"Must have" tools?

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":1dbr4v2e said:
DamonH":1dbr4v2e said:
What tools do you use that you consider "must have's" for someone working cattle?
-Damon

The only "must haves" is help in difficult situations. Most everything else can be winged if one has the imagination and drive to do it. If I were you, I would put together a coupon booklet that in redeemable for help in any conceivable situation on the farm. I would imagine that would mean far more to your dad that any tool!
I like the coupon book idea! Gonna put that on my list this year, since my next several weeks have me impaired.... :|

Help him build good handling facilities. A head gate is cheaper than a whole chute, you can build the rest w/ boards (and the head gate for that matter). Anything else can be bought or borrowed in a pinch. Lots of state extension services have plans online. Nothing is more dangerous or a pain in the tuckus than bad/no handling facilities.

DamonH":2hxx9utw said:
What tools do you use that you consider "must have's" for someone working cattle? I'm trying to come up with Christmas ideas for my Dad who just got back into farming and is pretty much starting from scratch. He's got 19 head, plenty of land, food, and a tractor, but just looking for further ideas.

Cattle software? (Cattlemax?)
Hay Rings?
Calf pullers/chains?
Syringes/medical kit/etc?

Obviously it'd be nice to buy him a squeeze chute or something of the like but that's a little out of the budget.

Hopefully he skips over this thread if he happens to check the forums. :)

-Damon

I'd go with the calf puller/chains. Ours has been used more by the nighbors than by us, but one can make a difference in whether you get a live calf or not. Perhaps a subscription to an industry magazine like Dovers?

Binoculars, camera, record book, show stick for working cattle, emergency medical bag for him and cattle, flashlight, rubber boots, coveralls, new hat/cap, work shirt, or my favorite a carton of beer in a cooler.

Latest posts