My addiction.

Help Support CattleToday:

I am addicted too. I say I am a cowalohlic. I go to meetings twice a week. I raise my hand to admit that I am a cowalholic and a little later the nice people who run the meeting load some cows into my trailer for me.
Thursday they have two rows of cushioned seats. I sit in the front row so I can stretch my legs out. Wednesday they have individual seats with more leg room but no cushions. I see some buyers bring a thick piece of foam rubber.

Cattle auctions were what I called my social life years ago... I went just to go... yes, watched the prices and all... but I just liked going....and the lunch rooms were usually good places to eat...
Guess that didn't make single guys think I was dating material...all their "women" stayed home doing "girl stuff"... but then, most guys there were married so safe to just talk to unless their wives were present.,... then they barely would acknowledge a hello... Geez Louise... most of them I wouldn't have on a silver platter... I liked talking cattle and weather and crops and the state of the world to someone who would voice an honest opinion.... not looking for anything else from a married guy...

Didn't have to get all gussied up either... could go in just decent clothes or go right from the barn working cattle... but I did try to at least have on clean clothes and brushed my teeth and washed my face and combed my hair for the "trip to town".

Last edited:
Stockyards are not as much fun as they were 20 years ago, at least for me. It could be that I am older, but they seem more businesslike and have less "atmosphere".
I sort of miss the pinhookers and the old men whittling under the shade trees.
Still, Friday night head cow sales can bring out the crowd, especially when they are selling good. They are my "night on the town".

Cattle auctions were what I called my social life years ago... I went just to go... yes, watched the prices and all... but I just liked going....and the lunch rooms were usually good places to eat...
Guess that didn't make single guys think I was dating material...all their "women" stayed home doing "girl stuff"... but then, most guys there were married so safe to just talk to unless their wives were present.,... then they barely would acknowledge a hello... Geez Louise... most of them I wouldn't have on a silver platter... I liked talking cattle and weather and crops and the state of the world to someone who would voice an honest opinion.... not looking for anything else from a married guy...

Didn't have to get all gussied up either... could go in just decent clothes or go right from the barn working cattle... but I did try to at least have on clean clothes and brushed my teeth and washed my face and combed my hair for the "trip to town".
Jan to my way of thinking there is nothing more sexy than a girl in dirty jeans.

Ken

They look after you well Dave. At most of the saleyards here the buyers have to follow the auction around the pens. There are some new facilities coming on line that are starting provide seating for the buyers and bringing the cattle to a central ring and grandstand.

Ken
Ours isnt a big sale but the sale ring has cushioned theater seats. Air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter.

Kenny, slow down! We need your wisdom here more than your customers need you!

Jan to my way of thinking there is nothing more sexy than a girl in dirty jeans.

Ken
Where were you when I was a bit younger and wanting a partner/husband????? An EQUAL ??? :unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;);)

Never understood several of my dairy farmers.... they had wives that never even came to the barn... or wouldn't get out of their car when they did... talk about opposites....

Granted the Mennonites all work and help out; but I am not a dresses, and be seen and not heard in mixed company, and and be subservient to the "man of the house" type that their women mostly are...
Probably should've gone further west to find more ranch/farmer types...

Raked, Rolled and hauled hay for 2 days. But sure took its toll. But gonna haul calves early tomorrow so guess im getting better.
I have spent time the last 3 days raking both sorghum and grass hay that we made with the nicer weather, and moved sorghum bales yesterday to get them off the field that is going to be "ripped" to try to then get it ready for seeding and get the ridges worked out of it that have been there forever and a PITA to run over all the time.

We're rotating, grazing the hay meadows, we're not going to make any more hay this year, since we started feeding hay about a month ago on this place it doesn't make sense to pay to bale it when the cows can do it themselves, we don't have enough time to get the growth since we just started getting rain and the nights are starting to cool.
I've been having to force myself to stay away from the sale barns because at the moment we are full.
We're planning on selling 40-50 calves next month and about 20 cows or more.
We're thinking about turning a lot more land into hay fields and make a lot of square bales for sale?
lots of plowing/dragging and hog fencing to do before that will happen.

Where were you when I was a bit younger and wanting a partner/husband????? An EQUAL ??? :unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;);)

Never understood several of my dairy farmers.... they had wives that never even came to the barn... or wouldn't get out of their car when they did... talk about opposites....

Granted the Mennonites all work and help out; but I am not a dresses, and be seen and not heard in mixed company, and and be subservient to the "man of the house" type that their women mostly are...
Probably should've gone further west to find more ranch/farmer types...
Jan, I think we would have got on well together.

Ken

Maybe I need to make a trip to visit Australia.... wait, you are married right? Well, he//... nothing wrong with a farmer taking a vacation trip to see another's operation is there ???;);):unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Actually, 15-20 or so years ago, when a guy I knew well, a real southern "good ole boy" dairy farmer that raised show chickens and wanted to do some serious market gardening, and had intentions of a future with to spend our "golden years" together, before he had a heart attack and died; we were talking about where we wanted to go to see something different, and New Zealand was my pick since one of the local guys here in the extension office had gone there to visit some of the grazing dairies and came home with some really awesome pictures and stories....

Besides, I think your accents are kinda sexy.....🫣🫣🤭🤭
Guess that is why this "Yankee" fell for his southern accent...

Latest posts