My 1st Heifer- Whadduyah Think?

Help Support CattleToday:

She's real cute..good straight top line. I have a polled cow who has be ai'd to pure angus and two calves had horns/scurs..could be scurs..the horns they had never amounted to much...maybe 3-4". Good luck with her. Donna

Richie, she looks to be a nice heifer. Good top-line, seems to have pretty good depth, rear may be a little weak - but that could be the way she is standing or the picture. I don't really like her head, but I tend to prefer more feminine heads on the girls - just my preference. Overall she looks like she will do what you want her to do. Good luck with her! Just my thoughts.

donnaIL":2dr6xwpt said:
She's real cute..good straight top line. I have a polled cow who has be ai'd to pure angus and two calves had horns/scurs..could be scurs..the horns they had never amounted to much...maybe 3-4". Good luck with her. Donna

Lucy?

My comment on dehorning comes from the aspect of her eventually using them on other cows. If she hooks another cow it could cause that cow to abort. I know there is a lot of cows with horns out there but I try to limit them on my place. I only have a few with horns.

It can sometimes be pain getting the horned cows in the chute and caught also. Therefore I save myself from this eventual problem by either not buying or not raising horned stock.

I'm not saying she would use them but you never know so why not get rid of them now before she misses them. ;-)

Rustler9":vk7i27o3 said:
... beat some of these other folks who I highly suspect are doing some cross breeding to win.

can you discuss/explain this more?

Ryan,
What do you mean explain or discuss more? I see cattle in the show ring from time to time that display characteristics other than Longhorn such as double muscled, rear end structuring and of course very minimal horn growth. I'm sure you would have seen this too from time to time as you are involved in show cattle. That's it and that's all.

Rustler9":2fjqk0jr said:
Ryan,
What do you mean explain or discuss more? I see cattle in the show ring from time to time that display characteristics other than Longhorn such as double muscled, rear end structuring and of course very minimal horn growth. I'm sure you would have seen this too from time to time as you are involved in show cattle. That's it and that's all.

I just wanted your opinion on your comment.

I have noticed the characteristics you stated, except double muscling, in the show ring. However, I feel that these animals have been produced through years and years of selection and hard work by the breeders.

I am not saying that crossbreeding hasn't been done. I do not feel that top end cattle are crossbreds though. I know most of the breeders who exhibit the shorter-horned higher-muscled animals and know them to be honest (although some have known to fudge birthdates), hard-working breeders who strive to produce the highest quality cattle they can.

I am sorry if my statements are harsh or something like that. I just tend to take it personally when I hear of people say that the Texas Longhorns I help raise, or ones similar to them, are not real or pure or 100% or whatever Longhorns, b/c they have exceptional bodies and not the extreme horns that people normally expect or think of.

Ryan

Very nice heifer. I also raise Longhorns and I am very pleased with the breed. While some may have the impression that their mean and unruly, I have found them to be gentle, excellent mothers. One of these days I'll figure out how to post pics. :roll:

warpaint":3oe5roo6 said:
One of these days I'll figure out how to post pics. :roll:

Warpaint, at the top of the breeds board is a sticky that explains how to post pictures on the boards.

Ryan,
That's fine but you shouldn't take offense to what I stated-I didn't imply that your cattle aren't pure. I actually have another breeder that is closer to where I live in mind although I can't prove that he crosses them. I just highly suspect that he does. I just know that I would not want to use his bulls on my cattle, they just don't look like a Longhorn and I'm not the only person who says this. I do know that alot of people fudge on birth dates etc. and if I have to do that to win-I'd rather stay home. I cross breed some animals myself but they don't find themselves blending in to my purebred gene pool-to me this hurts the Longhorn breed as it dilutes the bloodline.

The friend that I referred to earlier in this post who has the beautiful cross bred heifer from the baldy cow and the Longhorn bull just told me that the baldy cow was a product of a black Angus bull and a polled Hereford cow. I'm not an expert on horned and polled genetics but that's what the heifer is out of. They were commercial stock so there may possibly be some horned blood in the cows makeup but nevertheless that's what they produced-a beautiful horned heifer that you would be hard pressed to look at as a crossbred.

Rustler9":mhual0uq said:
Ryan,
That's fine but you shouldn't take offense to what I stated-I didn't imply that your cattle aren't pure. I actually have another breeder that is closer to where I live in mind although I can't prove that he crosses them. I just highly suspect that he does. I just know that I would not want to use his bulls on my cattle, they just don't look like a Longhorn and I'm not the only person who says this. I do know that alot of people fudge on birth dates etc. and if I have to do that to win-I'd rather stay home. I cross breed some animals myself but they don't find themselves blending in to my purebred gene pool-to me this hurts the Longhorn breed as it dilutes the bloodline.

I understand you weren't directing it towards me. It is a shame that some people do crossbreed and market/register them as pure. I too would like to get into a little cross breeding, but I would register them as the crossbreds they are and be proud of them.

I do know that alot of people fudge on birth dates etc. and if I have to do that to win-I'd rather stay home
Ditto

....sounds alot like the cattle show circuit is doing to cattle what the dog shows have done to alot of purebred dogs- producing animals that can win ribbons...but who have lost most of the true good traits that their breeds were originally noted for.

I've had nothing but mised-breed dogs all my life....and I think I'll stick with "mutt cows" too. :D

I'm sure learning alot from all you nice people on this board...almost makes up for all my wasted years of city living!

Thanks, everyone!

RichieMaGoo":8fjnfwhr said:
Rustler9":8fjnfwhr said:
RichieMaGoo wrote:

Say....why don't people like Longhorns? I had always thought that they were very efficient at bulking up on grass?

Most folks nowadays are totally against horns, Longhorns generally aren't as beefy as other beef breeds (although the beef is much healthier) and they get docked at the sale barn because of the horns and color. They do come in black but don't fit in the mold that today's buyers and feeders are looking for. I always think to myself that instead of getting docked for being leaner and healthier beef that they should be demanding a premium but then again I'm a Longhorn breeder.

They are very efficient foragers, cross very well with other breeds, low birth weights. These are some of the pros of the breed. Plus they are great to look at.

Wow! Sounds like everything I'm looking for in a cow! I've always been kinda keen on Longhorns myself- and wondered why they are rarely seen in this neck of the woods (There's one guy about 15 miles from me who has a big herd of 'em).

I knew that they docked because of the color- that's why my neighbor was selling her- he has mostly pure Angus's, and only wants cows that'll throw all-black calves.

Oh...and her mommy and daddy were both Angus/Longhorn crosses too- I guess that explains the horns. Her grand-daddy (who llives across the street) is purebred Angus.

Thanks for the info! I'm really happy now with my decision to buy her as my "personal" cow (as opposed to wanting her for money-making)- I'm really convinced now that she is exactly what I was looking for! (I'll stick with the Holstein steers for money-making...as I make more off of them than my neighbors do with their beefs!)
Mommy and daddy? :shock:

Latest posts