Muscovy Duck

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
Looked out this morning and saw a Male Muscovy Duck in front of the shop. First one I have seen. Period. I know birds pretty well but this one caught me off guard. I looked it up. Must be one that has gone feral from a farm.

The strange, warty-faced Muscovy Duck causes confusion for some bird watchers, as it's very distinctive and quite commonly seen, yet does not appear in some field guides. Truly wild individuals are restricted to south Texas and points south, but domesticated versions occur in parks and farms across much of North America. Wild Muscovy Ducks are glossy black with bold white wing patches and are forest dwellers that nest in tree cavities. Their range expanded into Texas in the 1980s; feral populations also exist in Florida.

I would have to assume it's probably a young drake that's been ran out of the flock by the more mature guys. That's about the only way they will leave their flock.

Stocker Steve":1xa8sr2t said:
I assume they don't migrate, and so they need to stay away from ice ?

Yes. Not a duck that inhabits more northern environments. I got a couple pictures on my camera. Will put the up later. I have never seen a Muscovy Duck in this area.

In La you'll see em like a dog outside the back porch all over the country. Sometimes they come up missing between Thansgiving and Christmas :)

Kingfisher":3or4et2q said:
In La you'll see em like a dog outside the back porch all over the country. Sometimes they come up missing between Thansgiving and Christmas :)

They come in a wide variety of color variations. Especially, the domestic ones.

Are they good to eat? They are big!

Latest posts