My New Baby

Help Support CattleToday:

COWMOM

Reaction score
I recently bought some bread cows, one came with her baby already born. It is a heifer, cutest little thing, I dont think it weighs 50lbs. I am in Michigan, it was like 80 deg last week then we got that snow, about 10 inches. anyhow now I notice that baby has a cough and the scours but i still see her nurse. I did get close enough the other day to give her a shot of recover. but now she blats for mom when i try to go near her. Will moms milk help her get over the scours? Or should I try and catch her again?

A shot of get better always worked better than recover for me...
In reality you probably need to treat her again if the cough isn't improving. Don't let her die. What is recover?

Mom, calves are high right now. I think it pays in this case to take the new babie to the vet or have him out. Is that feesable?

it is possible, I usually do treating myself but I am from a dairy backround and dont know how much to interfere with a nursing calf.
At this point I am more worried about the scours, which i usually treated with electrolites to prevent dehydration, these were added to the powdered milk, but with her nursing i am not sure what med to give...maybe banamine?

If the calf has a fever you would be better off with antibiotics instead of an antihistamine. It could be a respiratory problem with the cough & if you are trying to help her breathe. If it is scours & it is caused by bacteria the antibiotic should help too. If it is just viral then give electrolytes either by bottle pail or I think they have paste or gel now too. But in any case give her some probiotics which should also help. How long ago did you get these? Could it possibly be shipping fever or sickness?
Good luck. Call the vet & get some advice.

thanks for your advice, as I said I got them about a week ago. It was almost 80deg then we got this wet cold snow storm. I really think it is due to the drastic change in weather, and her small size. either way I am gonna go ask the vet tomarow. I just wasnt sure how much to interfere with a nursing calf.

anytime i buy a baby calf that is nursing, i give it a shot of 5 cc's of baytril. that helps it keep from getting sick. if i were you, i would give it 5 cc's of baytril and 2 sustain III scours tablets and you can give it electrolytes to keep it from dehydrating.---good luck

Latest posts