My brother's bull

Help Support CattleToday:

calm down doc..i guess the tone being said cant be heard on the internet huh! i was just joshin bout that there.
seriously though its one of the few bulls on here everyone had good things to say about and i was curious as to what he might be worth to an educated bull buyer....

was that your bull doc?? cuz even the owner didnt kick me that hard...

Doc,

Don't mean to be a smart a$$, but just a few weeks ago you were arguing my exact point with the lighter Leachman of Colorado ET calves. Now you say you need to check out the recip dam and see how she has done. You are the one that always says use the EPD's and not the actual weights and measurements. So which one is it? Again not trying to be funny, you just have me confused.

Bryan

dieselbeef":2f6y9t24 said:
calm down doc..i guess the tone being said cant be heard on the internet huh! i was just joshin bout that there.
seriously though its one of the few bulls on here everyone had good things to say about and i was curious as to what he might be worth to an educated bull buyer....

was that your bull doc?? cuz even the owner didnt kick me that hard...
:shock: Whew! dieselbeef -No - the bull isn't mine. I could have used him several years ago!

There was no doubt in my mind that you were kidding! I just used that 'opening' in the discussion to make a point. I didn't mean to ride you that much. Perhaps if I had inserted the word "that' just after the word 'genotype' and just before 'you' it could have made more sense.

That type of technic that I used in my response to you is one that I used a lot when I was teaching - to grab student's attention in order to make a point..My classes were not High School Students. They were adult Farmers and Ranchers - most of whom were older than I was! I used every trick that I could to make points - so that they would be remembered. Apparently I succeeded on this subject!

Another bit of Phylosophy while we are on the subject: the mental attitudes of a person are dictated by many events and occurrences - among them being self-reproach and self-criticisms - the relevance to this subject being your comment about being "cheap". If one tells onself enough times that they are "cheap", or "unimportant", or any of a number of demeaning and derogatory terms - sooner or later that person's subconscious thought processes convinces him/her that what they keep saying is true! . . .whether it is Negative thoughts or POSITIVE THOUGHTS! It is advisable to always tell yourself that you are right :nod: 8) - good looking :clap: - and intelligent :nod: , even if others don't agree with you! :lol2:

Anyway - I would pay $10,000 for that bull if he fit my requirements and protocols - -assuming that the banker would go along with me! :roll: (Which of course he would - of COURSE he would! CERTAINLY HE WOULD! You are NOT cheap! NOT CHEAP! NOT CHEAP! You are . . . .stingy-no-no - -tight-fisted -no-no-no - uh - Frugal! That's it! You are FRUGAL and Financially Responsible! Keep telling yourself that! And a darned good judge of cattle!

DOC HARRIS

BRG":2mtulcd4 said:
Doc,

Don't mean to be a smart a$$, but just a few weeks ago you were arguing my exact point with the lighter Leachman of Colorado ET calves. Now you say you need to check out the recip dam and see how she has done. You are the one that always says use the EPD's and not the actual weights and measurements. So which one is it? Again not trying to be funny, you just have me confused.

Bryan
Bryan-

To "UN-confuse you" - I did not say to check out the recip dam TO THE EXCLUSION OF weights and measurements. It was just an ADDITIONAL protocol to ascertain the reason for a somewhat perceived blemish of a WW below optimal acceptance.

And while we are discussing EPD's, - I am sure that you must acknowledge the fact that I consistently combine and consolidate EPD's WITH Phenotype Characteristics! I do NOT advocate single trait selection technics!

I hope that after you have read BOTH of my responses to this thread - to you and dieselbeef -you are not confused. This is beginning to tax my old mind (oh oh! I didn't mean to say that! My mind is young, YOUNG, YOUNG YOUNG!!). and DON'T YOU FORGET IT!

now let's see. . . . .where was I?. . . . . .oh yes . . .the smart a$$ remark. No, I don't think you are a smart a$$. Just a little confused. :???:

DOC HARRIS

I was just wanting to see what your reasoning were.

Thanks and just to let you know I am always a little confused. :lol:

I have to agree with BRG on this one. And BA.

He is a dang nice calf. Really nice structure to his muscle, too.

600 - 586 = 14 pounds.

He might have taken a crap that big right before he stepped on the scales.

While I understand the principles of having some concrete standards for selecting bulls, I also understand the futility of setting them so tight that you overlook the good ones, just so you can keep your standards. Also, consider that the folks you ae buying bulls from will probably have 25-35 pound swings in WW over the course of a few years.

Cattle are improved by judgement just as much as by rules. This calf is worth a risk, I think.

Badlands

To add to this, I have noticed that in our own program, that the summer and fall calves are always lighter on average than the spring born calves, and the fall calvers are lighter than the summer calvers. The falls are lighter becasue the are raised in some tough weather, and the cow is not milking nearly as hard as the cows on grass. The summer calves are born when the grass is at its best and they are not getting to use this grass like the spring born calves. To me, this is no reason not to use a bull if he is lighter at weaning than we are all used to.

He looks good kind of anyway you stack him from pedigree to epd's to eye appeal. Do you have a picture of his mother.

Here she is at 8 yo.

10-22-05-calves-026.jpg

DOC HARRIS":sac9wljl said:
Another bit of Phylosophy while we are on the subject: the mental attitudes of a person are dictated by many events and occurrences - among them being self-reproach and self-criticisms - the relevance to this subject being your comment about being "cheap". If one tells onself enough times that they are "cheap", or "unimportant", or any of a number of demeaning and derogatory terms - sooner or later that person's subconscious thought processes convinces him/her that what they keep saying is true! . . .whether it is Negative thoughts or POSITIVE THOUGHTS! It is advisable to always tell yourself that you are right :nod: 8) - good looking :clap: - and intelligent :nod: , even if others don't agree with you! :lol2:

DOC HARRIS

Good advice as usual, DOC. BTW, I'm not always right, but I definitely am intelligent and good looking. ;-)

I wasn't able to find one and she is dry right now, so I went and took a couple of his full sisters that just calved a month ago. They had recently been nursed.

4_19_07_bulls%20003.jpg

4_19_07_bulls%20005.jpg

Latest posts