my costs for finished beef

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

ok, for the skeptics out there:
costs me 1.25/day during the summer months, and 1.75 during the winter. this includes hay and cubes. so a calf costs me 547.00 right off the bat. then at 6 months, they are weaned, so thats another 273.00 for half the year. then since its grass raised, it takes another 10-12 months to get to 1000 bs. lets say another 10, thats another 450 bucks. total so far: 1270 bucks. then add in butcher cost of.40/b hanging (600 lb avg) and 40.00 kill fee. total is now 1550.00. add in grain to finish at 200 bucks for 60 days, now 1750.00 total cost. not including fuel, time, mineral, wormer, pasture inprovements( winter grasses, overseeding in spring, lime tec) fence repairs, land cost
now carcass at 600 lb at 3.5/lb hanging is 2100 bucks. so my profit for 2 years of work is 350.00 bucks. woohoo! not bad for about 15 hours a week for 2 years.
anyway, for everyone saying I must be joking,ripping people off, etc.....whattya think now??????

hooknline":3v2z6904 said:
costs me 1.25/day during the summer months, and 1.75 during the winter. this includes hay and cubes. so a calf costs me 547.00 right off the bat. then at 6 months, they are weaned, so thats another 273.00 for half the year. then since its grass raised, it takes another 10-12 months to get to 1000 bs. lets say another 10, thats another 450 bucks. total so far: 1270 bucks. then add in butcher cost of.40/b hanging (600 lb avg) and 40.00 kill fee. total is now 1550.00. add in grain to finish at 200 bucks for 60 days, now 1750.00 total cost. not including fuel, time, mineral, wormer, pasture inprovements( winter grasses, overseeding in spring, lime tec) fence repairs, land cost
now carcass at 600 lb at 3.5/lb hanging is 2100 bucks. so my profit for 2 years of work is 350.00 bucks. woohoo! not bad for about 15 hours a week for 2 years.
anyway, for everyone saying I must be joking,ripping people off, etc.....whattya think now??????

personally i dont care what you get. i say if you can get $10/lb than good for you. if 3.5 is what makes ya happy than 3.5 it is. i would have to rely on the fact that if someone is paying that price for it (wiether it be 2 or 10 doesnt matter) and still coming back for more than you are giving them a product for a price that they think it more than fair. so i dont see why anyone would say you are cheating somebody. those same people that call you a cheat should maybe raise a better product or sharpen thier marketing skills and get a little more for thiers. looking at it like this a cow calf producer if he takes his weaned calves to the salebarn to sell and they give him 1.3 one year and a 1.6 the next i dont know one of them that would say hold on wait a min. you take that extra .3 back cause i am getting to much and that makes me a cheater. it the same concept for selling it on the rail i would assume.
now to my questions and in no where in here am i calling you a cheater or a liar or anything of the sort so by all means dont take offense to this. i am assuming 1.25 summer and 1.75 winter for the cost of 547 is for the pasture and feed to runa cow for a year right? if so i wish you lived around here cause i would lease some pasture run them for you and do the work on the cow/calf part of the operation and knock off 67 dollars right off the top. the 273 for the next 6 months on the calf is equal to half a year figuring on a cow is that were that figure came from? if so they are charging the same to run a weaned calf as they do a cow roughly? are they feeding and putting wieght on over the winter for that? if so how much lb/day gain are you getting on them? wondering cause around here if you feed a calf heavy over the winter (putting gain on them not just growing) than you wouldnt turn back out on grass cause you could lose 50-100lbs right away do so. (keep in mind this is what i am told from yearling guys i know cause i have no first hand experiance with them other than the cow calf part and just growing heifers threw winter. now the 450 for the next 10 months on grass the closest i came to that figure is to run a cow for the 10 months would be 455 or 5/6 of the yearly cost of 547 to run a cow so that would be 450 on the calf or close to that 10 months like a cow would cost. so were your at they charge the same to run a yearling as they do a cow? if so i would say that there seems unfair if just putting them both on grass.
one other thing and somebody correct me cause there is a good chance i am wrong here but take a typical angus type steer for size wise. i was always led to believe finished wieght is close to 1200 lbs sometime more sometimes less depending on frame but that 1200lbs is a close guess

Lon, correct that figure is for the cow for a year getting the calf from her. I run everything on grass year round and feed based on # of head, yearling or full grown.
As for finish weights, its based on frame size, not weight. I used 1000 lbs for a round figure and ease of math

And when I say I feed its just range cubes. I also count a calf as one head once they are weaned. Again, for ease of computation

Just another thought.......If you are finishing a greater number of steers, would the price go down a bit. Usually better prices buying cubes, or grain in bulk. I'm not sure just throwing that out there. I usually only finish beef for a few people and myself. The only reason is because I do not have the set up to finish a bunch of steers. On one of my other posts some others were wondering why anyone would choose to do cow/calves and finish. I think that the obvious has been stated. If one can make some extra $$$$ then why not do it. Any time you can avoid the ups and downs at the sale barn you are better off.

I only finish 2, maybe 3 a year except this year. Only 1. Between me and my MIL, we only have 11 hd total, 5 of which are calves. 3 calves and 1 cow are going to the sale barn in spring. One steer to butcher in jan. I buys cubes by the pallet. 30% cubes at 520/ton bagged. 20% cubes are 10 bucks a bag, and 30% are 13/ bag. Pallet quantity prices. You guys that can buy bulk anything at the prices you are don't know how good you have it. I do have a line on bulk bag feed that's cheaper, and I'm looking into it monday.

Lon":2mllpu1a said:
hooknline":2mllpu1a said:

personally i dont care what you get. i say if you can get $10/lb than good for you. if 3.5 is what makes ya happy than 3.5 it is. i would have to rely on the fact that if someone is paying that price for it (wiether it be 2 or 10 doesnt matter) and still coming back for more than you are giving them a product for a price that they think it more than fair. so i dont see why anyone would say you are cheating somebody. those same people that call you a cheat should maybe raise a better product or sharpen thier marketing skills and get a little more for thiers. looking at it like this a cow calf producer if he takes his weaned calves to the salebarn to sell and they give him 1.3 one year and a 1.6 the next i dont know one of them that would say hold on wait a min. you take that extra .3 back cause i am getting to much and that makes me a cheater. it the same concept for selling it on the rail i would assume.
now to my questions and in no where in here am i calling you a cheater or a liar or anything of the sort so by all means dont take offense to this. i am assuming 1.25 summer and 1.75 winter for the cost of 547 is for the pasture and feed to runa cow for a year right? if so i wish you lived around here cause i would lease some pasture run them for you and do the work on the cow/calf part of the operation and knock off 67 dollars right off the top. the 273 for the next 6 months on the calf is equal to half a year figuring on a cow is that were that figure came from? if so they are charging the same to run a weaned calf as they do a cow roughly? are they feeding and putting wieght on over the winter for that? if so how much lb/day gain are you getting on them? wondering cause around here if you feed a calf heavy over the winter (putting gain on them not just growing) than you wouldnt turn back out on grass cause you could lose 50-100lbs right away do so. (keep in mind this is what i am told from yearling guys i know cause i have no first hand experiance with them other than the cow calf part and just growing heifers threw winter. now the 450 for the next 10 months on grass the closest i came to that figure is to run a cow for the 10 months would be 455 or 5/6 of the yearly cost of 547 to run a cow so that would be 450 on the calf or close to that 10 months like a cow would cost. so were your at they charge the same to run a yearling as they do a cow? if so i would say that there seems unfair if just putting them both on grass.
one other thing and somebody correct me cause there is a good chance i am wrong here but take a typical angus type steer for size wise. i was always led to believe finished wieght is close to 1200 lbs sometime more sometimes less depending on frame but that 1200lbs is a close guess
Lon, you can't compare prices from a sale barn from 1 year to another to this. That is called MARKET price at the time. Charging double market price ,or more, to your "friends" is gouging. Ask yourself if you have a clear CONSCIENCE. I sell to friends neighbors,relatives & co-workers, I'd like to think I'm treating them FAIRLY. I like how you are fine with him charging whatever ,& then begin to question all of his other facts & figures. It seems to me that it's just a hobby for him,to try & get rich on,at his customers (& friends ) expense. Just keep that in mind the next time gas goes up a quater a gallon & you're griping, that the oil companies are gouging.................................. :bang:

Jealous much roadhog? Please see my response in the other thread. And remember, I'm not getting rich, as you say, off selling 1 or 2 hd a year at 350 bucks profit each. You're idea of rich is far different from mine. Have a good night sir

hooknline":1elxjpfj said:
Jealous much roadhog? Please see my response in the other thread. And remember, I'm not getting rich, as you say, off selling 1 or 2 hd a year at 350 bucks profit each. You're idea of rich is far different from mine. Have a good night sir

Jealous ? not hardly. The majority of real producers are on my side ( & in my price range ,FAIR & REASONABLE,for buyer & seller ) ,so I will consider that to make me the winner & you = the loser, but I already knew that.................... :wave:

$1.90 per pound hanging and $1.20 per pound live seems to be the most fair price in today's market.

Sorry roadhog, haven't seen even one person weigh in saying your right and I'm a loser. Maybe you're the real loser for not charging enough for what your time is worth....I don't know because you haven't posted your costs, your inputs, your prices, your profit. Lay it out there for all the world to see like I did...

hooknline":cucxatc7 said:
No disrecpect, but if it takes you 15 hours a week for 104 weeks to finish 2 steers you are doing something tragically wrong.

Inbred, I'm still improving pastures, raising calfs and moms. Nearest feed is 1.5 hrs away round trip, same for hay..it all adds up quickly

hooknline":1mx84tqx said:
Sorry roadhog, haven't seen even one person weigh in saying your right and I'm a loser. Maybe you're the real loser for not charging enough for what your time is worth....I don't know because you haven't posted your costs, your inputs, your prices, your profit. Lay it out there for all the world to see like I did...
All you" laid out " were a bunch of made up numbers, :bs: & figures you guessed at .(you may want to see the post above this one,I believe he used "tragically wrong" as a description for your operation ) If your cost's are that high,TAKE MY ADVICE ( no charge ,just for you ,- SELL OUT & work some overtime at the Wal-Mart, you'll be way ahead!

hooknline":hydd6f3j said:
Inbred, I'm still improving pastures, raising calfs and moms. Nearest feed is 1.5 hrs away round trip, same for hay..it all adds up quickly
Hook, just cancel my order, Gouger!! :lol:

hooknline":1vut20lg said:
location, is the same reason people in LA don't raise cattle, it's not profitable with normal market prices.

Sure thing roadhog...I'd be money ahead at minimum wage..good thing I do this for fun, oh.but you think I'm getting rich selling one or 2 a year
You and I will never see eye to eye and that's it.

Man yer operation parallels mine. i do bout the same here. i get 3$ on the hook but yeah were close.
man you gotta find a way to get citrus pellets...goin for 250 ton right now. idk if there a citrus plant nearby tho..yer too far from me.

gary

Hook, I noticed (maybe incorrectly) you didn't factor in the cost of fuel, pasture inprovement, machinery repair/depreciation and many other costs. I sell mine at the market right now but when I factor in those costs for the year I am actually losing money. Then again that is according to plan as I really am just getting started. This is my third calf crop. Learned a lot to date and have started reducing cost as my pasture and hay fields are getting better. Much of what I have learned is via reading on here other folk's questions, the resulting arguments, asking dumb questions, at times placing dumb comments and lots of trials and errors.

I am working towards marketing my own beef finished according to customer requests, either grain or grass finished. To do so my breakeven would be 3.50 per pound and I am planning on starting over the next two calf crops. Next year will see me hopefully selling 5 steers to customers via a contract that requires a down payment. I will cover the costs of basic slaughter and kill. If they want special cuts they have to pay that cost.

I have mentioned this in conversation to friends at work and other places and typically I get the same response: You mean I can eat steak for the price I pay at the super market for hamburger?

All that was said to say this: I think that you are pricing your beef too low for the quality and for the fact your "customers" can actually know what they are eating! This source of beef (private treaty) is why some folks are WILLING to pay a "premium" for your product. Just my :2cents: and I will keep :bang: away at the process and keeping wondering why some folks are so QUICK to jump on someone else's back.