Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Re the photo of cow and calf. (18 Aug 2022) That is art. The way the calf is centered on the mother and the mirror like pose
reflects on great camera work, Background the picture in a solid color (I think) and hang it on the wall. Done right you will never
be sorry. (At least whoever sells the picture down the road for more than the pair were worth won't be....)

I don't guess I ever posted what happened to Mouse and Minnie. They got flipped pretty quickly. Anyway.....
Here's Sugar and her heifer Spice!
Sold Snowball and her great big heifer, the heifer was that instigator to calf escapes (had no hesitation for a hot wire)
The calf on the left is Daughter of the one that wears the hat. Full sister to the heifer I have by Richard, my mutt brangus. (Only cow to have two calves by him before I sold him) Her sister is about to get a visit from Big Sexy with the others at my leased pasture....
20221218_093036.jpg

I had a set of twin heifers named Sugar & Spice. Sold Sugar as a 2 yr old cow/calf pair. Spice spit out a set of twins Sept/2021 at 15 years of age. Raised both calves thru the winter, but did not settle, so at age of 16 I culled her. If she had been younger and raised a set of fall calves and came up open, I probably would have bred her for spring, but not at 16.

New kid!
Shes feisty!
I was gonna test my weaning area, but I think I'll let her settle in the trailer a day or 3. I don't think she's EVER seen a human until yesterday. She wants to run as far away from human as possible! 🤣 They split her off her old, open mama. She weighs 350lbs flat. Bought for much less than I sold my heifers at. Tried to buy mama but cows is still too high! The pair would've been over 1600. Cows are still in high demand for slaughter. I've noticed open ones are a bit higher for slaughter as well.
And she's an escape artist. That's why they were there. Nice lil heifer tho really. I'll carry some feed to her for a bit and see if she settles down some.
Should be interesting!
20230514_090159.jpg

New kid!
Shes feisty!
I was gonna test my weaning area, but I think I'll let her settle in the trailer a day or 3. I don't think she's EVER seen a human until yesterday. She wants to run as far away from human as possible! 🤣 They split her off her old, open mama. She weighs 350lbs flat. Bought for much less than I sold my heifers at. Tried to buy mama but cows is still too high! The pair would've been over 1600. Cows are still in high demand for slaughter. I've noticed open ones are a bit higher for slaughter as well.
And she's an escape artist. That's why they were there. Nice lil heifer tho really. I'll carry some feed to her for a bit and see if she settles down some.
Should be interesting!
View attachment 30078
She's definitely a looker! If She grows well, from an older cow, might be something to consider..😉

@Travlr like this one??
I did try it. But to me it gets confusing with all projects in one thread.
Bessie started off in the "milk" section.
Eleanor was a "money" experiment.
Then there is soooo many others....

I didn't make a thread for these two but they've appeared in others threads, I'll put em here.
Here's that brindle (half-holstein) I picked up. She should be along with a calf for me about Christmas time! Hehe. Probly bred to a holstein bull. But they made no mention of that. The others sold that day were pure holstein.
Shes certainly got that holstein face don't she? She's a pretty girl. If she does a good job for me (nurse cow) she will get to stick around!
20230625_175053.jpg
Sneak peak of the brahma cross. Don't tell anybody... shhhh!
20230625_174848.jpg
And Milky Way (pair bought cheap) the horizontal beltie??? 🤣
Lil black heifer calf. She's doing well.
20230624_122908.jpg

@MurraysMutts , that Herf/Hol just might end up making you another nurse cow. When I was a kid we had a lot of dairies around here. ABout half breed their Holstein heifers to Jeresey bulls, and he reast us Hereford and Angus bulls, Because Jeresies were just too dangerous. Al of the rown crop famnrs ( mostly cotton back then) had 2 or 3 houses ( shacks) that the farm help lived in. Just about everyone had one of these for their family milk cow, Seems like more had the Herf/Hols than the Ang/Hols. Probably because the Hereford cross may have been more docile. These cows gave plenty enough milk to provide for the family and raise a calf every year., They would use an Angus bull to freshen them, and put the calf in the freezer each year. When the cow got old, and they figured she was good for maybe another calf or two, they'd switch to a Jeresey bull to freshen her with, If they got a heifer, they'd keep it for a replacement, and go back to a beef bull til that heifer was old enough. How gentle is yours now?

@MurraysMutts , that Herf/Hol just might end up making you another nurse cow. When I was a kid we had a lot of dairies around here. ABout half breed their Holstein heifers to Jeresey bulls, and he reast us Hereford and Angus bulls, Because Jeresies were just too dangerous. Al of the rown crop famnrs ( mostly cotton back then) had 2 or 3 houses ( shacks) that the farm help lived in. Just about everyone had one of these for their family milk cow, Seems like more had the Herf/Hols than the Ang/Hols. Probably because the Hereford cross may have been more docile. These cows gave plenty enough milk to provide for the family and raise a calf every year., They would use an Angus bull to freshen them, and put the calf in the freezer each year. When the cow got old, and they figured she was good for maybe another calf or two, they'd switch to a Jeresey bull to freshen her with, If they got a heifer, they'd keep it for a replacement, and go back to a beef bull til that heifer was old enough. How gentle is yours now?
I've got her turned loose at the lease place. She's not crazy. But seems real leary.
When I bring her home this fall, I'll mess with her a bit. Big Sister has gotta come home too. I'll be watching her closely about September. It'll be her first calf. I may put the 2 on my south acre if they buddy up a little

There's that "holstein" cow. Her brindle is just amazing. The baldy calf is just one I picked up to graze a while. She's pretty good kind. Ought to make a few nickels on her this fall. Sneak peek of the brahma cross. Shes mostly hidden.
20230704_093858.jpg20230704_094501.jpg20230704_094332.jpg20230704_094558.jpg

There's that "holstein" cow. Her brindle is just amazing. The baldy calf is just one I picked up to graze a while. She's pretty good kind. Ought to make a few nickels on her this fall. Sneak peek of the brahma cross. Shes mostly hidden.
View attachment 32164View attachment 32166View attachment 32165View attachment 32167
I've seen Hereford/Guernsey crosses that were brindle... but not Holstein But you'd know better than me where the cow came from and what gene pool she swims in.

Hi Murray, I was wondering if you have ever seen a bull calf with a short bump in the skin of the groin area where the scrotum should be, making it really difficult to put a band on it for neutering?

If the dairy she came from has done any crossbreeding with Montebeliarde, that brindle with the white face is very common. They are a french breed used for dairy, and are a much "beefier" dairy cow. They milk good, usually have a quiet type disposition... and keep weight on easily. I like the cross and am hoping to breed my jer/hol cross nurse cow back to Montbeliarde for the next calf. Brindle may not sell well for color... but the calves are meaty and a bull calf would work here for a kill animal... Also some sweedish red and norwegian red crossing went on back several years ago... many dairies looking for replacement cattle that would do a little better in the grazing department down the line.

Hi Murray, I was wondering if you have ever seen a bull calf with a short bump in the skin of the groin area where the scrotum should be, making it really difficult to put a band on it for neutering?
I have not ran across it.
Only issues in that area are making sure to get both when I band. I have had one or two I've had to wait a day or three for a testicle to decend.

I have not ran across it.
Only issues in that area are making sure to get both when I band. I have had one or two I've had to wait a day or three for a testicle to decend.
It's easy enough to put pressure on the belly and force a testicle out, in most cases. By most cases I mean I've never seen one I can't get to descend enough to get them banded... but I haven't seen everything.

I've seen Hereford/Guernsey crosses that were brindle... but not Holstein But you'd know better than me where the cow came from and what gene pool she swims in.
That Herf x Guernsey that Scott bought for Zeke is brindled. She is a lighter orange-ish red that Murray's, but she is striped like that. And more white on her than Murray's.

@MurraysMutts .....do you have 2 Jerseys or 3? Any other part dairy or dairy other than this Herf x Hols? How many calves did your Jerseys each raise in this past year? I did somethng stupid this morning, and I am doing some ciphering on how to best make lemonade out of these lemons I bought! :)

Latest posts