My brother's bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Tod Dague

Reaction score
The pics aren't very good but I think you can make them out. The bulls haven't settled in just yet.

4_14_07_bulls%20006.jpg

4_16_07_bulls2%20015.jpg

He is out of my Brandi Ice cow and Gold Robber.

Pretty good numbers too. Do you happen to know what his yw is.

My brother is obviously the better photographer. Here is a new pic.

4_16_07_bulls3%20072.jpg

He was about a 1050 at a year. I haven't calculated it yet.

I really like the looks of those bulls. They seem to show nice muscling and depth. They look like they'd add lbs to a calf crop. I like the bone in them as well. Nice Bulls.

Those are BEEF Bulls. Excellent depth and length. Probably one of the best muscled ones on here. Good job on them and good luck.

That weaning weight don't mean anything since he is an embryo calf. Evidentally the cow that raised him did not milk very well. If he had been raised on his true dam, he would have most likely weighed well over 600lbs

High quality bull. Well put together. One of our cow lines is from the Schuler Brandini line just like him. Interesting to see it, don't see them often. Nice bull!

cowboyup216
Rancher

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:11 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like him. Only thing I can fault him on is 586 weaning weight. I wont own a bull with under a 600 pound weaning weight. If you are selling pounds per calf weaned 586 just aint gonna cut it. Other than that little thing he is a heck of a bull.

BRG
Rancher

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:31 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That weaning weight don't mean anything since he is an embryo calf. Evidentally the cow that raised him did not milk very well. If he had been raised on his true dam, he would have most likely weighed well over 600lbs

I understand the merits of both of the above posts. There could be MANY reasons that a bull would have a weaning weight of 586 lbs, and certainly the dam he was nursing could be the primary reason, particularly if he was an ET calf. Fourteen pounds certainly would not disuade me from investigating a little further into the reasons for the WW. - such as - what were the weights of his dam's progeny prior to the pregnancy which produced him? The weather, the drought, the environment during the pregnancy - all these things or any one of them could have had a negative influence.

DOC HARRIS

Just a little more info. He is a frame score 5, scrotal 36.5, he had the 3rd highest ADG at 4.37 out of 34 bulls on test. He had a full brother that had the highest ADG at 4.51 and was a frame score 6 and a scrotal of 36.5. These calves were raised by commercial cows with no supplementation or creep feed during a drought.

As for his dam, the lightest calf that she has weened was 606 and she has had calves in the 700 + range. one of her dtrs raised the biggest calf that we have had to date at 806.

Tod Dague":3qjjev3x said:
Just a little more info. He is a frame score 5, scrotal 36.5, he had the 3rd highest ADG at 4.37 out of 34 bulls on test. He had a full brother that had the highest ADG at 4.51 and was a frame score 6 and a scrotal of 36.5. These calves were raised by commercial cows with no supplementation or creep feed during a drought.

As for his dam, the lightest calf that she has weened was 606 and she has had calves in the 700 + range. one of her dtrs raised the biggest calf that we have had to date at 806.

Nice calf. REAL nice calf.

how much is a bull like this worth to the people on this board.
what would i expect to pay for an animal like that..cuz im a cheap sucker....

dieselbeef":a0xtfs30 said:
how much is a bull like this worth to the people on this board.
what would i expect to pay for an animal like that..cuz im a cheap sucker....
dieselbeef-

If you have it settled in your mind that regardless of quality, phenotype, or genotype - you are a cheap sucker, and THAT is your focus for beef cattle improvement- you might just as well look elsewhere for the answers to "How Can I Improve My Beef Cattle Herd Quality?". You usually get what you pay for - and this bull is NOT "cheap" quality or "Something for Nothing!". If you are looking for a "cheap" cow freshener bull - - look someplace else! I have seen bulls of this quality this year go under the auctioneer's hammer for $!0,000 and more. It depends who is at the sale, what they need to improve their cows, and what they are looking for to improve their HERD GENETICS! In some sales, this bull could sell for $50,000, and be worth it.

That's NOT cheap! There is 'cheap', and then there is "inexpensive" and "bargain". You never want a cheap bull - the ultimate result will be a "Cheap Herd".

DOC HARRIS