My girl is here

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Well, she's here a little earlier than expected.

I was having headaches with organising the transport guy, so I drove up myself and got her yesterday.

I'm glad I did too, even if I cant get her to breed. The current owner wasnt exactly treating her real well. She was tethered - lost a lot of hair and has lumps on her neck, no shelter, and expected to live off weeds. She is really thin as a result. Her feet were neglected and in desperate need of a trim - although it is going to take me months to get them back to normal because the blood supply has grown into the overgrown hoof.

Her registered name is Glendowen Madeline, and she's a 98 model.

Took some 'before' photos so I can compare in a month's time after some good feed.

Not the best photos, sorry, took them at the wrong time of day.

9-05-08_Goats_162.JPG

I took this one in an attempt to show you how thin she is. You can sort of see it but its not as clear as I would like. We have a BCS scale from 1 - 5 with 1 being emaciated and 5 being obese, and I would class her as 1.2

9-05-08_Goats_169.JPG

She looks good from the side, but the top view sure shows how emaciated she is. Wow. :eek: Best of luck with her Karen -- I'm glad you own her now and she'll be well taken care of, but I also hope you get many does out of her!

Out of curiousity, what's a goat's normal lifespan?

she just needs some feed in her.an a good worming.most likely her being thin is why she wouldnt breed back.

Oh I feel for her. She is WAY to skinny!!! I'm so glad that you got her...even being thin though she is absolutly beautiful. You can easily see how she won. Good luck, and keep us updated! Over here in Europe embryo transplant is a big deal for sheep and goats(sheep dont work very well though)...so if she can conceive, but the embryo can't implant for some reason, that ET might be something that would work?...I really do hope you can get some kids out of her, she's is beautiful. Congradulations on the newest addition to the family!

MM- The average livespan is about 15 if I recall correctly(am I right on that one Keren?)

That is a very lucky goat. With some good care, I'll bet you get some beautiful babies from her. Everytime you post, it makes me want to get into raising goats. :heart:

Msscamp - just knots from where the collar has rubbed her skin raw - I know what you were thinking ;-) definitely not CL and she is negative for CAE as well. I wouldnt have her if she wasnt. That being said, the diseases arent as prevalent in Australia as they are in America.

Fourstates - get some goats - you'll love them!

Rangergirl - I agree - she is beautiful. ET will be one of the things on my list to try if I cannot get her to carry the pregnancy. But I am hoping to get one lot of kids out of her, and if there are does in the litter I will retire her from kidding but flush her a couple of times and put the embryos in my dairy cross goats. If she kids but only bucks I will try for a second pregnancy.

Bigbull, she most likely wasnt that thin when she was on the dairy. What happened was the dairy couldnt get her to rebreed so they sold her as a pet, and the next owner had her for about 12 months and in that time she has gotten real thin because they didnt give her any decent feed.

MM - I had been sent a side photo from the current (pet) owner and she didnt look all that thin. I was shocked when I picked her up. She is eating like a horse now :lol2: I am amazed that she is so sweet and loving after being mistreated for a year. Productive life is usually between 8 and 10 years, with the older ones going till about 15. If they are retired at 8 - 10 yrs they can live until around 20 as pets. At the moment I have an angora doe turning 9 this year still breeding, my mentor down the road has a 16 yr old angora still breeding and at work we have about a dozen boer does between 10 and 15 still going strong. With a bit of TLC they can do it, so I'm hoping this doe will go okay. If I can get just one litter with one doe kid I will be happy, and not ask her for any more.

TNMasterBeefProducer - :lol2: CAB

Hope I answered everyone!

Latest posts