My ol' ma

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
This song makes me think of my old mom, she will be 81 in November. It is best played full blast :D The song was most probably written with a romantic intent but the nice thing about music is one can twist it how you like.

Just before lockdown my mom, who stayed with me, went to visit my elder brother some distance away(different province). In April the lockdown was announced, no inter province travelling allowed. She is high risk(heart, blood pressure etc). Trying to get a travel permit but it's a battle. Getting resistance from brother too who is trying to put her in a retirement village close to him. If she was totally happy with it it would not bother me as it is her choice. She always said that she doesn't want to be a burden to any of her kids and believe she is trying to do what will make my brother happy...

I wonder if we are doing the right thing, other times I wonder if we shouldn't just 'let it be'.

https://youtu.be/YYMMg7bUUAE

Anyone else separated from their loved one's?

alisonb said:
This song makes me think of my old mom, she will be 81 in November. It is best played full blast :D The song was most probably written with a romantic intent but the nice thing about music is one can twist it how you like.

Just before lockdown my mom, who stayed with me, went to visit my elder brother some distance away(different province). In April the lockdown was announced, no inter province travelling allowed. She is high risk(heart, blood pressure etc). Trying to get a travel permit but it's a battle. Getting resistance from brother too who is trying to put her in a retirement village close to him. If she was totally happy with it it would not bother me as it is her choice. She always said that she doesn't want to be a burden to any of her kids and believe she is trying to do what will make my brother happy...

I wonder if we are doing the right thing, other times I wonder if we shouldn't just 'let it be'.

https://youtu.be/YYMMg7bUUAE

Anyone else separated from their loved one's?

Alison, my mother argued With me for 2 years about moving into assisted living but finally gave in during the pandemic. She absolutely loves it! She's about 8 hours away from me in Hilton Head, SC. We talk daily.

She's with family now...put her in a home and she likely will be cut off from everyone " on the outside". Sounds risky to play with her and your freedom since it sounds like you already need papers to travel... :shock: I'd like to say that's my :2cents: but I think its actually should be a warning.

We've been trying to get my mother in law to move to an assisted living facility for 10 years. She won't do it. Just turned 90 and still lives at home - where she insists she wants to die - and has caregivers that visit daily.

TCRanch said:
We've been trying to get my mother in law to move to an assisted living facility for 10 years. She won't do it. Just turned 90 and still lives at home - where she insists she wants to die - and has caregivers that visit daily.
I don't blame her.
My mother was In a nursing home for a time for the therapy. She was very unhappy.
If she had to stay in much longer it would have killed her.
I know that after a while some people adjust. She was not adjusting at all.
They lied about such things as giving her medication. Later found out by blood test they did not give it to her.

1982vett said:
She's with family now...put her in a home and she likely will be cut off from everyone " on the outside". Sounds risky to play with her and your freedom since it sounds like you already need papers to travel... :shock: I'd like to say that's my :2cents: but I think its actually should be a warning.
Thanks 1982vett.
Old age homes/retirement villages are high risk right now. In June 30 odd old age homes reported the arrival of Covid19, mostly government run in that province. Don't know what the recent stats are. The retirement village my mom would go to is privately owned but it's still a huge worry.

Had a long chat to my elder brother today. We are going to hold up on the travelling and the retirement village plans. My mom will continue to stay with him in a self contained flat on his property until we see where this pandemic is headed. So I'm just going to 'let it be' at this stage...am very relieved :D

Latest posts