My girls

Help Support CattleToday:

vclavin

Reaction score
Here's a few pics. Comments welcome.

This is Tinkerbell - possible twins? ..due spring. She is out of Spur Success and was 48lbs BW.
KeithPebbles752541.jpg

Spring of 2010 weaned calves - mostly heifers. We keep them together for 2 weeks then seperate them. Heifer on the far left is a blind bred heifer (Spring 2009)
11-25-2010001.jpg

same group w/o blind heifer
11-25-2010002.jpg

Other side of bunk.
11-25-2010003.jpg

Spring bred cow
11-25-2010004.jpg

Spring bred heifer (xbreed)

11-25-2010006.jpg

Spring bred heifer (xbreed)
11-25-2010008.jpg

Spring bred cows
11-25-2010007.jpg

vclavin,
Really nice set of bred heifers, you should be proud. Deep and wide and most importantly well taken care of. What are some of the sires of those heifers?

Valerie they look very nice. Have you decided on a herf bull to A-I with or did you ditch the idea.

Very nice stout set of cows you have.

jscunn":16l1elfd said:
vclavin,
Really nice set of bred heifers, you should be proud. Deep and wide and most importantly well taken care of. What are some of the sires of those heifers?
Oh my, heifers are out of LCC New Standard, Mytty in Focus, Phoenix, Focus 20-20. Thanks you for the compliments.
Valerie

JHH":v4w2hg1n said:
Valerie they look very nice. Have you decided on a herf bull to A-I with or did you ditch the idea.

Thank you. Still planning to AI a few xbred cows to see what happens. I may try on a reg Angus cow next year depending on this outcome.
Valerie

KNERSIE":x263slly said:
I like the heifers, why would you keep a blind heifer, though?
She's out of Lcc New Standard and a beautify Lady is very easily managed. She lets you hold her chin and follows you...will also follow your voice. She understands the words "easy".."careful" to mean stop and beware of an obstacle. She is bred to Rito 6I6, doc says she can raise it herself...we shall see. :???:
Before keeping her, we decided to run a DNA test on her. It had to be good , really good for her to stay.

Your opinion.. were we right? Registration #16425576

DNA Profile Details as of 11/23/2010, Skyline Farms - 1050247.
Herd ID/Tattoo: 907/907, Cow Dam Assn Num: AAA 13646771
Calf Assn Num: AAA 16425576 [RDF] Sire Assn Num: AAA 14218253 [AMF-CAF-NHF]
Birth Date: 03/10/2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results Recvd Date: 06/24/2010 File: 360433 A-1050247 Skyline Farms, Bosworth MO
CED BW WW ADG YW RFI DMI YH SC Doc HP CEM Milk MW MH Stay
6 4 7 7 7 8 4 5 5 5 4 5 5 4 6 9

CW Marb RE FAT Tend Color BVD
8 8 7 4 9 RDF

plumber_greg":1cvyyyb3 said:
I like the heifers also. Didn't like the 48 lb. birth weight, but not a big fan of real low birth weights. gs
Believe me, I did not plan 48lb BW!!! I saw her running under her momma and thought "wow , she's tiny" I weighed her 3 times on the electronic scales!!!! She is a daughter of Spur Success and her mother is a grand daughter of Focus of ER. TInkerbell - Angus #15352274 ; 52" at hip and weighs 1582 BCS of 8. and 5 months pregnant.
Valerie
PS Most BW's in our herd are 65-92 , we have had only 1 - 102 and 1 - 104lb.

Australian":3i58ys37 said:
Great to see for a change a nice moderate framed Angus group. There are too many pointed butt leggy Angus cattle around. These cattle look they would be good doing cattle out in the paddock and not need lots of pampering.
Thanks for the compliments Australian.
Valerie

Valerie-

Now, THIS is as universally a consistent and uniform a group of heifers as I have seen on these pages in quite a while! You have standardized your Frame size to what is an expected PROFIT package to maximize the cost effective factors in feed requirements and marbling and REA traits. You are not having to feed over-sized matrons to produce profit-making progeny! Well done!

The "Milk" EPD on your "sight-challenged" heifer (+33) exceeds my guide lines for seedstock choices, but that is only a 'single trait selection' protocol in the overall selection package, and other criteria may dictate your decision to retain her for seedstock, at least for a couple of pregnancies or so to evaluate her progeny. Is she completely blind, or can she determine objects? Physiologically, when one 'sense' is lost, the others (hearing, touch, smell, taste, feeling) are enhanced. I had a blind mule once that managed his life and work very successfully. He was as stubborn as a rock, but most Missourians are!! :???: I am, and so is my Ruthie, but don't tell her I said so!

Taking everything that I can 'see' in these pictures into consideration, you should be very proud of your efforts and Phenotypical results with your herd.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2992oyr5 said:
Valerie-

Now, THIS is as universally a consistent and uniform a group of heifers as I have seen on these pages in quite a while! You have standardized your Frame size to what is an expected PROFIT package to maximize the cost effective factors in feed requirements and marbling and REA traits. You are not having to feed over-sized matrons to produce profit-making progeny! Well done!

The "Milk" EPD on your "sight-challenged" heifer (+33) exceeds my guide lines for seedstock choices, but that is only a 'single trait selection' protocol in the overall selection package, and other criteria may dictate your decision to retain her for seedstock, at least for a couple of pregnancies or so to evaluate her progeny. Is she completely blind, or can she determine objects? Physiologically, when one 'sense' is lost, the others (hearing, touch, smell, taste, feeling) are enhanced. I had a blind mule once that managed his life and work very successfully. He was as stubborn as a rock, but most Missourians are!! :???: I am, and so is my Ruthie, but don't tell her I said so!

Taking everything that I can 'see' in these pictures into consideration, you should be very proud of your efforts and Phenotypical results with your herd.

DOC HARRIS
Doc,
Thank you for the compliments and comments. Yes, I too dislike the high milk EPD and much prefer around +20 - +25. She at least gives the abilty to put a low milk EPD bull on her that I might not ordinarily use. Right now she is AI bred to Rito 6I6, partly because this bulls calves are unusually docile and the thinking there would be easier for her to manage. Her line also need a lower BW EPD. We shall see if I chose wisely.
She seems to be able to see a certain amount of shadows. She'll get real close to an object and stop, shift direction and go around. Maybe she just has an extremely good memory to where all obstacles are located.
Valerie

vclavin":1hz4w33y said:
JHH":1hz4w33y said:

Thank you. Still planning to AI a few xbred cows to see what happens. I may try on a reg Angus cow next year depending on this outcome.
Valerie

JHH,
Bred 2 cross older cows to the Hereford bull and 1 reg# 15496370 Angus cow - I couldn't resist.
Her Ultrasound wt 813lbs; IMF- 7.84 ratio 104 ; RE 9.6 ratio 107; rib fat .37 ratio 116; rump fat .39 ratio 103.
Valerie

Latest posts