Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Give that new "crazy" one a buddy that is weaned and tame... No herd animal, especially crazy ones, like to be alone.... not only did it get taken out of it's comfort zone, away from everything it knows, but now you have it in solitary confinement so not even able to reassure it's self that it has any friend....and across the fence contact is not the same as having another one to "hide behind" and it will learn that you are not a monster if the other calf is calm around you....

He dern sure does look like a good one!
You might consider getting a homo for black solid black bull. You have a Hereford or two, and some other wf cows, and that might satisfy your wf cravings with a baldy calf or two, using a bull like this. . Even if you get a homo for black BWF SImm, or even a homo for black Black Hereford, some of those cows might throw calves with too much white. Just a thought.

Give that new "crazy" one a buddy that is weaned and tame... No herd animal, especially crazy ones, like to be alone.... not only did it get taken out of it's comfort zone, away from everything it knows, but now you have it in solitary confinement so not even able to reassure it's self that it has any friend....and across the fence contact is not the same as having another one to "hide behind" and it will learn that you are not a monster if the other calf is calm around you....
Exactly what I did!
Shes in with the skinny lil heifer. I released her from the trailer against my better judgment. I can't get a pic yet. She runs like a deer at the sight of me. But she hasn't escaped!

I'll feed her a while so she can see I'm not a big scary MONSTER! 🤣

On a scale of one to 10 for being nutty, she's about an 8 or 9 now. Was an 11
Still not eating with skinny heifer but she sometimes stands on alert rather than "OH SHNITZ! I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!"

Between her, and I'm sure it was mostly her, and the skinny one, they ate 4 flakes of hay thru the day. Gave em 4 more tonight. If she will quit jumping in and outta the feed bunk, that'll help too! Ain't much on the ground. I think she decided the premium Bermuda is OK!

Edited to add...
we've got a bit of rain making their little spot all muddy!!
They can still get in the trailer to lay down where it's somewhat dry tho.
20231120_180402.jpg

Last edited:
Got to go feed the girls their Thanksgiving treats today.
Red is coming along. Maybe it's just the winter hair! Her lil steer is doing OK too. Not top quality but he's healthy and growing.
20231123_160509.jpg
20231123_160814.jpg
He comes running for feed EVERY time. Mamas milk is marginal I guess.
20231123_160514.jpg
Hereford heifer and cow...
The calf seems to have kicked her cough. She got hit with Baytril before turnout. But seems to be healthy otherwise.
20231123_160708.jpg20231123_160533.jpg
This lil heifer had to stop nursing long enough to check me out. 😆
This cow is out of my very first cow. Her 2nd daughter.
20231123_160608.jpg
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Latest posts