Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

@MurraysMutts .....do you have 2 Jerseys or 3? Any other part dairy or dairy other than this Herf x Hols? How many calves did your Jerseys each raise in this past year? I did somethng stupid this morning, and I am doing some ciphering on how to best make lemonade out of these lemons I bought! :)
Currently have Bessie and Eleanor.
And the new brindle. But idk what she will do.
Eleanor's thread outlines how many she has raised since I got her. I still have her 2? Calves that were on her when she calved. I know. Wasn't expected.
I think I got 4 sold off her so far. So either 5 or 6 for the lactation.

Bessie will take whatever I give her. We went to figuring one time and I think she ran thru 11 or 13 calves for that one time period but I can't remember is that was total since I got her or just raising cheap bought bottle calves to flip as well.

It's a lot to remember. Part of why I made those threads for each cow. Easy to go back and look. Just takes me a bit of time to sift thru

So ummmmm. What did u do!

Ordinarily I have 2 or 3 calves on each cow.

Last edited:
So ummmmm. What did u do!
Well, what happened was.....LOL. No seriusl;y, 3 or 4 weeks ago, a brother went down...hit by a b*tch on her phone, and last weekend we did a benefit ride and concert for his widow. I had a goal of $10k and we got $8900 that day. At the benefit, she told me that Screech had bought 2 bottle claves l;ast April, and now she could nopt take care of them. Can;t tote hay or feed,. etc, and asked me if I could help her sell them. They are a Jersey x Guernsey and a Jeresy x Brown Siss heifers.. 16 to 17 months old now. I knew the place he had got them from. I asked her what she hoped to get for them. She said he had paid $200 each for them, and she hoped tpo get that and p[ossib;y some of the feed they had bought over the last 16 mos. She said about $500 probably so he was hoping to get like $900 for them. I told her not to say nothing to anyone else about it, and I would be over there today. I knew of they were alive they would be worth a lot more than that, and didn't want anyone to take advantage of her. Well when I got there, they were pitiful. Hairy as hell, huge grass bellies and there was NO grass in that dirt lot. Weighed about 600 lbs, maybe 700, but I doubt it. They were obviously wormy and no telling what else. So I told her I thought they might bring $1500 each at the sale next week, so I would just go ahead and give her $1500 each,$3k, for the pair. and take them with me and get them all cleaned up and all, and carry them to the sale next week. if she thought that was fair, She did, I was wanting to give her another $1000 to get to the $10k we had hoped to raise anyway. So, I brought them over to my horse barn, and put them in a 3 sided shavings shed and closed it off with panels. Already started them on my special conditioning feed I mix up. Vet is coming tomorrow to float teeth and pull Coggins, and do some blood work on Smoke. So I will get her to worm them and give them anything else they might need. Anyhow, I was feeling kinda stupid for paying that much for 2 flea-=bit bag of bones. Kept thinking I ought to have given her that $1k I wanted to, and put that other $2k in Zeke's nest egg we are trying to build up for him. But, it made her happy and she said " Screech always told me they'd grow up to be $1000 cows, but I didn't believe him. But he was right, huh? It is like he is reaching out to help me from the other side "

Anyhow, the reason I was asking this , Murray, is because I have decided when I get them in shape, I am gonna carry them to eke. This will give him 4 possible nurse cows. I already been looking, and we can get sexed semen form polled Brahma bulls for $50 a straw. That way, he will get four 1/2 Brahma heifers each year, worth about $2k each. So, that will be better than a one time deposit of $2k. I was hoping you said they were raising an additional 3 to 4 calves per lactation. If we can get 3 more to put on each one of them, that would sell for at least $500, then I'd have those 4 cows generating Zeke about $3500 each....$14k a year. Me and Scott will buy the feed, etc., and buy the bottle calves...so Zeke would get all of that money. @MurraysMutts , if you wanted to put 3 more on one of them per lactation would you do it like add one every 3 or 4 weeks? How would you do it?

Well, what happened was.....LOL. No seriusl;y, 3 or 4 weeks ago, a brother went down...hit by a b*tch on her phone, and last weekend we did a benefit ride and concert for his widow. I had a goal of $10k and we got $8900 that day. At the benefit, she told me that Screech had bought 2 bottle claves l;ast April, and now she could nopt take care of them. Can;t tote hay or feed,. etc, and asked me if I could help her sell them. They are a Jersey x Guernsey and a Jeresy x Brown Siss heifers.. 16 to 17 months old now. I knew the place he had got them from. I asked her what she hoped to get for them. She said he had paid $200 each for them, and she hoped tpo get that and p[ossib;y some of the feed they had bought over the last 16 mos. She said about $500 probably so he was hoping to get like $900 for them. I told her not to say nothing to anyone else about it, and I would be over there today. I knew of they were alive they would be worth a lot more than that, and didn't want anyone to take advantage of her. Well when I got there, they were pitiful. Hairy as hell, huge grass bellies and there was NO grass in that dirt lot. Weighed about 600 lbs, maybe 700, but I doubt it. They were obviously wormy and no telling what else. So I told her I thought they might bring $1500 each at the sale next week, so I would just go ahead and give her $1500 each,$3k, for the pair. and take them with me and get them all cleaned up and all, and carry them to the sale next week. if she thought that was fair, She did, I was wanting to give her another $1000 to get to the $10k we had hoped to raise anyway. So, I brought them over to my horse barn, and put them in a 3 sided shavings shed and closed it off with panels. Already started them on my special conditioning feed I mix up. Vet is coming tomorrow to float teeth and pull Coggins, and do some blood work on Smoke. So I will get her to worm them and give them anything else they might need. Anyhow, I was feeling kinda stupid for paying that much for 2 flea-=bit bag of bones. Kept thinking I ought to have given her that $1k I wanted to, and put that other $2k in Zeke's nest egg we are trying to build up for him. But, it made her happy and she said " Screech always told me they'd grow up to be $1000 cows, but I didn't believe him. But he was right, huh? It is like he is reaching out to help me from the other side "

Anyhow, the reason I was asking this , Murray, is because I have decided when I get them in shape, I am gonna carry them to eke. This will give him 4 possible nurse cows. I already been looking, and we can get sexed semen form polled Brahma bulls for $50 a straw. That way, he will get four 1/2 Brahma heifers each year, worth about $2k each. So, that will be better than a one time deposit of $2k. I was hoping you said they were raising an additional 3 to 4 calves per lactation. If we can get 3 more to put on each one of them, that would sell for at least $500, then I'd have those 4 cows generating Zeke about $3500 each....$14k a year. Me and Scott will buy the feed, etc., and buy the bottle calves...so Zeke would get all of that money. @MurraysMutts , if you wanted to put 3 more on one of them per lactation would you do it like add one every 3 or 4 weeks? How would you do it?
Omg! U certainly did do it!
I knew something would come along for ya. Your gonna love em. And being bottle raised they are puppies. Awesome!!

Being first calf heifers I would NOT push em hard on their first lactation. Going to have to see what they make for milk and how they hold condition.
First calf heifers usually only get their calf and one more. Maybe a 3rd if they are good.

I've been fortunate, and mine have been cows and not heifers. Opal would've been my first heifer until all that sheet happened.

But! U can raise em 3 months and switch em out with another set easy enough!

It's easy enough to put pressure on the belly and force a testicle out, in most cases. By most cases I mean I've never seen one I can't get to descend enough to get them banded... but I haven't seen everything.
Thank you for your reply. I am glad to hear that you are not seeing ectopic testicles in calves.

Oh, I won't be fooling with them much at all, and will probably only see them once a month or so when I go down to the Kudzu place. Scott will have to do the work of teaching Zeke how to raise bottle babies off of nurse cows!
Vet was out this morning., and she wormed them, gave them some kind of vitamin shop, some vaccines ( dunno what..she told me but I didnt focus, so don;t remember...I had my mind on Smoke) and did an exam. She said they were fine to breed, and fairly healthy considering the worm load. Just keep on feeding them my magic formula! She said she would come back when I was ready and give them shots to put them in heat, if I wanted to., then AI them for me: To just let her know when the semen arrived. But Dan came over to get some meds from her, and to check on Smoke, and he told us he still had some sexed, polled Brahma semen in the tank from when he AI'ed those Braunvieh x Brown Swiss recip cows he traded to me for finishing Frank. I had made up 100 lbs of my special mix,. and as soon as they are 1/2 done with that batch I will run them and the rest of the mix over to Dan's place. He has head gates, squeeze chutes and all that right there in the breeding barn. about 5 miles away. Then when Dan has them confirmed bred, I will take them down to Scott and Zeke.

Yes, they are gentle as a lap dog. so not worried about them hurting Zeke. They will calve in April, and yes, I figured we might add one more to them that 1st year, maybe 2. LIke you said, we will just have to watch how they are milking and maintaining condition. Now Gail, who will calve in December, and the Herf- Guernsey cow getting bred right now, we hope they can raise maybe 3 more each. Maybe by year two, Zeke will be getting 4 Brah x dairy replacement heifers to sell, plus 12 calves to wean and sell...maybe even eat 1 or 2. We will keep all 4 cows in that 7 or so acre pasture at Ms. Mattie's house. Don't know if they will over graze it, but it won't matter. Scott raises cotton, corn, soybeans and peanuts, and we plant about 15 of the 50 acre dove field in B.O.S.S. Plus he has about 100 acres total in irrigated bermuda hayfields. What we ought to do, is put all 4 of them over on the 26% Kudzu til we start hunting quail and rabbit in November. Zeke could ride down there every day, and give them some sweet feed in the corral. Don't want them to go to the back and stay there half feral like our Corrs were.

Thanks for the info, Murray. You have been a big help. I still think that maybe my dumb-ass could have done better by Zeke to put that $3k in mutual funds inside a ROTH, but what's the fun in that?!!! . Plus, this helped Screech's old lady out, too.

@Warren Allison , if I may chime in.... I do what @MurraysMutts does... have done it for 30-40 years off and on....the last 2 years I haven't done much with the ankle, then the 2 knee replacements. But my one nurse cow is 5 months bred so will be back to it later this fall... I put my other 5 on a dairy when I went in for the ankle replacement and they are still there...
There are 2 ways to go and it will definitely depend on the cows. Some will do like Bessie... and take most any calf, at any time... but for the most part I find it easier... and sometimes the only way...is to get calves started on the cow, let her raise them up to weaning at 4-600 lbs... and then either get her to take one more until she needs to go dry.... or just dry her up.... You are going to have to monitor the feed and such so if you pull the calves they will dry up... cutting feed towards the end so they are not milking much and the calves are eating good so not stimulating the cow to make so much milk.
My nurse cow that is due again this fall, would take calves with a little work, several times through her lactation... In fact the last time she had some, she had 3 from the start... then came up open and we had a calf on a bottle (from a heifer that prolapsed and died), for a couple days... and we sold her 3 and she took the orphan and left it on her for another 6 months and then she came up bred... weaned him and then when she calved again she raised 3 again... weaned them and dried her up and now she is due this fall... She is getting a little age on her now, on top of my being limited with the replacement surgeries... so has been spread out on her last 2 "times" with calves. But she has more than earned her keep...

I don't try to put more than 3 on a first calf heifer... and she will need to get some feed supplement so she will keep up her body weight and grow and get bred back....and make milk.
I have had as many as 4 in the barn with calves but it is tough... 1 or 2 at a time, get the calves established... and let them just raise them up without trying to switch the calves out....
I don't doubt that Zeke will do his very best... but not all the cows will be as wonderful as @MurraysMutts Bessie is...I have had a few that will take the original calves and refuse to take any later on... If they raise 3 apiece they have more than paid for themselves... and with putting them on and leaving them the whole time... you do not have to push them to keep making "alot" of milk as the calves get older since they are eating alongside the cow.... to keep switching out calves, you need to keep the milk production up longer.... more supplementation for optimal milk production.

I think you are doing "right" with buying the heifers.... and like you said... what fun is money just stuck in a roth... Zeke will be over the moon with all these cows to take care of.
I like the idea of running them at the kudzu place and his going down and feeding them a little grain to keep them tame and coming to the pen... good for them to graze and grow out there... and they will not get gobby fat even if they really pack on weight and better health out grazing...

I think you are doing "right" with buying the heifers.... and like you said... what fun is money just stuck in a roth... Zeke will be over the moon with all these cows to take care of.
I like the idea of running them at the kudzu place and his going down and feeding them a little grain to keep them tame and coming to the pen... good for them to graze and grow out there... and they will not get gobby fat even if they really pack on weight and better health out grazing...
Thanks, Jan. Good advice. :)

@Warren Allison ... What I would probably do, is put 1 or 2 more calves on each one... do them at the same time... so each one thinks they are HER babies... and they will all be about the same age so an older one is not pushing off a younger one... Let him raise 2-3 on each... And... Once they get well established... and you get them bred back... it might be to their benefit to go to the Kudzu field for a few months in the summer... Zeke can go down there to feed some to keep them coming in the pens and check on the calves... they will eat and do good on the grazing.... save the field at Miss Matties for fall or so....... I am talking out loud since I have not seen the set up or anything...
Be prepared for the swiss cross to be a little more stubborn and "set in her ways" ..... it is in their DNA....
And when starting calves on a cow... take and pen them all together.. including her own... and then let them in with her all at the same time... If her own calf stays with her and the "foster calves" are separate, the cow is much less likely to take them as easily.... Tell Zeke that the cow needs a rest from the calves in the beginning... so he doesn't get upset with them being separate... and that after they nurse and all, the cow needs to take a rest again til the next feeding... That it is best for her when she has more than 1 baby to feed... and she will get tired of them bothering her alot for the first week or 2...
Then you can let the calves stay with her during the day and watch them and her to make sure she is not beating up on any one of them... and after a week or 2, and knowing they are nursing and she is "accepting them" , then she is ready to have them full time...
Some cows will "claim one and all" in 24-48 hours... some do not.

I told @MurraysMutts that I thought he got a real deal when he brought Bessie home... Little did he know that she is the tip-top of top quality in nurse cows... And he does have some real good luck with her, and Eleanor both being pretty easy to put calves on...
I had one that was a terrific nurse cow... but she would ONLY take whatever you gave her initially... and that was it... Never would accept switching out calves... Okay... raise me 4 a lactation... we will do it your way..
Had an older guernsey that would take anything you gave her and would let any and everyone nurse her in the field.... anytime... you would see her going along and someone would be following... next thing there was a different calf... she came off a dairy so made alot of milk... I actually had 6 on her since she made so much in the beginning... they worked out their own "rotational nursing schedule".... once they got started good on her....

I just don't think there is any more out there like Bessie!, @farmerjan

After working with a couple other cows, I realize how fortunate I am. Brandy did pretty good but she got unwell and I had to sell her. Eleanor can be a bit persnickity about some calves. She actually shoved this new one down the other day. Then proceeded to start licking on him!! Jeebus!

This time around I took your advice with Bessie, as she CAN be difficult at times. I kept her 2 big calves in the pen with her but seperated by panels. It was the easiest graft to date I think. Kept em all like that for about a week. Her old calves couldn't nurse. Killed two birds with one stone. Weaned the calves AND the two new calves got plenty to eat and bonded.
When I turned em all out she never even missed her old calves.

Bessie has only had ONE calf she absolutely would not bond with. She would allow it to nurse while she was being fed tho. I flipped that calf for a quick profit. Weird how they just won't accept one sometimes. Must be the smell or some other weird thing I don't get.

@MurraysMutts and @farmerjan , thanks so much for y'all's inputs. This is something I know very litte abouit. I had a friend when I was in college, that lived on a big row crop farm...cotton, beans and corn, He had this red Holstein cowm, that he kept in about a half acre lot with a liottle barn and a shed off the barn in the lot. Back then, we had a lot of daairies around here, and spring and fall quarters I would go to night classes and worked at Gold Kist ( Co-Op) during the day driving spreader trucks. We had feed ruoutes too, that we ran every day,,,whoever wasn't spreading....delivering mostly to dairies. I think we had 2 stables and 2 bog pig farms, too. Gold Kist had dairy cow feed , Kow Power and Milk Maker, in 100# and 50# bags. Jimmy was on one of my ruotes and about every other time he had some dairy feed on it. Usually two bags. Had a concrete slab under the shed with a feed trough in oit. Jimmy would go to one of the dairies and buy a calf after his cow freshened, seems l;ioke it was about 3-4 weeks apart. A bottle bull calf back then was $10. Dairymen bred their heifers to angus of herford bulls. Seem like 1 close to me used Brahmas., and these are what he would buy if he found one. Other wise he'd buy Holstein bull claves. He always had 2 baby pics in there with her and the calves, , and I guess 6-8 hens. He raised those 2 pigs and the chickens off the food the cow dropped. He fed her a 3 gallon bucket of that dairy feed, and kept hay in her rack. He had an old small cotton wagon under the barn, that he would fill up every fall with ears of corn he pulled . He'd give her a bushel basket of those ears of corn every day too. So, pretty smart to raise 4 calves, 2 pigs and enough chickens that he sold farm eggs to people. That is the extent of my experience with bottle babies and nurse cows.
Y'all keep posting. I have learned a lot already!!! :)

I just don't think there is any more out there like Bessie!, @farmerjan

After working with a couple other cows, I realize how fortunate I am. Brandy did pretty good but she got unwell and I had to sell her. Eleanor can be a bit persnickity about some calves. She actually shoved this new one down the other day. Then proceeded to start licking on him!! Jeebus!

This time around I took your advice with Bessie, as she CAN be difficult at times. I kept her 2 big calves in the pen with her but seperated by panels. It was the easiest graft to date I think. Kept em all like that for about a week. Her old calves couldn't nurse. Killed two birds with one stone. Weaned the calves AND the two new calves got plenty to eat and bonded.
When I turned em all out she never even missed her old calves.

Bessie has only had ONE calf she absolutely would not bond with. She would allow it to nurse while she was being fed tho. I flipped that calf for a quick profit. Weird how they just won't accept one sometimes. Must be the smell or some other weird thing I don't get.
So, what's it gonna take? Would $2k work? :)

@Warren Allison ... What I would probably do, is put 1 or 2 more calves on each one... do them at the same time... so each one thinks they are HER babies... and they will all be about the same age so an older one is not pushing off a younger one... Let him raise 2-3 on each... And... Once they get well established... and you get them bred back... it might be to their benefit to go to the Kudzu field for a few months in the summer... Zeke can go down there to feed some to keep them coming in the pens and check on the calves... they will eat and do good on the grazing.... save the field at Miss Matties for fall or so....... I am talking out loud since I have not seen the set up or anything...
Be prepared for the swiss cross to be a little more stubborn and "set in her ways" ..... it is in their DNA....
Yep, that is what we are gonna do. Gail is already over there with those 4 remaining Corr steers. When Dan tests them safe in foal, I will carry them down there and bring those steers home. I wont have to fool with them at the dove shoot if I do that. Tina ( Zeke has named the Herf-Guernsey Tina, of all things That kid! ) will be ready to come back then, too. Those 2 heifers are already looking better. They had a heavy tick load too, but those are all gone now. It is mazing what oil and biotin does for skin and coat.

I have heard that about Brown Swiss. Only ones I ever came close to fooling with were those Braunvieh x Rrown Swiss recip cows I bought last winter. They were not hard to handle at all, but they were older and I think got handled all the time., Seems like they would ultra sound them regularly during gestation. Right now, this one is as gentle as any I have seen. She wants to come stand beside you, and kinda lean on you a little for you to scratch her head and neck. She will go to sleep if you do it long enough.

Gail will calve in December, and that calf is going to the CT member who so generously offered to buy it for an awesome price, and just went ahead and sent a check for it right then. It will be weaned in June, but by then she should have another calf or two on her that she is raising. and Tina and these 2 will calve in April. So`, I am glad I bought them and Scott bought Tina, and we decided to try the calf raising thing. It will be easier on Zeke with all of these others when we take that calf to the new owners.

Last edited:
Edited to add: Do you think there would be any problem with those pregnant heifers eating 26% protein forage like that? Does any dairies feed pregnant cows tha high a protein content feed? Never was a problem for our Corriente, but you can't hardly kill one of them if you tried. I should have thought to ask or research before we brought Gail over there?

Latest posts