Murray Greys

Help Support CattleToday:

ekingcattle

Reaction score
I'm an animal science student living in north central texas. Im doing a lot of research into different cattle breed. I had my attention brought to Murray Greys,I like many of the traits they have and ive researched quite a bit on them but I'd like to hear any first hand experiences y'all have had with them.

I raise a few MG's and overall I like them well.
I don't sell at the salebarn though.
My market is end consumer and their interest is not in color, just good quality table beef.
I could achieve that with other breeds as well but I chose MG's. and am pleased.

Pay little attention to breed characteristics.

Pay more attention to the herds you will be buying from.

Murray Grey cattle, as many other breeds, have morphed since breed characteristics were originally established.
They came to the states in the 1970's and were fairly popular for a period of time. In 1973 a Murray Grey bull sold at the Denver Stock Show for $49,000, and that bull has registered progeny of around 900. A few others boast those numbers and more, and their get, and so on (not counting crosses).
The MG association at that time also allowed breed up from just about anything cloven hooved, so that more breeders could participate with so few animals available.
The genetic pool went from a simple line drawing to carnival spin art...with some breeders.
Some also saw value in not monkeying with the genetics as much.

Look at animals with the traits that appeal to you in mind, and realize that they will not be top salebarn animals if that is your business model.
There are more than a few herds in Tx. and Ok. to look at.

We have the same problem with Murray Greys in my part of Australia. They buyers at our local sale yard dont pay for them. Some of my weaner angus steers were sharing a pen at the annual calf sale with some nice Murray Grey steers that were about 4 inches taller than them and my steers got $50 a head more than theirs. They do better not far from here where I think it is local butchers that buy them. So same here, good carcass value but not so much in the yards.

Re: drought tolerance. That is going to depend on bloodlines as well I guess. This is a really cold area at about 3000 ft and one of the well respected older farmers runs a Murray Grey stud despite the local yards. I think he mostly sells elsewhere. This is the coldest cattle raising area in Australia, the feed is poor and it has often been dry as well. Murray Greys do as well as Angus. This stud breeder has a regular customer from the Northern Territory, usually a Bos Indicus area, that takes a semi load of his bulls every year.

So I dont know personally, just heard that they can cope.

Research how well they do in the northern and central parts of Australia.

Breed character defines the breed; those that don't adhear to it are breeding something else. If drought and heat tolerance are your concerns, a brahman composite is your best bet. May even try one of Andy's Tulis?

massey-yes i already raise brangus with good results. i know black is in demand right now but i see trends changing around here to red. id really like to get into red brangus mostly because to get they would handle heat a lot better i think without the black. just like us not wearing a black shirt! and can you tell me much about tuli, thats another breed thats caught my eye

ekingcattle":3vi94b3b said:
one of the things im looking to develop is drought tolarance. how are they with that?
What traits does a bovine have to be considered "drought tolerant"?
If it is the ability to breed on less groceries for a long, long time why not just breed Longhorns? If one breed already has what you are wanting why try to create it in another breed? Just use the breed that already has what you want. A person only has one lifetime.
More importantly, what traits constitute drought tolerance?

You know what he means, Julian -tolerant to a drought stricken environment. Characteristics that have a greater ability to withstand heat like more sweat glands w/ the brahman influence, and also an oily skin, that helps repel pest insects along with a smooth coat. More importantly, a shorter hair coat.

I've heard that the northern part of the U.S. is experiencing drought as well, but I doubt they would care for Brahma-like traits. I understand the heat resistance, but the "drought resistance" threw me. Cooler climates than Texas can experience drought.

drought can happen anywhere in the US... you can have a animal now to suit your enviroment, but the enviroment might not be in their favor next year.... and the ones that have bred for it, might not actually need it... folks can say i need this or that... but most just want it

ekingcattle":1fsm2jsg said:
I'm an animal science student living in north central texas. Im doing a lot of research into different cattle breed. I had my attention brought to Murray Greys,I like many of the traits they have and ive researched quite a bit on them but I'd like to hear any first hand experiences y'all have had with them.

We have raised Murray Greys since 1995 and have been extremely pleased with the breed as a whole. We direct-market beef and sell some breeding stock. The drought of last year and this year has forced down-sizing. The long-term forecast looks better about mid-winter through next spring; certainly hope so.

edit: in 2011 Oklahoma had the hottest average temp (day and night combined) than in any state since records were kept.
The MGs do fine in the heat.

Julian":1qv328ck said:
I've heard that the northern part of the U.S. is experiencing drought as well, but I doubt they would care for Brahma-like traits. I understand the heat resistance, but the "drought resistance" threw me. Cooler climates than Texas can experience drought.

I would agree that heat resistance and drought resistance are two different things, though there may some correlation between the two. In drought there is less feed available, so I would think feed efficiency is key, which is not fully appreciated. Though new research is studying the variation between cows in such. Probably safe to say the oldtime longhorns could survive on not much feed.

As for heat tolerance, its good to see some are appreciating the effect of hair. Murray Grey hair color is desirable for its ability to reflect solar radiation, and they also have good pigment of exposed areas to avoid sunburn. Of course, the rest of the industry is headed in the other direction, as discussed here:

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616

In most areas of the world, cattle destined for slaughter are fattened on grass. In the southern U.S. this requires cattle that are well-adapted to the ambient conditions (high temperature and humidity) and it is usually expected that only Bos indicus or Bos indicus crosses can be sufficiently adapted to such conditions to grow rapidly and efficiently. Since both a light coat color and a short hair length contribute significantly to increased heat tolerance, it is possible that the combination of short hair and lighter coloration will result in an animal with high growth potential under grazing conditions in the southern U.S. without Bos indicus influence.

Over the past two decades black has become the preferred color of feedlot and slaughter cattle in the USA, including the Southern Region. As a result, not only has the influence of Angus cattle increased, but the black gene has been incorporated, through upgrading and selection, into a number of previously red breeds such as the Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc. This is in spite of the fact that black colored cattle will absorb more solar radiation than red or other lighter-colored cattle. Studies by Mader et al. (2002) and Davis et al. (2003) both showed rather dramatic (up to 0.5º) lower body temperatures while under heat stress for white (dilute-colored Charolais crossbred) as compared to black feedlot steers. This advantage is comparable to the effect of the Slick hair gene for heat tolerance reported by Olson et al. (2003).

Effects of heat stress on profits:
http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

Still offering to buy any black hided cattle that has been in the south for generations with above avg weaning weights, adg, and $B numbers so that you guys can go to Montana and Wyoming and get all of the red cattle you want.

Julian":3cqotc0b said:

Of course they do. I guess it means they can live on Air and water and shyt gold bars!

I've had the pleasure of being involved with two great murray grey herds, I was involved in preparing the cattle for show BUT in both cases the show cattle came from strictly commercial herds. The most recent herd I have worked with, the herd is completely commercial in that the sole income of the family comes from the cattle farm.

My experience with murray greys includes:

- nice even temperament
- very easy doing, well fleshed cattle. do well on just grass or hay when you run out of grass. To fatten show cattle we needed very little grain, we had trouble with some heifers getting too fat on simply pasture and oaten hay.
- soft skin and hair coat
- good mothers, they have enough milk and ours practiced communal nursing, never noticed a detrimental effect from that
- cows were producing well into their teens

Ours did well at the saleyards, but possibly because they were in the area where Murray Greys were first developed, so people recognised them for their strengths. SOme of the carcases I have seen were evenly finished and well marbled.

I've always been pleased with murray greys and I'd love to have some, or the smaller version the Square Meaters, oneday ...

I agree with Keren, one of their biggest attributes is their temperament. I've seen them in the saleyards and their the calmest animals their. They were known as early maturing cattle that were ideal for vealers, but a lot of breeders have gone larger with them. Unfortunately they've lost a bit of muscle in the process, and every sire in the catalogues I've seen has a negative score for marbling. And they don't get the same prices as Angus in the saleyards but I think they still sell well. My favourite breed anyway, not that I've had much experience with many others.

You are unfortunately right about the increased frame size leading to lower muscle, which is one of the reasons I think if I ever get cattle they will probably be the square meaters rather than greys. That being said, there are still plenty of very good greys around that are moderate framed (5 - 7, I like a 6.5 - 6.8 frame myself) with good muscling.

Those good early maturing vealer type bulls will give you some nice calves that finish easily and have good marbling. And they do finish easily enough on good pasture though we always trickled a bit of grain to them towards the end.

They do Keren. I like the Willalooka bloodlines and Monterey still have some of that. I think the frame sizes were around 6-7 for these ones. I can understand why they are going to bigger cattle to me it's going away from the strengths of the breed.
starlight.jpg

Freight-Train-JPG.jpg

Steamroller1.jpg

I can understand why they are going to bigger cattle to me it's going away from the strengths of the breed.

I've been happy with what I've been getting with my MG's but i'd lik to see if I can improve on them by using older genetics that are closer to the original breed charachteristics.

I AI'd for the first time this year mainly because I stumbled onto some older bulls that could hopefully infuse some more of that.

Barragunda Atlas
Bimbadeen Westward Ho
Monterey Marshall
Coronation Snowman

In the states some of the bulls can be MG and Square Meater reg if they meet physical req.
Palpating here in the next week.
Kind of excited actually.

Latest posts