My Ryegrass Dilemma

Help Support CattleToday:

TexFarmer

Reaction score
I've got a 20 acre field that I've ran over with a disc to prepare a seedbed for broadcast seeding ryegrass on. I want to use the 20 acre ryegrass field to help supplement winter hay feeding to my cows. I've already purchased the ryegrass and have my 3pt broadcast seeder ready to go, but here's my dilemma. It's been dry here the past few weeks and the ground is bone dry now and looking at the extended forecast there's no rain in sight above a 20% chance here and there showing all the way out to October 22nd. A couple of those days show temperatures above 90 degrees. It's time for me to get the seed in the ground (a little past time actually) so my question is, should I go ahead and seed it or should I wait for rain to show in the forecast and cooler temperatures and seed the ryegrass a day or two ahead of that?

If you are broadcasting , wait. You can do 20 acres in a couple hours so no reason to be in a hurry. I told Aggie in the other thread to go ahead and plant because I assumed wrongly that he was drilling it in.

Latest posts