman and McCumber in her and her calf is also out of Cedar Wind.

The first registere5d sale we went to was a Florida Angus Association sale in Tallahassee Florida. We purchased 5 head that day we still have cows in the herd that go back to some of those original cows. I wish you the very best of luck with your herd, you have a good start for sure.

gizmom

gizmom":211xt3yd said:
The first registere5d sale we went to was a Florida Angus Association sale in Tallahassee Florida. We purchased 5 head that day we still have cows in the herd that go back to some of those original cows. I wish you the very best of luck with your herd, you have a good start for sure.

gizmom

One of my biggest worries is learning everything I need to do with the Angus Association. Like contemporary grouping, and getting all the information entered so that all the EPD's are available. Do you just enter the information at AAAlogin, or do you use AHIR, or even AIMS. I have a lot to learn.

I do all mine on AAA login through AHIR the day there born its put in, BW and sire. Then it's there ready to go when WW and YW are ready to be added. At weaning is when I decide if I'm gonna register them, even if you don't register them, turn all the data in.
It takes about 30 seconds to put it in, so if I loose my little book, the info is still there. To put it in the calving book costs nothing, when you add WW its 3 dollars, then nothing for YW, all of it needs to be turned in to keep true numbers on your cows.
I don't worry about contemporary groups, unless there born and raised on different farms, you can manipulate numbers in contemporaries, but mine are what they are, turned in at once.

farmboy

We do our record keeping using the AIMS program I love the program but then I have been using it for twenty years. However when we started we didn't have the web based program that they have available now. I think if I was just starting out I would used the web based I can see where it does everything AIMS does with the exception of a few reports. As far as contemporary grouping we usually have two groups, group A will be our mature cows calf crop and group B will be our 2 and three year old calf crop. Basically if they are in a pasture being managed the same that is a group. The Angus site offers quite a bit for its members to use to manage your herd. I am a believer in measuring, taking weights on your calves as well as your cows, sometimes a cow that you look at and think she just doesn't look all that good will be the one that is weaning the heaviest calf and breeding back on time. That fat pretty cow is keeping everything for herself and not feeding her calf. Unless you are taking weights you can't get a true picture of which cows are really your better ones.

gizmom

Latest posts