My Heifers' calves

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
Thought I would post pictures of my newest editions.
This one last week . Angus X star 5
cows013.jpg

This one yesterday. Angus x gert
cows024.jpg

I like it to, hope to keep them healthy and get them to the sale barn!!! How early do most of you wean calves off heifers? How long before I turn the bull lose?

midtncattle":sc0xqp1x said:
I like it to, hope to keep them healthy and get them to the sale barn!!! How early do most of you wean calves off heifers? How long before I turn the bull lose?

I wean calves so the oldest are close to seven months, most calves are born the first three weeks, and most of the rest are born the next three weeks. The youngest possible calves would be five months.

I guess you want the calves next year in the end of march? then let the bull out in late june. I would recommend that you have all cows to calve in a short period of time, so it is wise to wait until all cows have calved (or at least those you want to keep), before letting the bull out with the cows. I suggest you keep the bull with the cows for sixty days and if there are opens just cull them. Sometimes I do it like this, and sometimes I left the bulls with the cows until they started calving. It is still possible to cull according to preg check or to sell the late calvers next year.