My neighbors contribution...

Help Support CattleToday:

MTplainsman

Reaction score
...To my beef program :(

We all know how much work and time goes into our cattle, no matter if we have 1 or 100, so it really is a bite in the hind quarters, when something attempts to steer your hard work in the wrong direction. :x

Thanks to the neighbors "less than superior" bulls on the rampage the summer before last, here is the "small" suprises I was left with come Spring.

Cowpics011.jpg

Goliath025.jpg

Goliath012.jpg

Goliath023.jpg

Who else faces faces breedings from "outside the fence" too? Does your neighbors run good enough bulls to where you don't mind if they breed? Or do you get hit was poor genetics when the neighbor bulls swing through for a visit?

I dont know what kind of program you run or the goals of it, but if your selling at the sale barn, those black suprises will bring more than your red and white ones. We have had some calves from stray bull and it is heck to deal with...

That reminds me of this funny.

fence.jpg

We've been down that road also. It can sure be aggravating. I've known people that don't even buy bulls, they rely on the neighbors bull to get in and breed their cows. It's not funny when they may have Trich or BVD? Who knows?

Any place we neighbor other cattle I try to have good fence with an electric wire sticking out on both sides. Looks like your in some big country and it would take a lot of money and work to run electric wire but that's the only way I've been able to stop it. It's been years since we have had a mix up but we still Trich and BVD test every year. We also make sure to vaccinate for BVD.

Your other calves sure look nice. Shows what a difference a bull can make.

hgfarmer":1zknoz9q said:
I dont know what kind of program you run or the goals of it, but if your selling at the sale barn, those black suprises will bring more than your red and white ones. We have had some calves from stray bull and it is heck to deal with...
The order buyers around here wouldn't pay more for those blacks than they would for those reds and whites!

fit2btied":3r8p6p3t said:
hgfarmer":3r8p6p3t said:
The order buyers around here wouldn't pay more for those blacks than they would for those reds and whites!

They would down here...different part of the country though!

hgfarmer":78dx60gz said:
fit2btied":78dx60gz said:
hgfarmer":78dx60gz said:

You are right alot of buyers are stupid, black hide=good money
I would bet that the black calves bring more cwt.
I also bet the blacks are 200 lbs lighter at weaning.
Do they still sale em by the pound "down there"

hgfarmer":387dj6iv said:
fit2btied":387dj6iv said:
hgfarmer":387dj6iv said:

If that's the case, they should lose their job.

Hmmm... well I will tell you the blacks do in fact bring slightly more than any other hide. It isn't fair, as some of the best calf lots to step in our local ring have been reds, as few as there are in this country. I've seen blacks bring 30 to 40 cents higher than any other shade some years. However, the this black business is nothing more than a fad in which there have been many over time. Some day they will all be bought on carcass, regardless of thier color. I for one am not gonna completely steer my herd over to one color or another just to meet industry demands. Some day soon it will be all about carcass, and that's when I will make up for the black fad. Don't get me wrong, half my cows are pure black. I like em both.

MTplainsman":2meuf0a3 said:
...Who else faces faces breedings from "outside the fence" too? Does your neighbors run good enough bulls to where you don't mind if they breed? Or do you get hit was poor genetics when the neighbor bulls swing through for a visit?
We were looking at some bulls in Southwest MO and Southeast KS this fall. The owner had one bull that he had loaned to a neighbor of one of his leased farms. Said the neighbor's inferior bulls kept jumping fences so he loaned him one of his bulls so if it happened again the genetics of his herd weren't affected and the neighbor had much higher quality calves to sell. Said this arrangement has worked really well for both parties for over 6 years now.

MTplainsman":1tochj8q said:
Hmmm... well I will tell you the blacks do in fact bring slightly more than any other hide. It isn't fair, as some of the best calf lots to step in our local ring have been reds, as few as there are in this country. I've seen blacks bring 30 to 40 cents higher than any other shade some years. However, the this black business is nothing more than a fad in which there have been many over time. Some day they will all be bought on carcass, regardless of thier color. I for one am not gonna completely steer my herd over to one color or another just to meet industry demands. Some day soon it will be all about carcass, and that's when I will make up for the black fad. Don't get me wrong, half my cows are pure black. I like em both.

I totally agree with you man....im looking forward to that do too

redfornow":3cx1qmw9 said:
hgfarmer":3cx1qmw9 said:
fit2btied":3cx1qmw9 said:
hgfarmer":3cx1qmw9 said:

Yes they are sold by the pound "down here". And how are they sold wherever it is you are from. Im pretty sure that black hide will bring more wherever you are.

Sure is a big difference in the size of the black when compared to the others. Were they born at the same time. Sure looks like the blacks are at least three months behind the others.

I think if it happened on my place, the neighbors bull would get hit in the head by a bolt of lightning or something. ;-)

Jogeephus":1ko5vg7g said:
I think if it happened on my place, the neighbors bull would get hit in the head by a bolt of lightning or something. ;-)

Neighbor runs a "purebred black angus" bull (with a big old set of scurs and a limo head) with his cows year round. Loves to stand at the fence and eyeball my girls from calving to breeding. Hasn't crossed the fence yet, he gets a free ride home the first time, the second time I'm getting my knife out.

cfpinz

a good sharp knife will do a wondering bull a bad favor but he wont be back to visit your girls.

years ago my grandaddy did just that to a neighbors bull he kept getting in with his cows. and the last time he came to visit he went home a steer.

js2743":djl6oewv said:
a good sharp knife will do a wondering bull a bad favor but he wont be back to visit your girls.

years ago my grandaddy did just that to a neighbors bull he kept getting in with his cows. and the last time he came to visit he went home a steer.

I think I would have liked your granddad. Sounds like a n-s kinda guy.

That reminds me of a story an older man told me about what they did before the fence laws were passed here. They had gathered up all their cows but the neighbors bull knocked down the split rail fence and ran the cows all over creation so they had to get them back up. The fella telling me the story was a kid at the time and he said he was upset. Anyhow they roped the bull and wore him down then dipped his tail in some turpentine and lit it on fire and cut him lose. The bull took off thru the woods setting fire as he went. Three weeks and several thousand acres of burned woodland later, they were at the store and overheard the owner of the bull talking about the big swamp fire and how it burned his bull's tail off. :lol:

I would not be a happy camper about that........

But in our neighborhood, I do believe that anyone would be happy with any of the neighbors bulls. We have several in our neighborhood and any calf would be proud to call them daddy.

We still fence!

hgfarmer":1lanmmyt said:
redfornow":1lanmmyt said:
fit2btied":1lanmmyt said:

Yes they are sold by the pound "down here". And how are they sold wherever it is you are from. Im pretty sure that black hide will bring more wherever you are.

Yes more per LB....
Less total for the calf.
We sale by the pound here also, that's my point

MTplainsman":w45q29ns said:
Does your neighbors run good enough bulls to where you don't mind if they breed?

One neighbor runs an angus bull. His whole herd has evolved into "low lines" now. I don't want that bull on my place and he has been made very much aware of it.

Latest posts