My lady had to pull one

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
I'm 11 hours from the house working and my ole lady called me telling me we had a cow down struggling to get her calf out she ended up having to pull it last night the momma was just completely done my pawpaw ended up getting there right after she got the calf out said it's the biggest calf he's ever seen one of my corrientes have…. Cow was tired but they got her to get up and start licking on calf they gonna go back this morning to check on them… she didn't hesitate or complain just got in there and got the calf out no questions asked I couldn't be more proud of her now i just got 3 more I bought at same time to worry about hopefully they just spit them out

Sad that the momma didn't make it. Congrats to your wife for getting the calf pulled and going. Small consolation but at least you did save it. Best thing, if it is a bit of a pet, at least it is a heifer so you don't have to sell it or eat it.... she can earn her keep having more calves for you.

Sad that the momma didn't make it. Congrats to your wife for getting the calf pulled and going. Small consolation but at least you did save it. Best thing, if it is a bit of a pet, at least it is a heifer so you don't have to sell it or eat it.... she can earn her keep having more calves for you.
Yea momma was a older cow calf was a big calf I was hoping to get 1 out of her get her rebred the. Sell her but that didn't work out at all im down to 2-6 year old cows now may have 1 7 year old I'd have to check my book but oh and a few heifers I kept

Dang it!
That's not how ya want a bottle calf. I know! Been there. Lost a first calf heifer that prolapsed and bled out.

Hope the calf does well for you! Them lil farts get in your heart. Makes it hard to sell em

Sucks that you lost momma, hope the baby does well though! She looks cute!
maybe you can convince a cow to take on a 2nd calf? I've lost a couple cows and successfully adopted a 2nd calf onto a cow
This is one of my cows adopting her orphaned brother.. She's easy to work with, and this year she nearly stole a calf before she had hers
20180416_153719 Chroma adopting.jpg

What breed of cow is that? Since I'm kinda getting into the breeding cows to produce my own calfs thing nowadays, I'm curious to know which beef breeds mother their calves the best. :)
Sucks that you lost momma, hope the baby does well though! She looks cute!
maybe you can convince a cow to take on a 2nd calf? I've lost a couple cows and successfully adopted a 2nd calf onto a cow
This is one of my cows adopting her orphaned brother.. She's easy to work with, and this year she nearly stole a calf before she had hers
View attachment 14154

Dang it!
That's not how ya want a bottle calf. I know! Been there. Lost a first calf heifer that prolapsed and bled out.

Hope the calf does well for you! Them lil farts get in your heart. Makes it hard to sell em
I'm still in trouble for the one that I sold last fall. He gave me no choice. He was getting big and was constantly head-butting me trying to loosen up my milk. Bouncing around, got on my feet now and then. My wife cried and told me to never ask her to help again. She fed him probably 8 or 10 times for me. His name was Bob. That's the one whose mom didn't claim him and I asked if anyone on here would give her another chance. Someone said only if she could build fence. 🤣

I'm still in trouble for the one that I sold last fall. He gave me no choice. He was getting big and was constantly head-butting me trying to loosen up my milk. Bouncing around, got on my feet now and then. My wife cried and told me to never ask her to help again. She fed him probably 8 or 10 times for me. His name was Bob. That's the one whose mom didn't claim him and I asked if anyone on here would give her another chance. Someone said only if she could build fence. 🤣
Did she get that fence built?

What breed of cow is that? Since I'm kinda getting into the breeding cows to produce my own calfs thing nowadays, I'm curious to know which beef breeds mother their calves the best. :)
That's a hit and miss in any breed. It's a matter of "good mama - keep" "bad mama - one way ticket to town"

I'm 11 hours from the house working and my ole lady called me telling me we had a cow down struggling to get her calf out she ended up having to pull it last night the momma was just completely done my pawpaw ended up getting there right after she got the calf out said it's the biggest calf he's ever seen one of my corrientes have…. Cow was tired but they got her to get up and start licking on calf they gonna go back this morning to check on them… she didn't hesitate or complain just got in there and got the calf out no questions asked I couldn't be more proud of her now i just got 3 more I bought at same time to worry about hopefully they just spit them out
That's an awesome woman!!!!
I'm in the same boat. My husband works fulltime/shift. So half the time I'm 'it'. Hate it when crap happens during calving and I'm by my lonesome, but us women are capable..... =)
It's not the best situation, or the safest really, but one's gotta do what one's gotta do. Kudos to your wife, from one female to another.

There are some breeds that "seem" to be quieter or better mommas. But MOST of it is how they are raised... and how their mommas act and react to people. @Nesikep has cattle he can do most anything with. He treats them like big babies as far as attention and affection and it shows...

I have some dairy cattle and crosses. Have a 1/4 hol 3/4 angus that is right there as soon as you get out of the truck. I call her Brat.... Have a couple of hol/jer crosses I use for nurse cows... one as friendly as anything and will take any calf I give her;;;; another raises 2-3 calves for me but they get put on her when hers is born and then gets left alone except to come in the barn for grain... do not mess with her otherwise. Not mean, just does not like to be petted or anything. We run mostly angus and crosses for beef and raise feeders.... and there are some of the steer calves that get all lovey-dovey in the barn once they are weaned...wanting to be in your face and get scratches and petting...
Many people say herefords are quieter... I can't say anymore than some of our angus. I have a 1/2 Aubrac that is very easy going. Several of my 3/4 angus 1/4 dairy animals will "co-parent" and let other calves nurse them in the field...

I've been running more and more Gelbvieh blood, Yes, it really matters how they were raised too, but I enjoy the temperament of the breed and they not too big a cow with meaty calves and they have good milk. I get my bulls (and I got a heifer) from a ranch that treats them like family too.. this is an old cow getting some attention at that place 20181009_094540.jpg

The young bulls all want some attention
20181107_100749.jpg

My friend at my place getting attacked.. it's been 30 years of work getting my herd where I have it
20190925_183645.jpg

This one is my brat extraordinaire.. she knows how to weasel in between you and whoever else you're giving attention to to 'steal' the attention.. I had some visitors yesterday and she was all over them
20210616_192642.jpg

That's an awesome woman!!!!
I'm in the same boat. My husband works fulltime/shift. So half the time I'm 'it'. Hate it when crap happens during calving and I'm by my lonesome, but us women are capable..... =)
It's not the best situation, or the safest really, but one's gotta do what one's gotta do. Kudos to your wife, from one female to another.
I'm proud of your wife. She's a keeper! So sorry about your cow. We lost a 70 lb. bull calf in a difficult birth last season. Mom survived, so we're giving her one more chance. I hope you and your wife have better luck with others. The calf is a good looking girl!

Had another drop one day before yesterday pretty little blackish/brown heifer the one my lady had to pull was a older cow I bought not knowing what she was bred to but I know know she was bred to a herford bull that obviously produces big calves
I'm proud of your wife. She's a keeper! So sorry about your cow. We lost a 70 lb. bull calf in a difficult birth last season. Mom survived, so we're giving her one more chance. I hope you and your wife have better luck with others. The calf is a good looking girl!

Latest posts