my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Help Support CattleToday:

I understand that you want a live calf. Holm25 is right. RA/BA have plenty of good LBW bulls out there to go with and you won't lose 1/2 your money on the first calf. I would assume Southern OK Isnt longhorn friendly, but I could be wrong. Here in the Texas Panhandle longhorn crosses get pooled together and will bring about half what solid calves bring. I know it's not all about money with what you're saying for a first calf but at the same time maybe if you look around your area you can find a fairly good low birth weight bull to give you a solid colored calf so it would be a win-win for you.good luck either way.

First calf heifers do not have to be bred for a "throw-away" calf. You are doing a great job raising these heifers. I agree they are probably BCS 6.
Here's a site for you to look at:
http://factsheets.okstate.edu/documents ... beef-cows/
And I agree, the Angus bull Bankroll can't walk (based on the video).
There are tons of easy calving bulls of many breeds. Just remember, just because they are bred to have a small calf - sh$t happens. Tangled twins, backwards calf, head back, leg back. Abnormal presentations are not real common, but also not "uncommon". Not trying to scare you at all. Just reminding you this is real life and crap happens. Be prepared.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":k66ws75d said:
First calf heifers do not have to be bred for a "throw-away" calf. You are doing a great job raising these heifers. I agree they are probably BCS 6.
Here's a site for you to look at:
http://factsheets.okstate.edu/documents ... beef-cows/
And I agree, the Angus bull Bankroll can't walk (based on the video).
There are tons of easy calving bulls of many breeds. Just remember, just because they are bred to have a small calf - sh$t happens. Tangled twins, backwards calf, head back, leg back. Abnormal presentations are not real common, but also not "uncommon". Not trying to scare you at all. Just reminding you this is real life and crap happens. Be prepared.

That Bankroll looks great in his picture but just completely falls apart over his top line in the video and those feet don't move.. And he looks like an Ornery sucker.