My latest project

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
IMG_0443.jpg

good luck

ALACOWMAN":1doqpgp0 said:
good looking grey... what bloodlines ?

He is a 2+ year old gelding,that I am thinking about trading for,he has some Doc clabber/smooth exceed/his registered name is Clabberjet...............good luck

WarriorPatriot":3oqhtp9l said:
Good looking horse. Got a name? Mare? Gelding? Colt?

What's it's job going to be?

His job is gonna be ranch chores,he was recently gelded and seems to be coming along fine,havent named him yet as i dont own him yet,I have him at my place for 60 days to see if I can get him mannerly for a neighbor, and have the option to buy him or just take him back................good luck

Haymaker, is the gelding recently started under saddle? (Bridled with snaffle) Do you use a snaffle when starting a horse? I use a side pull half breed then move to a snaffle. That is a fine looking gray that seems to have the condition to handle anything you ask of him!

ArrowHBrand":a7d47e86 said:
Haymaker, is the gelding recently started under saddle? (Bridled with snaffle) Do you use a snaffle when starting a horse? I use a side pull half breed then move to a snaffle. That is a fine looking gray that seems to have the condition to handle anything you ask of him!

Yup,very recent under saddle,as a matter of fact right before this picture was taken he bucked pretty good,I start them in a broken snaffle,then curb.................good luck
PS thanks for the compliments.

HAY MAKER":by05rj5u said:
Yup,very recent under saddle,as a matter of fact right before this picture was taken he bucked pretty good,I start them in a broken snaffle,then curb.................good luck

Just curious Haymaker. When/what makes you decide to go to a curb? For what it is worth I start mine in broken snaffles also.

I agree he is a good looking horse. Are you sure about his registered name? I was curious about his pedigree and tried looking him up at AQHA. They do not have a horse registered as "Clabberjet". There is a Clabber Jet, but he is a 1970 palomino stallion.

Good luck with him.

chippie":2enj8rfr said:
I agree he is a good looking horse. Are you sure about his registered name? I was curious about his pedigree and tried looking him up at AQHA. They do not have a horse registered as "Clabberjet". There is a Clabber Jet, but he is a 1970 palomino stallion.

Good luck with him.

chippie,his full name is Mcintiresclabberjet # 4633577...........so the lady that owns him said,getting my information kinda second hand.
good luck

flaboy":1efzphxn said:
HAY MAKER":1efzphxn said:

Just curious Haymaker. When/what makes you decide to go to a curb? For what it is worth I start mine in broken snaffles also.

I like to use a broken snaffle on young horses because they dont feel trapped,if that works ,stay with it,seen many old horses that respond well to their riding cues with a snaffle.
Snaffle dont work,go to a low port curb,if the low port curb doesnt give the result you want,go to a medium port,then high,after you have them tuned up, start back down hopefully going back to a snaffle,like I stated some horses ride well with a snaffle all their life,others including one of mine is worthless without a good medium port curb bit....................good luck

HAY MAKER":2o0oybgx said:
flaboy":2o0oybgx said:
HAY MAKER":2o0oybgx said:

I like to use a broken snaffle on young horses because they dont feel trapped,if that works ,stay with it,seen many old horses that respond well to their riding cues with a snaffle.
Snaffle dont work,go to a low port curd,if the low port curb doesnt give the result you want,go to a medium port,then high,after you have them tuned up, start back down hopefully going back to a snaffle,like I stated some horses ride well with a snaffle all their life,others including one of mine is worthless without a good medium port curb bit....................good luck

I find it kind of funny. Growing up we raised all of our horses and I always used a curb even as a starter bit. This was mainly because I couldn't afford to go buy a bunch of new bits and had a bunch of curbs already. Now I start every one on a snaffle and haven't converted any to a curb yet. I guess I am just getting soft in my old age.

I find it kind of funny. Growing up we raised all of our horses and I always used a curb even as a starter bit. This was mainly because I couldn't afford to go buy a bunch of new bits and had a bunch of curbs already. Now I start every one on a snaffle and haven't converted any to a curb yet. I guess I am just getting soft in my old age.[/quote] ...... ............. yep, the local country store's when we were kids had a cheap curb bit on every bridle or headset.. we did all our riding and breaking at the same time, on the river bottoms were there was hundreds of plowed acres. we would ride awhile then one would break into... my ol bones ache thinking about that now. now its round pens with PLENTY of ground work ;-)

ALACOWMAN":14pkooka said:
I find it kind of funny. Growing up we raised all of our horses and I always used a curb even as a starter bit. This was mainly because I couldn't afford to go buy a bunch of new bits and had a bunch of curbs already. Now I start every one on a snaffle and haven't converted any to a curb yet. I guess I am just getting soft in my old age.
...... ............. yep, the local country store's when we were kids had a cheap curb bit on every bridle or headset.. we did all our riding and breaking at the same time, on the river bottoms were there was hundreds of plowed acres. we would ride awhile then one would break into... my ol bones ache thinking about that now. now its round pens with PLENTY of ground work ;-)[/quote]

Oh, and don't forget night latches and saddles that actually fit.
:lol2: :nod:

flaboy":2ei1pqk2 said:
ALACOWMAN":2ei1pqk2 said:
...... ............. yep, the local country store's when we were kids had a cheap curb bit on every bridle or headset.. we did all our riding and breaking at the same time, on the river bottoms were there was hundreds of plowed acres. we would ride awhile then one would break into... my ol bones ache thinking about that now. now its round pens with PLENTY of ground work ;-)

Oh, and don't forget night latches and saddles that actually fit.
:lol2: :nod:[/quote] yep our saddles had full quarter horse bars, but our horses were a mixture of draft, walkers, and shetlands. a hillbilly thoroughbred ;-) and the saddles we did have, went on the green one. the broke one, we went bareback.

My Dad OldDog/NewTricks saw your Post on "Ranchers" and told me this story

Around 1970 a AQHA Breeder Paid him to ride a TB Stud "Clabber" (a big sorrel) off the Track _ they had been him to AQHA Mares
He was FAST and Dad says he started making a Rope Horse out of him.
Dad reports that he could not put any weight in him. Even with the best Feeds...

Dad Had/Has a way with animals.
Dad says that one day while he was "Putting His Hands On" Clabber - He just Knew
Clabber was real sick (Cancer)
Dad called the Owners and asked that they pick him up.
They told Dad he was full of Sh*& but chose to leave him with Dad.
Six Months late he was gone _ Dad never got Paid for "His Love And Care" at the end
A sad end to/for a Nice Horse

Latest posts