my costs for finished beef

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":2yehxl6t said:
even at a cheaper price its hard enough to bring in cust that can spend 1k for a half and have enough space to accomodate it...i have no complaints about my prices..just that they dont have all that space or cash to spend at once.
If instead of charging that 1k for a half of beef, you would charge market price, it would only cost $570. Not nearly as much cash to spend at once, just sayin.

What can I say, I ask if they want standard cuts, thickness, etc. Usually they say standard and I ask how thick. Then I ask how many lbs on the roast and how many on the ground....its almost always the same with very few exceptions.

Inbred, if I'm reading you right, you also think that DB and I are charging too much????

Most folks are easy to deal with if their treated fairly. I haven't tried selling to the public yet, never thought it was worth the hassle. If yearlings ever go back under 1.00$ I'm going to start selling and processing as much as possible. Hook were paying 250.00 a ton for 14% pelleted feed here. You know that old saying "its not how much you make, its how much you get to keep" the keeping buys the toys.

I don't care what either of you charge, you would sell more beef to more customers if you charged market price. The customers would be happier with the same product at a lower price. Trust me when I tell you, your beef is no better than what could be bought at a salebarn.

Inbred, I personally disgree. Myself, and the people I sell to, want to know EXACTLY what goes into their beef. That means that I grow them a particular way, with natural inputs. My cubes are natural cubes. My grain for finishing is natural grains. I don't implant. I don't vaccinate. The only thing I do is worm.
The people I sell to don't want to eat the same meat that goes to Mcdonalds, burger king, win dixie, etc. Thy want to know exactly what goes into each and everyone.
It may not taste different to some palates, but to us it does. Its better, and much more satisfying knowing that I had my hands in each and every step.
You can't get that from the salebarn

hooknline":3mlr5f4a said:
Inbred, I personally disgree. Myself, and the people I sell to, want to know EXACTLY what goes into their beef. That means that I grow them a particular way, with natural inputs. My cubes are natural cubes. My grain for finishing is natural grains. I don't implant. I don't vaccinate. The only thing I do is worm.
The people I sell to don't want to eat the same meat that goes to Mcdonalds, burger king, win dixie, etc. Thy want to know exactly what goes into each and everyone.
It may not taste different to some palates, but to us it does. Its better, and much more satisfying knowing that I had my hands in each and every step.
You can't get that from the salebarn
Well unfortunately none of the people raising beef think their beef is bad or raised poorly. So where does the bad beef at the sale barn come from?

Don't know how to answer that question because its a matter of personal preferences.I've raised bad beef before tho. Tuff as nails, but great flavor. 2 steers, kept one sold one. The one I sold, they still asked for more.
As an example, imout of beef right now.wife picked up some ground we just ate today. bland, flavorless, chewy junk..just reminded me of how lucky we are to be able to grow our own.
That I guarantee was a salebarn head

Tell ya what. Ill offer this to anyone who thinks it can be done cheaper here:
Ill supply the land and labor..you supply one calf. You find feed cheaper, hay cheaper, and grain cheaper than what I'm finding. You'll only pay direct costs. Ill do all the labor. Animal is yours.Ill raise em any way you want. Then we'll compare costs and see where things stand.
This is a serious offer, if anyone wants to take me up on it

hooknline":3qka8s9q said:
Don't know how to answer that question because its a matter of personal preferences.I've raised bad beef before tho. Tuff as nails, but great flavor. 2 steers, kept one sold one. The one I sold, they still asked for more.
As an example, imout of beef right now.wife picked up some ground we just ate today. bland, flavorless, chewy junk..just reminded me of how lucky we are to be able to grow our own.
That I guarantee was a salebarn head
That was an old canner cow that they threw in some butter ball angus fat in with. Market price for a canner cow is $52. If you want to compare your fed cattle to canners, fine but remember how much cheaper canners sell for, around $1.00 hanging compared to $1.90 hanging for fed cattle, and then $3.50 hanging for yours.

Inbred. Why don't more beef buyers go to the sale barn and but their beef there and take it right to the butcher?

hooknline":3av8r7ma said:
Inbred. Why don't more beef buyers go to the sale barn and but their beef there and take it right to the butcher?
They do here, They make a butcher appointment, they phone the salebarn tell the sale barn operator what they want in a steer or heifer. The sale barn operator usually buys the market topper of the day, and one of the local yokels with a trailer delivers the steer or heifer to the butcher. 14 days later the consumer of the beef has their beef cut, wrapped and frozen for $2.47 hanging.

Do the buyers have any clue what they are getting?
Do they even care?
Point I'm trying to make is this:
My buyers care what they get, very much so
Costs here are far higher across the board than mostother places.
I don't understand why it is so difficult for some to grasp these concepts.
I appreciate your honest and respectful answers inbred.

hooknline":jk3k0pgf said:
Do the buyers have any clue what they are getting?
Do they even care?
Point I'm trying to make is this:
My buyers care what they get, very much so
Costs here are far higher across the board than mostother places.
I don't understand why it is so difficult for some to grasp these concepts.
I appreciate your honest and respectful answers inbred.
Is your word better than a sale barn operator who has been in business for 50 years, a man who has judged quality cattle and not quality cattle all his life, a man who knows exactly how certain cattle are raised as a result of 50 years of on farm visits bidding on said cattle, this man is just as responsible for providing his customers a quality beef product as you are.

To the people I sell to, who also know me well btw, yes. My word is worth far more.

Latest posts