Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

It has a good ring to it: Murray's Mini Mutts, LLC 🤠🤠 next thing you know, you will be wearing $500 cowboy boots without a speck a dust and then complaining the cows actually 💩💩 in the trailer! (Bro in law literally made a comment about his trailer being messy after moving a load of calves and there were now dents in his trailer🤦‍♂️)

I think I missed it when I talked to the guy. This heifer belongs to this cow. How do I know you say??
Well, 500lb calf nursing it's 705lb mother gave it away.
Heifer will be pulled and weaned soon as I can get em caught.
Sheesh!
20230913_172758.jpg
The new pair is doing swimmingly well!
Mama knows how to eat. Seems perfectly healthy aside from malnourished. And calf is a lil spitfire!
20230913_172317.jpg

Last edited:
My lil baldy re-sell heifer is coming along OK on grass. Tho not near as good as my brahma cross heifer. It'll be interesting to see which one makes more of a profit. I'll update this thread and the brahma cross thread when I sell em. No pics of the brahma cross! Shes gonna be a huge surprise when I post pics of her in the other thread. She has REALLY GROWN!
This baldy is really a pretty nice lil heifer but I only bought her to re-sell. She's a bit skittish but not terribly so.
View attachment 33454
View attachment 33455
I'm not sure if I've posted this economy pair I bought or not. She ain't much of a cow but she is raising her heifer calf pretty decent. She is a 5 year old. Out of sequence for calving at this place but I didn't have room for her at home. No bull there. So she will be open most likely when I sell her.
View attachment 33456View attachment 33457
Gonna update the my girls thread. It'll have a couple pics of 2 heifers I'm keeping!
O yeah! Here's a quick pic of the holstien cross too. She is finally coming for feed with everyone else. I'm sure she come along when winter sets in and they get on the regular feeding schedule. For now they just get a bite every now and then.
View attachment 33462
I've already updated in the brahma cross thread about the lil baldy heifer.
But the Pair I gave 1300 for raised a pretty nice black heifer on grass thru the summer and the cow put condition back on pretty nicely.
Each brought over 1000

This stuff is a lot of work, but the return on my projects this time around has been phenomenal!

I've still got the brindle/holstein cross cow. She was short bred. Should calve about December or so. It'll be a fun surprise! I've had brindle cows give me black calves bred to a black bull. Red calves bred to a hereford. Who knows what she is bred to. It'll be alright!

The 2 new pair nursing them babies!
And a 3rd unidentified pair too. 😆
20231014_100030.jpg
Heres that red pair. I don't know if she's putting any condition on or not. We will see if the grass will help her out, instead of hay and feed. Left her calf a bull as I didn't wanna stress him any more. Mamas milk is marginal. He grazes some already.
Shes doing the best she can...
20231014_095741.jpg

Picked this heifer up today. She came in the ring with a snotty nose and her head down.
Gave half price for her!
Went to check on her mid-sale, snot was gone and head up and eyes clear. Hmmmmm.
Vet hit her with something anyway.
425lbs for 656 bucks. I like her already!
View attachment 36040
You bring up something that is part of the reason for antibiotic rules. You said the vet gave her "something". Actually if you own her and even if the vet gave the med you are not only supposed to know what it is but actually keep a record of it.

You bring up something that is part of the reason for antibiotic rules. You said the vet gave her "something". Actually if you own her and even if the vet gave the med you are not only supposed to know what it is but actually keep a record of it.
O yes.
I believe a generic baytril.
Gotta hold her a while before I can flip her for sure. That's the only bad thing about it is the withdrawal times

Another reason to know exactly what it was. And reason to keep records.
It will probably not happen but now with having to have a vet to prescribe meds they could potentially check your records and note correct dosage and withdrawal times. They will know you have the med so its fair game for them. Sounds crazy but think of all the crazy stuff from the past.

I have and will continue to purchase all my meds thru my vet. They have a "drop ship" service - it's cheaper and faster for me. And, yes, I keep records of all vaccinations and treatments. So, I'm lucky that the new ruling does not affect me - so far!!!
You just have to wonder how much more control will be coming up.

This one seems healthy but weak/malnourished. 145lbs. Should be well over 200. I gave less money than a bottle calf for her!
Had a whole bag of calf starter and small bag of calf mana on hand. I'll feed her that and start her with some 14% creep afterwards.
I'm going to consult with my vet, but I don't think she needs any meds. (Tho weather is crazy right now!) VERY thankful for the rains.
20231025_174813.jpg

This one seems healthy but weak/malnourished. 145lbs. Should be well over 200. I gave less money than a bottle calf for her!
Had a whole bag of calf starter and small bag of calf mana on hand. I'll feed her that and start her with some 14% creep afterwards.
I'm going to consult with my vet, but I don't think she needs any meds. (Tho weather is crazy right now!) VERY thankful for the rains.
View attachment 36331
Sorry Murray, but some calves aren't just starved... they are sickly. Watch this one carefully for pneumonia.

Sad, but sometimes when they are deprived a momma, they just don't get a good enough start that they never seem to catch up.... I hope she will come around for you, but by waiting so long for the guy to sell her, her development may just be too stunted. Had one of them that the cow just didn't have enough milk, calf never could get a start with having access to the creep feeder and all and still on the cow... cow was bought, pregnant... and very high headed... so calf was not friendly, took months to get it to learn to come in with the other calves... finally caught them both in one day when I fed some feed in catch pen needing someone else, and they got shipped...

Appreciate it guys.
That's what I like about the little sale on Saturday. Everyone pretty much knows everyone. He sold a bunch of bigger calves too. All seemed healthy. Why he didn't catch that little fart when mama died is beyond me. Her rumen is very active. BIG poops!! 🤣

Fingers 🤞

Did you worm that calf? How is she looking today?
I need to do that!
I've been monitoring her and feeding her very well. No drugs yet.
It's pretty dark. I'll see if I can get a pic.
Here we go. She eats good. Seems a bit weak still but comes running for feed now. Can't seem to get her eyes to quit watering tho. A touch of white discharge from eyes in the mornings as well.
I've cleaned pen out really good today.
20231112_180100.jpg20231112_180434.jpg
20231112_180740.jpg

Latest posts