My addiction.

Help Support CattleToday:

We're rotating, grazing the hay meadows, we're not going to make any more hay this year, since we started feeding hay about a month ago on this place it doesn't make sense to pay to bale it when the cows can do it themselves, we don't have enough time to get the growth since we just started getting rain and the nights are starting to cool.
I've been having to force myself to stay away from the sale barns because at the moment we are full.
We're planning on selling 40-50 calves next month and about 20 cows or more.
We're thinking about turning a lot more land into hay fields and make a lot of square bales for sale?
lots of plowing/dragging and hog fencing to do before that will happen.
Son is going to put another 20 acres into orchard grass for next year as the sq bale demand is up and we can make more money on them. A couple of the places are leased land but long term, and no fences or water so not able to graze them... we have put the cows out on places that we can do more grazing and making less hay... many places we are haying only the first cutting off one section of the rotational grazing sections, to utilize the surplus spring growth...
LUCKILY we do not have to deal with the hogs like you do further south. I watch some of the videos that pop up on the hog hunting and the huge numbers of them... cannot even imagine them... at least the da%#@ deer here only graze it off, not dig it up....
I look at a few of the posts that @Caustic Burno puts up of the ones he traps... holy cow....

Son is going to put another 20 acres into orchard grass for next year as the sq bale demand is up and we can make more money on them. A couple of the places are leased land but long term, and no fences or water so not able to graze them... we have put the cows out on places that we can do more grazing and making less hay... many places we are haying only the first cutting off one section of the rotational grazing sections, to utilize the surplus spring growth...
LUCKILY we do not have to deal with the hogs like you do further south. I watch some of the videos that pop up on the hog hunting and the huge numbers of them... cannot even imagine them... at least the da%#@ deer here only graze it off, not dig it up....
I look at a few of the posts that @Caustic Burno puts up of the ones he traps... holy cow....
This place has sandy loam soil with lots of worms, it grows grass like crazy, but the hogs just tear it up, we have to go slow whether on a tractor or a buggy, I hate hogs.
Hog doggers catch some but it's a sport for them, if they were to catch them all I'm sure they would turn more loose.
We catch quite a few in traps, and shoot a few when we can, they are mostly nocturnal in these parts.

Maybe I need to make a trip to visit Australia.... wait, you are married right? Well, he//... nothing wrong with a farmer taking a vacation trip to see another's operation is there ???;);):unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Actually, 15-20 or so years ago, when a guy I knew well, a real southern "good ole boy" dairy farmer that raised show chickens and wanted to do some serious market gardening, and had intentions of a future with to spend our "golden years" together, before he had a heart attack and died; we were talking about where we wanted to go to see something different, and New Zealand was my pick since one of the local guys here in the extension office had gone there to visit some of the grazing dairies and came home with some really awesome pictures and stories....

Besides, I think your accents are kinda sexy.....🫣🫣🤭🤭
Guess that is why this "Yankee" fell for his southern accent...
Don't forget your dirty jeans Jan.

Ken

This place has sandy loam soil with lots of worms, it grows grass like crazy, but the hogs just tear it up, we have to go slow whether on a tractor or a buggy, I hate hogs.
Hog doggers catch some but it's a sport for them, if they were to catch them all I'm sure they would turn more loose.
We catch quite a few in traps, and shoot a few when we can, they are mostly nocturnal in these parts.
The young fella's with dogs here will certainly restock with young ones.

Ken

Australia is on my bucket list!

Never did get to go with my grandfather as he always wanted to as well.
I spent a month and a half in Australia, two months in New Zealand and 10 days in Fiji back in 1989. Was a great trip. Never got to Ken's area though. I think I would like being at 3000 feet elevation there. Nice climate.

Latest posts