Crappie Fishing and Duck Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Warm days still chasing the bass up river with my neighbor.
See a few die hard bass guys any thing else on the water has a duck call for bait.
It is close and easy 15 minutes we are on the water

I have a friend with a lake blind. He prays the crappie fishing stays slow til season is out, except for days the duck hunting is slow, then he's casting from the blind.
Other than making time when the ducks are in the woods good, my duck hunting and crappie fishing has suffered badly since taking on cattle. Too much to do. But it keeps me out of trouble.

The crappie started to bite better last weekend. Starting to catch more than one keeper per spot now with the water cooling off. This weekend could be a different story though.

We went Crappie fishing this weekend on Birdsong Creek, which is part of Kentucky Lake. The fish finder showed a lot of fish in the channel of the creek, and we caught a few, but not enough to make it a great fishing day. But I still enjoyed the time spent out on the lake. It was so cold that the geese and ducks were there. We caught only one 10.5" Crappie, and the others were too small to keep. Caught a few striped bass and a real big shiny Shad. The wind had picked up and it made for a night of water motion sickness after getting out of the boat for the night. So much rippling and twisting and turning fighting the wind. Just when I think I won't suffer from the water motion again, here it comes. I guess that goes with old age eh? :lol2:
No matter what, I still have a good time on the water if we don't catch much. We stayed in the main channels away from the hunters, but we only saw two in the blinds and not a single shot was fired Saturday.

Chuckie":2ijosulv said:
We went Crappie fishing this weekend on Birdsong Creek, which is part of Kentucky Lake. The fish finder showed a lot of fish in the channel of the creek, and we caught a few, but not enough to make it a great fishing day. But I still enjoyed the time spent out on the lake. It was so cold that the geese and ducks were there. We caught only one 10.5" Crappie, and the others were too small to keep. Caught a few striped bass and a real big shiny Shad. The wind had picked up and it made for a night of water motion sickness after getting out of the boat for the night. So much rippling and twisting and turning fighting the wind. Just when I think I won't suffer from the water motion again, here it comes. I guess that goes with old age eh? :lol2:
No matter what, I still have a good time on the water if we don't catch much. We stayed in the main channels away from the hunters, but we only saw two in the blinds and not a single shot was fired Saturday.

Thanks for the report. Keep getting out and enjoying the Universe.

Went crappie fishing on Lake of the Ozarks on Friday and Saturday. Must have caught over 100 both days. Was a great weekend. Wish the bow hunting would have been better.

In the past I have tied a hook and line to a duck decoy and baited it with a worm. The decoy starts swimming around and you know that you have a fish on. That way I was fishing and duck hunting at the same time.

Dave":23bmkiis said:
In the past I have tied a hook and line to a duck decoy and baited it with a worm. The decoy starts swimming around and you know that you have a fish on.

Motion decoys are not legal here during parts of the season.

Stocker Steve":3aphxvlg said:
Dave":3aphxvlg said:
In the past I have tied a hook and line to a duck decoy and baited it with a worm. The decoy starts swimming around and you know that you have a fish on.

Motion decoys are not legal here during parts of the season.

Motorized decoys are illegal here. Although manually operated motion decoys are legal. But it is probably against the law to fish off the back end of a decoy.

It was in the low 40's* and the wind had picked up to make a good ripple wake. It was on the verge of being miserable, but we stayed out. We were fishing with minnows about a foot from the bottom of the lake; and the fish finder showed a lot of fish under the boat. They were slow to bite and often it felt as if something was tugging on the bait, but not taking a good hard bite.

I think Bream are the best tasting fish. I cannot wait until this spring when they start biting.

Unrelated to the topic but a shared passion.
Ive started fishing more from my kayak and didn't even put the boat in the water this summer.
Just some pics for fun

Latest posts