Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

By the time I got across the creek without boots to get a pic or two the cows had all showed up.
I was certain as long as she was taking it was gonna be a bull. But I didn't see any nutz. It is pretty cool right now. And it did not pee while I was there. I'll find out this weekend when I get em up to feed and tag it
Looks like a heifer to me. I sure like brockle faced calves. Especially the ones with eye makeup.

Well, I've thought about making a seperate thread for this gal. But we will just run with it here I reckon. I can only hope she turns out as good as Bessie.
It took a bit to get the new big black heifer to suck. She had not nursed since about 1 pm yesterday, so I know she was hungry. About 18 hrs or so without a meal.
Once I got mama fed and occupied I got dangerously close to this unknown cows kicking end..... tug tug. Squirt. Squirt. Whew. No issues there. And not a kick at all from her!!
Got the calf going!
She has raised a leg at the calf a time or two but no real kicking. She's also shoved the new calf a time or two. We will see how it goes. Give em a few days.
20240105_074042.jpg
Bessie offering encouragement. Not sure if she encouraging me or the new cow!! 🤔
Gotta say, I was more than a bit skeptical. This girl has been at the lease place without regular interaction like here at home. All she knows is when my truck shows up, she gets feed...
20240105_074024.jpg
20240105_074254.jpg
We've had some overnight rain and it's made for a mess trying to work with these girls.
20240105_074752.jpg
Calf is back in the trailer til this evening. She nursed until she had enough and went nosing around. Don't want her escaping my ramshackle pen. More kool stuff tonight.
20240105_073158.jpg

Did you have another calve, and lose the calf, and put one of Java's calves over on it?
We had another set of twins - both born dead. So, stole Java's freemartin and took a few hours, but new cow is loving her new baby. Plan to turn them out tomorrow - in a different winter lot than where Java is.

Latest posts