Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Watch her manure... if watery/squirty she may have Johnes and that is something you need to get rid of yesterday... no cures... stress and other things can trigger it to become active... and she could just be real wormy and need some TLC.... Keep her quarantined for a bit for safety's sake...
No messy butt! Will be seperate for a bit tho.
You might drop a magnet in her also but she looks like she is just hungry.
Yep. The other pair was just as poor but that cow was HOT. Drooling. Etc. I let her go by

Funny bit.
Buddy went to pick everyone up today and couldn't believe how gentle she is. Literally had to push her around to move her. 🤣
Sounds like my kind!

If they were both thin then it is likely they are wormy and need feed... you are good at that sort... BUT... just don't want you to get in trouble with a cow that may infect your ground and cause unknown heartache down the road...
Glad she seems dog gentle... Lots of hay for 24 hours... then start the magic slow feeding and get her looking good!!!!

I bought this young little beefmaster looking cow last fall as the drought was winding down. She weighed 580 lbs coming out of the sale barn20230720_183806.jpg and was feeding a couple month old calf. Skin and bones. A embarrassment to put in the field next to the road. I showed a picture of her to J+Cattle and he said it would take until next summer for her to fill out. I wormed her and gave her multi-min and she got a shine to her coat but stayed thin while nursing the calf. The calf was nice and I weaned it a little bit early and it went on to sell for about 150% of what I payed for the pair. She finally started getting into shape with no calf and the spring flush of grass. By mid-summer she looked pretty good. J+ was right. It took some time. She is still a smallish in size but very gentle. It was strange that someone had gone through the trouble to put a primis tag on her and then starve her. I hope she calves this winter.

Well. I didn't try the hugs. She giving me the side eye.
But she eats well. Knows just what to do!
Found the water too!
She has a gentle soul...
20230908_181937.jpg
When I got home she was laying in the shade chewing cud. Lil bull was exploring a bit. Red cows and black calves always crack me up for some reason. I know how it happens!! But it just makes no sense for me. 20230908_171133.jpg20230908_171058.jpg

Someone took a beating I imagine
Only thing that sold for less than .75 cents except some cripples.

I left at 830pm.
They sold the last calf at 930pm-ish
My buddy is still there trying to get some cows bought! And they have at LEAST 200 cows still

Edited to add...
These 2 are like puppy dogs. So easy to get/be around!
The 2 mini herefords are both halter broke!

Edited again!
Just got an update. 1703 calves sold in about 10 hours! What a long day for them boys in Pawnee Oklahoma!

Last edited:
Only thing that sold for less than .75 cents except some cripples.

I left at 830pm.
They sold the last calf at 930pm-ish
My buddy is still there trying to get some cows bought! And they have at LEAST 200 cows still

Edited to add...
These 2 are like puppy dogs. So easy to get/be around!
The 2 mini herefords are both halter broke!

Edited again!
Just got an update. 1703 calves sold in about 10 hours! What a long day for them boys in Pawnee Oklahoma!
So you got all the smalls? You'll like the way those low lines finish-tasty buggers, with the "right size" for steaks-a good moderate meal.

I'd have bought them. At the price of hamburger they would have made some cheap.

So you got all the smalls? You'll like the way those low lines finish-tasty buggers, with the "right size" for steaks-a good moderate meal.
I'll update as I figure it out. If I can get another lease place secured, the beltie, and the 2 hereford minis will be bred back next year to one of the lowline angus bulls.

I had actually planned on eating the mini hereford heifer this next spring! Then I went to the 2nd sale...

I'll update as I figure it out. If I can get another lease place secured, the beltie, and the 2 hereford minis will be bred back next year to one of the lowline angus bulls.

I had actually planned on eating the mini hereford heifer this next spring! Then I went to the 2nd sale...
If those two bull calves aren't super small bloodlines, they can grow fairly nicely-the really small ones are kind of more for the novelty market. This is a 62% Lowline baldie heifer we got in trade for a 75% bull calf. She's gonna make a thick cow

Attachments

• 5926716D-8A14-407B-8B10-D8E35C0A7855.png
    5926716D-8A14-407B-8B10-D8E35C0A7855.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
Ya like that @Travlr ??

Mini baldies!!

Don't laugh too hard.
These 2 brought 1000 bucks today. The auctioneer said I'm at 2 bucks no cheaper. He bought em!
On either side of the ugly broken bull.
View attachment 34804
I was at the auction a couple weeks ago and they did they same thing with a Corriente pair. They weren't getting a bid at $600 and the barn bought them, saying the calf was worth $400. Fine by me. I'd have started the bidding at $450 and might have gone to $550 but six was a little steep.

I was at the auction a couple weeks ago and they did they same thing with a Corriente pair. They weren't getting a bid at $600 and the barn bought them, saying the calf was worth $400. Fine by me. I'd have started the bidding at $450 and might have gone to $550 but six was a little steep.
He did NOT try that with the horned one I bought. He just kept backing up!
🤣🤣🤣

I think he was scared of the horns. He didn't know they were all halter broke. I got ALL the info on these critters before the sale!

Latest posts