Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Will you keep them after they calve? or will they go to the sale barn?
Well.....
I sure ain't decided. I do like this type cow. Honestly I wouldn't mind a bunch of em. But if I keep em, I'll have to get a bull. A GOOD bull.

Somehow I've went from cow/calf to trader in short order. Guess I've always done a bit of trading anyway

Well.....
I sure ain't decided. I do like this type cow. Honestly I wouldn't mind a bunch of em. But if I keep em, I'll have to get a bull. A GOOD bull.

Somehow I've went from cow/calf to trader in short order. Guess I've always done a bit of trading anyway
I've seen you take some d**n poor animals and turn them into decent looking cattle. That's a lot better than some traders I've been around.

Well.....

Now you are talking! Another way to look at it is you went from a whole lot of work for little to no profit, to little or no work for a whole lot of profit. Every day, there is someone, some where, that is about to lose their house, farm, and/or life's savings due to the cow/calf business, and wanting out. And every day, there is someone with money looking to get in to the cow/calf business. I make a lot of money, helping the one to get out, and the other to get in. Like you did with those you sold yesterday. Did you ever get a chance to talk to the neighbor with those black Corr cows and the brangus looking bull? The ones on the corn field stubble that you said had an electric wire to keep them off of some new wheat? I got a hunch about those. And my hunches are usually about half right 50% of the time!

Now you are talking! Another way to look at it is you went from a whole lot of work for little to no profit, to little or no work for a whole lot of profit. Every day, there is someone, some where, that is about to lose their house, farm, and/or life's savings due to the cow/calf business, and wanting out. And every day, there is someone with money looking to get in to the cow/calf business. I make a lot of money, helping the one to get out, and the other to get in. Like you did with those you sold yesterday. Did you ever get a chance to talk to the neighbor with those black Corr cows and the brangus looking bull? The ones on the corn field stubble that you said had an electric wire to keep them off of some new wheat? I got a hunch about those. And my hunches are usually about half right 50% of the time!
Not real sure who's they are!
I think it's actually milo/grain sorghum stubble tho. I think the place may be leased to someone other than the guy who farms it. I'm not real terrible interested in any of those. But they sold a group of em Thursday that did real well. Heavy bred heifers for like 1200 bucks. They were also selling bottle calves for 500!! I couldn't believe it.
They sold a lil runty looking heifer baby for 400 also.

Made an easy 500 or so on the young pair I took the horns off of. Somewhere there's a pic or two. De-horned her and the other ones calf. They both made some real money for no longer than I had them.

Not real sure who's they are!
I think it's actually milo/grain sorghum stubble tho. I think the place may be leased to someone other than the guy who farms it. I'm not real terrible interested in any of those. But they sold a group of em Thursday that did real well. Heavy bred heifers for like 1200 bucks. They were also selling bottle calves for 500!! I couldn't believe it.
They sold a lil runty looking heifer baby for 400 also.

Made an easy 500 or so on the young pair I took the horns off of. Somewhere there's a pic or two. De-horned her and the other ones calf. They both made some real money for no longer than I had them.
Corriente bred heifers brought $1200?!!

Yeessir!

Still waiting on market report.
The market for mamas there must be alot better than here with the prices your cows sold for and the prices those corrientes are bringing and I'm not too far east of you. You seen my thread where I bought the thin pairs, that day it would've had to been a real good pair to bring over $1500.

Where is this sale again? At those prices I could afford to carry a trailer load there and make $900 a head! Wonder what they were bred to?

If I had more time on my hands I would gather up some here and take there and re-sell.
Well guys. It was a special sale at Enid. I've NEVER seen em bring that much EVER. I think there was 6 or so of em.
I'm hoping they put some highlight reels up on the fb.

There was no mention of what they were bred to. If there was, I missed it. Wasn't terribly interested in em especially when they started em at 800 or whatever it was.

The 500 dollar bottle calves too.

I was honestly flabbergasted!

Edited to add..
They just posted the 3n1 pairs that sold at 3400

Last edited:
They just posted the 3n1 pairs that sold at 3400
I've never seen calves that big that didn't get split off from the cows to be sold by themselves. Well... maybe not never, but I don't remember if I did see it.

I keep thinking there is some Jersey in her ancestry too.
I agree....thinking she might be jersey/hereford and some red holstein or guernsey in her... 90% of the jersey holstein crosses are black and white with more "spotting" on the legs as opposed to the normal holstein larger splotches of white...and most are more black over the body than much white... most all brown swiss x holsteins are chocolate dark brown or blackish and usually do not have any white on them....
I have never had a jersey/hereford cross so she might just be that... she has the "jersey type" look to her head... not a holstein head.

Glad you got such good money for the cows... sorta sorry you cut so far back but this still might have been the very smartest idea... I am going to take a hard look at cows this spring... I think prices may be pretty good after the worst of the winter is done... I do have 2 that will probably be shipped after they raise this calf... they are getting old and both had just mediocre calves last year. They would have probably gone then but were pregnant right along with the rest so they got a respite... Got one now that is going when we get them moved home...she was open so got put out with a late calf that has some size to it now... no bull in that pasture, so she has put on weight and is in good condition and the calf looks good also. There are a couple of steers in there with her also for beef.

Standing here looking at 3 solid colored longhorn cross bull calves. Unweaned.

Thinking how I'd love to use my new de-horners and bander and make a few bucks...

Edit...
Brindle been walking around with her tail up this morning. I'll check again tmrw.

Last edited:
You check again in a couple hours…..
Think I will!
Right after I get these lil critters bought/stolen.... 😆

Edited to add...
Still no calf.
They did NOT give away the longhorn cross calves.
But I bought a nice little 4x4 black cow!
20231216_143330.jpg

Last edited:
When prices are high, you don't want to buy the poorest calves. They aren't discounted enough. If you can buy horns and nuts on good to medium calves at 30 cents to a dollar under what they are worth as steers you can do pretty good. Every sale has undervalued cattle in it.

Latest posts