"Must have" tools?

Help Support CattleToday:

DamonH

Reaction score
What tools do you use that you consider "must have's" for someone working cattle? I'm trying to come up with Christmas ideas for my Dad who just got back into farming and is pretty much starting from scratch. He's got 19 head, plenty of land, food, and a tractor, but just looking for further ideas.

Cattle software? (Cattlemax?)
Hay Rings?
Calf pullers/chains?
Syringes/medical kit/etc?

Obviously it'd be nice to buy him a squeeze chute or something of the like but that's a little out of the budget.

Hopefully he skips over this thread if he happens to check the forums. :)

-Damon

i would buy him 2 or 3 hay rings.he will love the cows not wasting hay.as well as not having to put hay out alot.

Get him a "gift card" or credit balance at the local farm supply store.

Out of your list: calf puller/chains; hopefully he will never use but if you don't have and need to run around trying to find; you'll understand

If he does not have one a multi tool like a Leatherman or Gerber are handy items.

Us cranky old farts usually like to buy what we need when we need it....I have a shed full of well meaning "stuff" that has been given to me over the years. Get him a gift card at the co-op...or a nice card good for a day's labor. I am greatfull for all the help I can get when I have serious work to be done and when I can get son-in-law to help out it is worth more than a tool that I didn't want anyway.
And that's my two bits worth....asked for or not DMc

DamonH":9km1h16i said:
What tools do you use that you consider "must have's" for someone working cattle?
-Damon

The only "must haves" is help in difficult situations. Most everything else can be winged if one has the imagination and drive to do it. If I were you, I would put together a coupon booklet that in redeemable for help in any conceivable situation on the farm. I would imagine that would mean far more to your dad that any tool!

Susie David":1et5fjzw said:
Us cranky old farts usually like to buy what we need when we need it....I have a shed full of well meaning "stuff" that has been given to me over the years. Get him a gift card at the co-op...or a nice card good for a day's labor. I am greatfull for all the help I can get when I have serious work to be done and when I can get son-in-law to help out it is worth more than a tool that I didn't want anyway.
And that's my two bits worth....asked for or not DMc
Very good point.
Unless you know what he wants, don't buy it.

Buy him a bander and make him promise to band every bull calf till he knows that he knows what he is doing.

If he doesn't own a golden rod, buy him a really good one. One that has teeth like a rigid pipe wrench.

Fence stretcher, fence pliers, leatherman, depending on your weather, some cold weather work clothes like insulated coveralls, warm hat or gloves. Personally, I think fence pliers are a great gift. I can wear out a pair per year, and lose a couple more.

Latest posts