Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Agree. These were nice crossbred w horns. They brought real good money.
The other guys were willing to give much more than me. They weighed 400 plus and brought over 1000. I would've went 800.

The lil cow was 1025

I feel like she was the bargain today

I agree....thinking she might be jersey/hereford and some red holstein or guernsey in her... 90% of the jersey holstein crosses are black and white with more "spotting" on the legs as opposed to the normal holstein larger splotches of white...and most are more black over the body than much white... most all brown swiss x holsteins are chocolate dark brown or blackish and usually do not have any white on them....
I have never had a jersey/hereford cross so she might just be that... she has the "jersey type" look to her head... not a holstein head.

Glad you got such good money for the cows... sorta sorry you cut so far back but this still might have been the very smartest idea... I am going to take a hard look at cows this spring... I think prices may be pretty good after the worst of the winter is done... I do have 2 that will probably be shipped after they raise this calf... they are getting old and both had just mediocre calves last year. They would have probably gone then but were pregnant right along with the rest so they got a respite... Got one now that is going when we get them moved home...she was open so got put out with a late calf that has some size to it now... no bull in that pasture, so she has put on weight and is in good condition and the calf looks good also. There are a couple of steers in there with her also for beef.
That Herf x Guernsey cow we got looks just like Murray's, only the same red color around her eyes as the rest of her body.

Still waiting.
Shes REALLY bagging up now! The pics don't do her justice. Much more and her holstein is really gonna show!
20231220_163941.jpg
20231220_163953.jpg
I bought this big ol soggy gal today!
7x4
Touch of ear as well. This is the kind!
20231220_163511.jpg20231220_163515.jpg20231220_162628.jpg
This 9x5 is pretty ok. Not near as nice as the previous cow tho.
20231220_163337.jpg
And a red 4x4+
Shes pretty bashful.
20231220_163432.jpg
Think I averaged 1300 or so.
I'll check back in later...

@TCRanch in the next to last pic u can see her bag pooching out between her rear legs!
🤣

She been walking around with her dang tail up for days now. Driving me crazy!

O! Probly should've but I didn't. Passed on a 120lb holstein bull calf today for 50 bucks. The only other bottle baby went for 380 bucks and she was a dinky lil heifer.

I tell everyone them dairy calves are cheap. They still be worth 50 bucks 3 months from now too

@TCRanch in the next to last pic u can see her bag pooching out between her rear legs!
🤣

She been walking around with her dang tail up for days now. Driving me crazy!

O! Probly should've but I didn't. Passed on a 120lb holstein bull calf today for 50 bucks. The only other bottle baby went for 380 bucks and she was a dinky lil heifer.
$50 for a Holstein?? They're $150 and up straight from the farm around here...

I tell everyone them dairy calves are cheap. They still be worth 50 bucks 3 months from now too
[/QUOTe

WOW, they have holstein feeder sales an hour north of here due to all the dairies and the number of bull/steer calves being raised. I haven't been in a month, and my one farmer sold all his in Oct. 1050 lbs for $1.79. When my cow calved the cheapest calf I could find was $150... he has turned out to be a good one but was a little spindly when I got him. That was 6 weeks ago and all the others were $250 plus for holsteins and $4-500 for black hol/beef crosses. Glad I don't need any more.

I noticed you were quite a distance. Smart. Play it safe.
Calf looks great. Did you get close enough to tell sex?
By the time I got across the creek without boots to get a pic or two the cows had all showed up.
I was certain as long as she was taking it was gonna be a bull. But I didn't see any nutz. It is pretty cool right now. And it did not pee while I was there. I'll find out this weekend when I get em up to feed and tag it

Latest posts